Siri incorrect on the first day of Spring - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Gav2k
macrumors 601

I think Siri has pulled the Information from somewhere squiffy. Educational spring holiday starts march 22nd. That could explain the error.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:41 PM   #27
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
No, I'm specifically referring to when you said that it doesn't matter if Siri tells you a date that's 2 days wrong.

I maintain that 2 days is a pretty freaking big difference and that it DOES matter.

My comments have nothing to do with my experience with Siri, as you seem to assume. Siri works fine for me and I'm not sure why you think it doesn't. Rather, all of my comments are based entirely on your comment of you being ok with Siri making a 2 day error.

I wouldn't be.
Would you kindly explain why it matters ? I mean, why it matters that actually makes sense to everyone ???
SR45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:51 PM   #28
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Would you kindly explain why it matters ? I mean, why it matters that actually makes sense to everyone ???
Because it understands the question but provides an incorrect answer.

Who knows if this is the only one?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:58 PM   #29
sauder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
This is ********!

I'm going to Android ASAP, Apple really dropped the ball this time!

BYE!
I love this comment.
sauder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:16 PM   #30
shiftless
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
I guess screenshots count for nothing these days!
I got the same thing on my phone, I was referring to Siri (the interweb) saying it, it must be true.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.
shiftless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:45 PM   #31
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Siri and I have had a good relationship so far. She got the vernal equinox right. However if she said March 22nd... That could have been our breaking point

Oops, it says for 2014. I don't feel like asking for 2013 maybe she would be wrong if I asked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	403866  
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:47 AM   #32
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
I got the same thing on my phone, I was referring to Siri (the interweb) saying it, it must be true.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.
Ahh I misunderstood, my apologies!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:17 AM   #33
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular

weird, on my 4s, if i ask: When does spring start in 2013?

Siri answer: Spring began March 22, and ends June 21.
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #34
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Siri and I have had a good relationship so far. She got the vernal equinox right. However if she said March 22nd... That could have been our breaking point

Oops, it says for 2014. I don't feel like asking for 2013 maybe she would be wrong if I asked!
And in this, and many other cases, it's WolframAlpha that's providing the answer anyway.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
It helps him communicate. Wrong temperature? Really? haha Step outside. He's retired and plays golf. But it will tell him the forecast, etc.
Compare it to what he has without it. With it he has more freedom.
You can slam it all you want to. I'm not saying its perfect. But I challenge you to spend 3 days blind with no help. Then do another 3 days with Siri.

As for calling the wrong person, not sure he's had a problem with that. Maybe because he's 73 and enunciates better than us younger generations. Plus, since he's retired and bored he's willing to talk to anyone. LOL
this may come to a shock to you but there have been blind people LONG before siri or iPhone or even phones for that matter and they managed just fine. I think you're being a bit melodramatic.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:32 PM   #36
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
this may come to a shock to you but there have been blind people LONG before siri or iPhone or even phones for that matter and they managed just fine. I think you're being a bit melodramatic.
This may come to a bigger shock to you, but we weren't talking about other people. We were talking about my father and siri. So please stop trying to redirect a discussion that you weren't part of in the first place.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:04 PM   #37
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Siri definitely isn't a selling point for me. That commercial with Martin Scorsese was hog****.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:56 AM   #38
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
This may come to a bigger shock to you, but we weren't talking about other people. We were talking about my father and siri. So please stop trying to redirect a discussion that you weren't part of in the first place.
Your pops can't get along without siri? I say vision issues are the least of his problem. Good luck.

Oh and to your challenge I have lived 48 hour blind in med school for a class/experiment another student was doing (wanted to hit it so volunteered). There were actually 5 of us 2 blind, one blind and deaf, one deaf and one that was only forced to wear a patch and plug in one ear. It was quite a fascinating paper in the end. I know it wasn't 3 days but I managed to make it through the 2 days without siri and I can acutaly not think of a situation that would of actually made that time easier with siri. Heck, this was back in the 90's when here were barely cell phones and the 3 blind made it through just fine.

Over all I tend to agree with you that having siri or something similar would be of assistance at times but you speak as if it's the only thing keeping your father in touch with the world and that's simply silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Sometimes you go overboard lol
I expanded, plus not even close to being overboard. The gentlemen acts as if siri is the only thing linking him to the world. Like I said, millions of blind throughout history have made it through life just fine without siri and I suspect his dad could as well.

Last edited by AFDoc; Mar 24, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:57 AM   #39
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Your pops can't get along without siri? I say vision issues are the least of his problem. Good luck.
Sometimes you go overboard lol
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:02 AM   #40
peaceloveipads
macrumors newbie

My husband is legally blind. He has what's called heminopsia. He can see but it's blurry and missing big chunks.

He can play golf but has his partners track his ball. There are many levels of blind. Since Siri reads texts to you and reads them after typing...yes it is VERY handy. Ask any blind services department.
peaceloveipads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:04 PM   #41
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Dude, seriously. Get over yourself. No one's talking with you. Enjoy the finer things in life.

Cheers

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone