Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Just had an awful experience with iMovie. Granted, my project got to be 30 minutes long, which is a lot for non-pro home video stuff, but really is not that long in the scheme of things. By the end, it kept dropping frames during scrubbing, stuttering during play back, corrupting videos in the project, and changing my clip duration settings so much, that I was barely able to finish my project.

Haven't used it for a big project in a while, and must say I expected more, especially on a brand new iMac fully loaded. Is this program only useful for 1-2 minute clips these days? Anyone else experienced such frustrations?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I made a 5 minute video in HD on a Quad i7 2011 MBP (Maxed out). Didn't have those issues.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I made a 5 minute video in HD on a Quad i7 2011 MBP (Maxed out). Didn't have those issues.

Yeah, I've done a few short vids over the years in it too without issue. I'm wondering if it just is not designed for the larger projects. I also wonder if maybe when I migrated to my new Mac if some of the preference files might be bad.....

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
I Don't Think the Issue is iMovie

I would check how much memory you have. I have used iMovie for movies 20 minutes to 30 minutes in length as well as my son for school projects and it has worked fine. I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 8 GB or RAM with no issue.

iMovie and iPhoto are those Apple apps that I think they do well.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Well, I have the RAM maxed at 32 GB. Things turned for the worse when I started adjusting the theme transition pins so they didn't use 6 shots from the same clip in the transitions. I found that process to be very buggy and unstable. That and the fact that after working in the program for 5-10 min, the scrubbing thumbnails stopped working correctly were the two most agitating bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.