Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
Hi Folks

I am having this annoying problem for weeks now. 9/10 times, if i want to make an update on the mac app store, it crahes, (either during downloading or during installing) my macbook reboots. i am trying now to update itunes 11, no chance at all, it freezes during downloading. i repaired permissions and disk. well still same problem.
strange is, (hence this was a time machine backup from another macbook pro, i have this problem on both computers.
i reinstalled osx 100 of times, tried to use timemachine backup, or the migration assistant, created a new user just for the updates, still have the same problems. i am running osx 10.8.2.

Main Computer is a Macbook Pro Retina (this is were my timemachine comes from) Crashes 9/10 times
Second is a Macbook Pro 2010 (Crashes constantly)
Third Macbook White in my office (Worked after several attemps)
all 3 have same tm backups).

can anybody please help me with this. is there a problem with my time machine backup i am using all the time? strange is, downloading osx mountain lion from the appstore is always working.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you tried to make a new User Account, then log into that clean User Account and try there?
If it works there you have User Account problems.

Seems to me that the TimaMachine backup gives you all the problems, 3 machines with the same backup and three machines not working.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
yes i made a new user account. clean one, crashes also.
itunes 11 on my white book just worked a few minutes ago. but still trying on my macbook pro 2010. after reinstalling osx, adobe cs 4 plugin showed up to install, clicked ok. during install it crashes.
after several times, it freezes and then constant beeping 3 times (repeating)
never hat that before.

i am really getting angry ......

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
yes i made a new user account. clean one, crashes also.
itunes 11 on my white book just worked a few minutes ago. but still trying on my macbook pro 2010. after reinstalling osx, adobe cs 4 plugin showed up to install, clicked ok. during install it crashes.
after several times, it freezes and then constant beeping 3 times (repeating)
never hat that before.

i am really getting angry ......

RAM problem, you should try to run memtest or Apple Hardware Test

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
ok, but this was the first time with the beeping. never happened on the other machines. i wonder if there is a problem with my computer settings from the time machine backups (i ticked that also when restoring from time machine)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
ok, but this was the first time with the beeping. never happened on the other machines. i wonder if there is a problem with my computer settings from the time machine backups (i ticked that also when restoring from time machine)

If I were you I would at least try a clean OS X install on one of the machines without a TimeMachine restore and look if there are still problems.
I would stay away from importing all settings, just the data you need.
Settings are also transferred on the main Library, and I think that's why even another User account will have the same problem.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
thx for ur replies guys.

update: now its getting weird: if i boot in safe mode, i can do everything without any issues, first attempt installed.
rebootet in normal mode: tried another app, crashes.

rebootet again in safe mode: same app, no problems.

at least i have a way to update the apps, but of course i would be happier having another solution.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
thx for ur replies guys.

update: now its getting weird: if i boot in safe mode, i can do everything without any issues, first attempt installed.
rebootet in normal mode: tried another app, crashes.

rebootet again in safe mode: same app, no problems.

at least i have a way to update the apps, but of course i would be happier having another solution.

Do you have anything starting up when you login?

Try this, start up normally but when you login you have to instantly press the Shift key, this will prevent any login items to launch.

You should look into Users and Groups, are there any login programs/items there?

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
well i haven't managed to start normally and press shift while loggin in, as my account logs in automatically.

but there are some items on the login auto panel.

jaadu vnc
iteleport connect
trim enabler (for the ssd)
team viewer
istat menu. (but this also runs in safe mode; ok not sure if it is fully running butat least on the status bar viewable).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
well i haven't managed to start normally and press shift while loggin in, as my account logs in automatically.

but there are some items on the login auto panel.

jaadu vnc
iteleport connect
trim enabler (for the ssd)
team viewer
istat menu. (but this also runs in safe mode; ok not sure if it is fully running butat least on the status bar viewable).

Thought about that, didn't mention it, thought you knew auto login should not be enabled.
Is anyone of these running, did it change anything, if not try again but before you do this disable auto login.

Edit: Tip. if you respond to me click on the quote button so I know you responded.

