Friend's mac deleting things? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
pasystem
macrumors newbie

Friend's mac deleting things?

Here is the situation as far as I know it:

A friend of mine got an OLD mac laptop from her sister (iBook G4, I believe). Her sister asked her not to delete anything until she had a chance to transfer photos, etc. from it. The friend wanted to put some music from the computer onto a flash drive, then apparently changed her mind about some of it or something, so she moved the music from the flash to the trash, then emptied the trash. Apparently after doing that, everything on the desktop was deleted (photos and such that her sister wanted to keep were in a folder on the desktop). The next day, she brought it over to show me and when she went to the documents folder, it was empty as well. She says she went through everything the night before and only the desktop was missing any items.

She says she tried a couple different recovery programs, but none of them would work because the laptop was too old. She and I are both mac-illiterate, so I have no idea what's going on. Unfortunately, I do not have the laptop in front of me and she is sleeping right now, so the only information I have is what she told me. I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this and knows anything I might be able to try later, to hopefully at least recover the files. I'm also well aware that she could have messed it up herself, but she really doesn't have a reason to come tell me about it, then lie.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
pasystem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasystem View Post
Here is the situation as far as I know it:

A friend of mine got an OLD mac laptop from her sister (iBook G4, I believe). Her sister asked her not to delete anything until she had a chance to transfer photos, etc. from it. The friend wanted to put some music from the computer onto a flash drive, then apparently changed her mind about some of it or something, so she moved the music from the flash to the trash, then emptied the trash. Apparently after doing that, everything on the desktop was deleted (photos and such that her sister wanted to keep were in a folder on the desktop). The next day, she brought it over to show me and when she went to the documents folder, it was empty as well. She says she went through everything the night before and only the desktop was missing any items.

She says she tried a couple different recovery programs, but none of them would work because the laptop was too old. She and I are both mac-illiterate, so I have no idea what's going on. Unfortunately, I do not have the laptop in front of me and she is sleeping right now, so the only information I have is what she told me. I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this and knows anything I might be able to try later, to hopefully at least recover the files. I'm also well aware that she could have messed it up herself, but she really doesn't have a reason to come tell me about it, then lie.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
The only way to possibly recover the lost files now is to take it to a professional that specializes in data recovery. Since the files might still be there as long as the free space is not written over, there is a chance that the photos and music would still be there. It is expensive though and would most likely involve having to replace the HDD afterwards.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help