Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jermaiine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hi,
I just realise that my Realplayer downloader is not working as usual. It does not download videos anymore. But it works on my Sis computer.
Can someone help me?
Thanks!

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
why are you using real player? it sucks on mac, its more oriented to windows.
what vids are you trying to download?
if its youtube and associated sites you just go into window in safari, click activity and highlight the biggest file in the drop down screen and download it from there.
there is also a good paid app that gives you the download pane (like the one in realplayer for windows)

http://www.iskysoft.com/user-guide/itube-studio-mac.html

jermaiine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
if its youtube and associated sites you just go into window in safari, click activity and highlight the biggest file in the drop down screen and download it from there.
there is also a good paid app that gives you the download pane (like the one in realplayer for windows)

How do I download it from the activity? Is there any other free app that I can use to download videos?

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009

You can get that for free, and it's better than that app. Try this extension. I don't know if it still works since I don't use Safari, but it's really convenient since you don't have to convert the videos.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
How do I download it from the activity? Is there any other free app that I can use to download videos?

to download using activity;
while watching a vid of your choice click 'window' in the safari menu bar.
click on 'activity' from the drop down menu,
in the box that appears, scroll down, looking for the biggest file,
double click on this file, it will download the file to your downloads folder or to where you want it, i set mine to desktop (safari prefs.)
and thats it.

but yes, its a lot less hassle if you use a free one. theres loads on google.

kimberleyallen

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Real Player Downloader not working

I have been using Real Player Downloader and Convertor for some time and have found them to be excellent. However the Downloader has suddenly stopped working. I am using Safari on a Mac but I can't get it to work on Firefox either. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled from the latest download several times but cannot get it to work. I have checked all the settings and installed the agent but it just won't pick up the video. I have also tried various fixes that have been suggested in forums but am getting nowhere. Is it due to an update, can anyone help?! Thanks :)

jermaiine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I have been using Real Player Downloader and Convertor for some time and have found them to be excellent. However the Downloader has suddenly stopped working. I am using Safari on a Mac but I can't get it to work on Firefox either. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled from the latest download several times but cannot get it to work. I have checked all the settings and installed the agent but it just won't pick up the video. I have also tried various fixes that have been suggested in forums but am getting nowhere. Is it due to an update, can anyone help?! Thanks :)

I have the same problem as you too.

brybo1971

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011

Exactly the same problem here on my mac pro running leopard. Didn't do any upgrades, was using downloader day before yesterday and it was fine. Today, not a sausage. Can run it but it won't recognise any vids. Also you tube vids playing up bigtime and it looks like you tube may have altered something as text seems different with lack of resolution choices in the menus. Always found realplayer fine, did what i needed until now.

----------

Well would you believe it, all day it didn't work. Tried multiple restarts, messed with modem etc. I posted on here 5 mins ago with the problem and hey presto it started working again on its own, just a few seconds ago. I didn't even close the downloader from earlier. Did someone do something :)

----------

Bum bum bum bum bum......short lived euphoria. its died again. cant even pause you tube vids or download. Even keypresses keep slowing down. Flippin wierd.

Have just noticed ad.doubleclick.net-untitled pop up in the realplayer downloader window. Now i do remember a problem with that in the widgets window a few months ago....i'll be back.

jermaiine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I would like to download videos from other places other than youtube. Anyone has any free software to suggest?

krperry2

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I'm a brand new iMac user. I loved Real Player on my old PC, so I downloaded it for the mac...every time I try to download a video, I get an error saying I can't use Real Player because I have Quick Time. Have they done something to prevent us from using RP? I want to download other videos, not just from youtube, I use the 'Activity" option for YT....

krperry2

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Another reason I love Realplayer, after you download a video you can edit it like "trim' or take a 'clip' & save to jpg. Is there another downloader that does that?

rondaleroi

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Isn't 10.6 SL?

Yes, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. 10.6.8 is the latest (probably last) version of it.

I have put up with realplayer downloader not working for months now, and I am looking for some sort of fix. It doesn't work in any browser I've found, and it used to be a gem of an application. It had worked for me in Mac OS X 10.6.8, and then all of a sudden, it didn't work any more.

Does it need a helper application (such as Perian, which has closed its doors) in order to work? If so, what can I use as that helper application? I do so miss being able to download videos, and it worked across the internet (not just on YouTube).

Has anyone found a solution?

P.S. I will agree that RealPlayer used to be cumbersome on a Mac, but there for awhile it was absolutely brilliant. I WANT IT BACK!

macpronoob

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
mactube

A very old app. Try Mactubes.

Thanks for mentioning this app. Did my first download from youtube and got it to work with iMovie :D. However I did lose some quality on the video.

How can I improve the video quality so that it looks like the original youtube video before download. Thanks!!

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for mentioning this app. Did my first download from youtube and got it to work with iMovie :D. However I did lose some quality on the video.

How can I improve the video quality so that it looks like the original youtube video before download. Thanks!!

You can dl in 1080p or even in mp4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.