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
ok, i removed all items from the auto login panel.

teamviewer i had separately to disable.

still trying to install battlenations (free game from the appstore)
still crashes, dammit!!! hoped it would work

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
ok, i removed all items from the auto login panel.

teamviewer i had separately to disable.

still trying to install battlenations (free game from the appstore)
still crashes, dammit!!! hoped it would work

Must be in the OS or what I said before, in the main Library, are there any Lauchagents or LaunchDaemons in these folders.

Look in:

/Library/Lauchagents
/Library/LaunchDaemons

Also look if there is anything in:

/Library/StartupItems

brilami

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Sedona, AZ
justperry

i can't believe it, it worked, thank you so much.

the bug was somewhere in the folders, not on the login item panels. cause i removed them first.

after several weeks googling and asking in several forums, u r the first one, who could help me. i can't thank you more. if you wouldn't live somewhere far far away near a volcano i would buy u a beer :)

:D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
justperry

i can't believe it, it worked, thank you so much.

the bug was somewhere in the folders, not on the login item panels. cause i removed them first.

after several weeks googling and asking in several forums, u r the first one, who could help me. i can't thank you more. if you wouldn't live somewhere far far away near a volcano i would buy u a beer :)

Happy it has been resolved.

But, is it?
Reason, yes you can now use the app store again and your OS work flawlessly again but there is something missing now.

Explanation.

In a clean System all of the mentioned folders are empty, they are there for Developers who write software that needs to start up at startup (need Lauch agents and Deamons).

There is a program you installed which installed one of these conflicting files, now, this software does not work correctly anymore.

You have to find out which one is the one giving you these problems, the reason why is that now you don't know which program caused the problem and maybe a year from now you install that same software and get into the same problem.
Will you remember the problems you had now?

That's why it is a good idea to solve the problem now, it isn't that much work dependable on how many files there were.
For your information, the files in Lauchagents and LaunchDeamons are just preference files (.plists) and can be opened with textEdit although you won't find much.

What to do to find out the conflict file.

Simple, put 1 file back in the folder it belonged to, restart and see if the problem reoccurs, if not this file is safe, if it is move it to the desktop and remember it.
Now, you do this for all these files, put the next in and see if the problem gets back, if the first one was ok, leave it there and add a file, each time you add one restart and look if the problem is back.
(Note: if there are files with corresponding names put them both back, see below, I have more files from the same software.)

There is a faster way, work half by half.
Lets say there are 10 files, put five of them inside their original folder restart, if the problem is there it's in those 5 files, half the files again (remove 2) and restart again.

Do you understand what I mean?

In the end you have a file left, you can google it or just mention it here, there is no private information in any of those files, safe to mention them here.

These are in My folders and what they are for:

LaunchAgents:
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist-----Blackberry
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.machangout.glims.agent.plist-----Safari Extension
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logmein.logmeinguiagentatlogin.plist-----Remote Desktop
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logmein.logmeinguiagent.plist-----Remote Desktop
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logmein.logmeingui.plist-----Remote Desktop
/Library/LaunchAgents/at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent.plist-----Internet Security, blocks incoming traffic
/Library/LaunchAgents/at.obdev.LittleSnitchNetworkMonitor.plist-----Internet Security, blocks incoming traffic

LaunchDaemons:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rim.BBDaemon.plist-----Blackberry
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.logmein.logmeinserver.plist-----Remote Desktop
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bresink.system.securityagent.plist-----Carbon Copy Cloner
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B18958B1-244B-42F9-B18A-9C61E80EA1CF.plist-----Carbon Copy Cloner
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.B66BEA1F-A62E-4BBD-92FA-60C7EBD0AD00.plist-----Carbon Copy Cloner
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bombich.ccc.plist-----Carbon Copy Cloner
/Library/LaunchDaemons/at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist-----Internet Security, blocks incoming traffic

StartupItems:
/Library/StartupItems/StartOuc-------------This is a folder---3G USB Dongle
/Library/StartupItems/HWPortDetect-------This is a folder---3G USB Dongle
/Library/StartupItems/HWNetMgr-----------This is a folder---3G USB Dongle
/Library/StartupItems/EyeConnect----------This is a folder---Streaming

Oh, and thanks for the beer offer, sadly a bit far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.