Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:30 AM   #26
testcard
macrumors 65816

Initially it felt a little long, but in the two months since I've owned it, my thumbs have evolved sufficiently to allow me to reach the top corners when using single-handed.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:39 AM   #27
Scott2345
macrumors regular

Perfect size for me.
Scott2345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:46 AM   #28
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Perfect size.

For watching videos, it's as big as my giant, heavy HTC thunderbolt.

Yet it is much lighter, smaller, easy to hold and type on with one hand. And it has much better battery life.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #29
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Ur 5" iPhone felt awkward because it doesn't exist
My mistake I want to write Iphone 5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
Where is he asking others whether he should like it? He's asking for opinions on what others think of their iPhone 5. Isn't the purpose of these forums to have discussions? Get off your high horse.
"Get off you high horse"...what a clever and original phrase.

(Try to note Smilies and their meaning.)

Oh, and thank you for pointing out that this forum is to have discussion. I appreciate your taking the time to explain that to me. I'm so busy on my high horse (as opposed to the low horse I'm usually on), I must have missed that whole "discussion" thing.

Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:53 PM   #31
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
To me it's not about being able to grip it, or to use it with one hand, it's about being able to grip it and use it with one hand. I can't do that with an S3 or a Note.

But why would you want a square phone?
How can anyone not use the S3 with one hand then? Its actually very comfortable to hold and use one handed.
BlueMoonForever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:26 PM   #32
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I just bought the iPhone 5, and I still don't know what I think of it. I mean... what do you think?

U have to develop your right brain. The part that look at a piece of art and goes, I don't know why I love it but I just do!

Now you are not going to start a white vs black thread like 2 millions people already done are you?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:50 PM   #33
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

It's not the perfect size, but I certainly don't find it awkward.
Zerilos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:51 PM   #34
bonskovsky
Banned

The good thing is that when you put the phone to your ear, it actually fits.

One thing that is weird is the screen space isn't properly utilized. Like the Phone app looks off.

One good thing is the back doesn't get fingerprints. I look at the back of mine and think "if they just cut this bottom piece off, it would look normal"

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:12 PM   #35
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonForever View Post
How can anyone not use the S3 with one hand then? Its actually very comfortable to hold and use one handed.
I'm not saying I can't use it with one hand, I'm saying I can't have a steady, firm grip and reach the whole screen with my thumb without it being uncomfortable.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:35 PM   #36
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

To me it feels really awkward, but I don't own one, only have held it a few times, each time I had an overwhelming feeling of awkwardness. But maybe after using it for a while I would get used to it
Shadyriley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:48 PM   #37
bonskovsky
Banned

I'm still trying. It's still awkward. It feels like an iPhone with reserve space for the disabled.

It's like, well yeah I kind of like the extra screen space, but it's not like I needed it. Thanks for giving me this convenient accessory space.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:06 PM   #38
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

Only had it for a week but I am still getting used to it but I like it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:45 PM   #39
b166er
macrumors 68020

I love iOS for the most part, and I'm generally an apple fan, but I found the iPhone 5 to just be not worth it. To stick with the topic- the screen to me is awkward. It does offer slightly more vertical space, but that only comes in handy when I am browsing in portrait. It doesn't offer me anything outside of safari or iMessage, and it's only really doing it's job in portrait.

I prefer wider screens that offer more vertical space while in landscape, because I enjoy typing/reading in landscape. I realize I am probably in the minority, at least on mac rumors. But on the iPhone 5, if I'm typing a text message, I still have extremely little room above the keyboard to re-read what was sent to me before responding, usually you have to just leave the keyboard hidden to read, or use that small little space to scroll with the very tip of your finger.

It's not a huge thing, I know, but when I heard the iPhone was going to get a bigger screen I hoped for taller and wider, not just taller. The iPhone is a great phone, and it's obviously selling well, but after using one I knew it wasn't for me.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #40
bonskovsky
Banned

Sometimes I just don't see how stretching it a little bit could be considered design genius. I mean, it's the back that does it for me, it just looks so elementary.

I think the real strength of the iPhone 5 is the sheer thinness. This phone should be called the iPhone slim, because it's just that thin. Or the Air because its so light.

Hopefully all future iPhones won't be as light.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 PM   #41
HarryFoley
macrumors newbie

Well, when I first looked at iPhone 5 (after iPhone 4 and 4S), its taller design seemed to be a bit awkward. It seemed as if someone has taken iPhone 4S and rolled it over to make it tall.

I think Apple should have added a little to the width as well which would have made iPhone 5 design very awesome.

But still its design is not that bad, build quality is awesome, so it feels fine in hand.
HarryFoley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:04 PM   #42
tiartrop
macrumors member

I wouldn't mind a bigger screen.

But I like how thin and light it is compared to 4/4S, who would've thought a mere 30g makes a great difference!
tiartrop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:26 AM   #43
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Here's the funny thing: When the 4/4S came out you could ask 500 members here what the 'perfect size' was and they'd say "the iPhone 4/4S!". Ask now and the perfect size is "the iPhone 5!".

That's very understandable when you have that kind of loyalty to a brand. But I've played with the iPhone 5 and I still feel the iPhone 4S is the better phone due to it's size (not tall and skinny), it's weight/design and it's build quality. It just feels more like a premium device and the screen ratio is better for it's small width.

I skipped the 5 and bought a 4S for these reasons, but had planned on getting the 5S when it came out. Now, I see no point. I may just wait until next year to see what Apple does with the 6.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:45 AM   #44
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Personally the length feels a little awkward to me; however, when I look at any other iPhone the screen looks smushed now
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #45
bonskovsky
Banned

Day 3, still awkward.

I feel like smushing it back to its original size. It should be a little bit wider, the ratio before was the perfect ratio, I can't grip it right now.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:28 PM   #46
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

I received the new iPhone 5 with open arms, loved the screen size, feel, performance and ergonomics. I don't know if it is the perfect size or not, but its certainly not awkward.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:32 PM   #47
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

3.5" feels awkward now, sometimes with single handed use the the top left is just ever so slightly out of reach.

2013 13" MacBook Air + iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:20 AM   #48
bonskovsky
Banned

I bet the taller screen really helps with racing games and other games where your thumbs were blocking the screen before.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:50 AM   #49
stoneland
macrumors member

I miss my 4 still because of this. I think that was the perfect size, including the screen. I don't really care for a bigger screen myself. But the LTE can't be beat!
stoneland is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone