Best HD Video Camera? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
thomamon
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Best HD Video Camera?

So I am going to be making a purchase of a new HD Video Camera to start working on some projects. I want to get back into video editing.

Can anyone suggest a HD Video Camera? Something very compatible w/Mac and FCP.

I am was looking at the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or a Canon XA 25, but its not out yet. Also checked out the Canon XF100. I found a review of the top 10 pro camera's and the Canon isn't on there. The 25 is.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Ever looked at the Blackmagic Digital Cinema Camera offerings? They record RAW (might not be necessary for you) and in Pro Res (or DNxHD if you use Avid), though they have a 2.3 crop factor (a 50 mm lens for 35 mm becomes a 115 mm lens, thus wide angle shots require a 12 mm lens) and rolling shutter (can be remedied with FCP X easily).

I will film with them (2 BMCCs) next week and twice after that and primarily choose them for their high dynamic range and editing format recording and the rolling shutter will not be a problem that much due to quite static shots.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:36 AM   #3
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
this is just me throwing this out there but if having a more well rounded package is more important to you than hd then I would recomend doing what I did and buy this camera that shoots in 480p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Canovi...item4ac2820946

and then buy tons of quality accesories used like a manfrotto tripod monopod/crane shoulder-mount/lenses lighting etc.

then invest in final cut pro x for your mac and you should be off the races
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:22 AM   #4
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816
 
MIDI_EVIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
this is just me throwing this out there but if having a more well rounded package is more important to you than hd then I would recomend doing what I did and buy this camera that shoots in 480p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Canovi...item4ac2820946

and then buy tons of quality accesories used like a manfrotto tripod monopod/crane shoulder-mount/lenses lighting etc.

then invest in final cut pro x for your mac and you should be off the races
Do not, I repeat DO NOT 'invest' in this camera. It is completely absurd to be purchasing an SD camera in 2013...

What is your budget, this is first and foremost what you should be telling us!
__________________
Too many cameras!
MIDI_EVIL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Borntorun
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
I have an XF100 and there is nothing wrong with it. Autofocus is its Achilles heel, but otherwise, excellent value for money, considering you get 4:2:2 at 50mbps.
Borntorun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
thomamon
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
Do not, I repeat DO NOT 'invest' in this camera. It is completely absurd to be purchasing an SD camera in 2013...

What is your budget, this is first and foremost what you should be telling us!
I wasn't planning on even looking at that camera, lol.

My budget is around 3k.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntorun View Post
I have an XF100 and there is nothing wrong with it. Autofocus is its Achilles heel, but otherwise, excellent value for money, considering you get 4:2:2 at 50mbps.
Yeah, I am so torn I do not know what to do, lol.

The Panasonic looks really nice as well and I would save some money.

But also thinking on waiting to see the new Canon's coming soon.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
handsome pete
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
this is just me throwing this out there but if having a more well rounded package is more important to you than hd then I would recomend doing what I did and buy this camera that shoots in 480p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Canovi...item4ac2820946

and then buy tons of quality accesories used like a manfrotto tripod monopod/crane shoulder-mount/lenses lighting etc.

then invest in final cut pro x for your mac and you should be off the races
An SD camera is simply not a good investment these days. What good are all those fancy accessories if you're not able to capture a really good quality image. Besides, you can rent a lot of that stuff. Chances are no one needs to own a crane setup.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
salacious
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
well you could purchase a canon 50D, yes its an old Camera but Magic lantern just turned it into big bucks, it records RAW although in its early stages, I use the 600D and to be honest i mix and match it with 5dmk2 footage once graded and coloured no one can tell the difference unless they are really really really noticing.

For a 3k budget i would probably go this route:

1. Panasonic GH2
2. Lenses
3. Audio equipment
4. stabilizing gear (tripod most likely)

gh2 presents good value for money and is shouted out about by everyone i know, you could even go gh3 but most prefer gh2

for audio recording equipment i would go with a tascam dr-60d and a rode ntg-1

also anyone that tells you to purchase an SD camera probably shouldnt be filming anymore, yes its still capable but seriously investing money in old outdated equipment other than film isnt called for, even an iphone is a better solution.
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
thomamon
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by salacious View Post
well you could purchase a canon 50D, yes its an old Camera but Magic lantern just turned it into big bucks, it records RAW although in its early stages, I use the 600D and to be honest i mix and match it with 5dmk2 footage once graded and coloured no one can tell the difference unless they are really really really noticing.

For a 3k budget i would probably go this route:

1. Panasonic GH2
2. Lenses
3. Audio equipment
4. stabilizing gear (tripod most likely)

gh2 presents good value for money and is shouted out about by everyone i know, you could even go gh3 but most prefer gh2

for audio recording equipment i would go with a tascam dr-60d and a rode ntg-1

also anyone that tells you to purchase an SD camera probably shouldnt be filming anymore, yes its still capable but seriously investing money in old outdated equipment other than film isnt called for, even an iphone is a better solution.
I would rather not a DLSR, I already have a 5d mk ii.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Policar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
The Mark II has fantastic video. Worth a try for "cinematic" stuff and music videos, ads, etc.

For more traditional video the Canon camcorders look great and people generally are very happy with them.

If you're looking for cinematic style video and compatibility with your EF-mount lenses the C100 is the best thing going in terms of price/performance, but it lacks functional autofocus, etc. $5500, but then you already have the lenses, so it's not that bad.
Policar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:35 PM   #11
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816
 
MIDI_EVIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
To the OP. You should seriously consider the C100 from Canon. OK, it might be out of your budget, but not by much. Could you finance it? It's a stunning camera, with great ergonomics. Paired with an Atomos Ninja 2, which you can add later, it becomes a 10Bit 4:2:2 capable monster.

I use this combination, so I can vouch for it...

All these folk suggesting DSLRs, especially the 50D...
__________________
Too many cameras!

Last edited by MIDI_EVIL; Jun 7, 2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added information...
MIDI_EVIL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #12
handsome pete
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
All these folk suggesting DSLRs, especially the 50D...
Yeah, DSLRs couldn't possibly be used to aquire quality video.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:35 PM   #13
schopaia
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I second the recommendation for Blackmagic's cameras. That's what I'm saving for.
schopaia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816
 
MIDI_EVIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome pete View Post
Yeah, DSLRs couldn't possibly be used to aquire quality video.
The 50D... Really? It's not able to capture sound on camera, and the fact you have to use a hack, which is pre-alpha, just to shoot video which is what the OP wants to do primarily, is absurd. I would absolutely not recommend a 50D.

I understand the appeal of shooting raw, but it really is overkill for the OP. The workflow is currently very clumsy and you need a hefty post workflow to deal with the massive data and processing. The OP said he wants to 'get back into editing...', not give himself unnecessary headaches!

I'm not hating on DSLRs, I have a 7D, and it shoots 'ok' video. There are major pitfalls with shooting on a DSLR, which are discussed at length all over the internet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
So I am going to be making a purchase of a new HD Video Camera to start working on some projects. I want to get back into video editing.

Can anyone suggest a HD Video Camera? Something very compatible w/Mac and FCP.

I am was looking at the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or a Canon XA 25, but its not out yet. Also checked out the Canon XF100. I found a review of the top 10 pro camera's and the Canon isn't on there. The 25 is.
What kind of projects are you going to be working on?

What is the delivery format?

Is this likely to be something you continue to develop, or is it just to complete a few projects and that's it?

What do you want to edit with?
__________________
Too many cameras!
MIDI_EVIL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:47 PM   #15
handsome pete
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
The 50D... Really? It's not able to capture sound on camera, and the fact you have to use a hack, which is pre-alpha, just to shoot video which is what the OP wants to do primarily, is absurd. I would absolutely not recommend a 50D.

I understand the appeal of shooting raw, but it really is overkill for the OP. The workflow is currently very clumsy and you need a hefty post workflow to deal with the massive data and processing. The OP said he wants to 'get back into editing...', not give himself unnecessary headaches!

I'm not hating on DSLRs, I have a 7D, and it shoots 'ok' video. There are major pitfalls with shooting on a DSLR, which are discussed at length all over the internet.[COLOR="#808080"]
No, I wasn't talking about the 50D but rather DSLRs in general. They're certainly a viable option for many shooters these days. And I think most are aware of their issues by now. Although he later clarified not being interested in them, I don't think it was misguided for someone to originally suggest a DSLR. At least no more than suggesting a camera costing twice his budget even before lenses.

But he really does have to answer your follow up before anyone can provide any useful advice. Knowing his budget is a start, but what he intends to do with the camera still is more important.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:51 PM   #16
baypharm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Ever looked at the Blackmagic Digital Cinema Camera offerings? They record RAW (might not be necessary for you) and in Pro Res (or DNxHD if you use Avid), though they have a 2.3 crop factor (a 50 mm lens for 35 mm becomes a 115 mm lens, thus wide angle shots require a 12 mm lens) and rolling shutter (can be remedied with FCP X easily).

I will film with them (2 BMCCs) next week and twice after that and primarily choose them for their high dynamic range and editing format recording and the rolling shutter will not be a problem that much due to quite static shots.
The Pocket Cinema camera is not out yet...the others are above HD in resolution thus defeating the purpose of the OP. BTW...what is "quite static shots"?
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:09 AM   #17
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by baypharm View Post
The Pocket Cinema camera is not out yet...the others are above HD in resolution thus defeating the purpose of the OP. BTW...what is "quite static shots"?
I meant the Blackmagic Digitial Cinema Camera, that camera has been available since last year. The Pocket and 4K edition will be available this year.
Static shots are shots from a tripod with no pans or tilts or rolls and almost no action in front of it.
I will only shoot interviews and background shots (interviews in front of green), and even if I have to make some dynamic/fluid shots, the possibilities to remove rolling shutter effects are there.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
thomamon
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
yeah, Not sure what the C100 is, lol. Looks like DLSR but is video?

I was looking at the new Canon AF20 and AF25, not sure what the difference is between the two. The comparison chart doesn't work on the Canon site.

Also Panasonic AG-HMC40 I was interested in, got a great review but is 4 years old.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Policar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
yeah, Not sure what the C100 is, lol. Looks like DLSR but is video?

I was looking at the new Canon AF20 and AF25, not sure what the difference is between the two. The comparison chart doesn't work on the Canon site.

Also Panasonic AG-HMC40 I was interested in, got a great review but is 4 years old.
The C100 is a dSLR form factor video camera that uses EOS lenses but offers all the basic consumer video features (peaking, great pre-amps, zebras, long run times and hours of battery life, a "log" mode). It has tons of DR, amazing resolution and color, and is ergonomic and easy to use.

If you like the style of dSLR video it's the best thing going; IMO, the image quality subjectively beats the Epic, F3, etc. and objectively is at worst almost on par. We recently used it as a B cam on a feature with the Alexa and it held its own better than the Epic did. Great camera, but for "cinema" style shoots and dSLR style shoots.

Otherwise a mid-range Canon camera is probably great. They do great prosumer video! For a pro, get the C300 (BNC and timecode sync).
Policar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:25 PM   #20
haze
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I teach video production. For $3,000 what do you think you are going to get that is better than your 5D Mkii? DSLR is the best option in that range with only the BCC be a comparable option. We have 4 HMC40s. The only time students use them is when all of the DSLRs or P2 cameras are checked out.

What doesn't the 5D do that you are looking for?
haze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:54 PM   #21
thomamon
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze View Post
I teach video production. For $3,000 what do you think you are going to get that is better than your 5D Mkii? DSLR is the best option in that range with only the BCC be a comparable option. We have 4 HMC40s. The only time students use them is when all of the DSLRs or P2 cameras are checked out.

What doesn't the 5D do that you are looking for?
Continuous focus for one. I want a video camera, not to use my DLSR as a video camera.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Policar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Then no way do you want a dSLR! (or C100, or C300, or F3, F5, Scarlet, Epic, Alexa, etc...)

Do you need BNC and timecode sync?

I think the Canon you mentioned above and the EX1 and EX3 are all good options, but what you get really depends on if you need a pro (BNC and timecode) camera or are just concerned with ergonomics and image quality.
Policar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:42 PM   #23
haze
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Do you understand about the concept of sensor size and type? A HMC40 has a 1/3 CMOS. The XA25, again crappy sensor. We also have a Panasonic HPX500: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Mounted.html, it has a 2/3 CCD which is really nice. Still not full frame like on the 5D, but kick the crap out of a 1/3 CMOS that is so common on the consumer HD cameras.

What are you planning on filming? You are not getting Shallow DoF or a cinematic look with something like a HMC40 or XA25. If you are filming soccer games with plenty of light, they are fine. The HMC40 has a clean image with lots of light, but in lowlight . . . forget about it.

Anyhow, since DSLR is out, go with the Black Magic Cinema Camera. RAW looks great. Wait on the new 4K if you can, the sensor is much better. If you are leaning Canon, the C100 has a decent sensor. If your mind is set on a "traditional" prosumer camera, get the HMC150 before the HMC40. It is well worth the additional cost.

Here are some sample student videos to give you an idea on the HMC40 (XA25 will be similar) compares to the 5D. It can still look good if you do it right and never at night.

5D: https://vimeo.com/35706815, https://vimeo.com/35611597, https://vimeo.com/55002727

HMC40: https://vimeo.com/54918131
haze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Habakuk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vienna Austria Europe
I bought a Sony HDR-CX730E. VERY special and not offered even by professional cameras: Balanced Optical Steady Shot. Excellent! Exclusive. Almost like SteadyCam!! Look for demos at YouTube. You won't believe it. Even in telephoto shootings. For all of us who don't want to carry tripods. Forget DSLRs—they'll never have such a thing.

Small device, good viewfinder (two), low price. Very good Exmor sensor (low noise in difficult lightings). HD: iMovie edits 1080i, Final Cut 1080p. Both formats supported by the Sony camera.
__________________
Hurry up! Selected & time-limited iOS App Store FREEbies and sales
(German-language blog; but you'll find all links, pics and videos)
Habakuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
handsome pete
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze View Post
I teach video production. For $3,000 what do you think you are going to get that is better than your 5D Mkii? DSLR is the best option in that range with only the BCC be a comparable option. We have 4 HMC40s. The only time students use them is when all of the DSLRs or P2 cameras are checked out.

What doesn't the 5D do that you are looking for?
For narrative work DSLRs are a great option. But they still have many limitations and depending on the type of work he'll be doing they might not fit the bill. I surely wouldn't recommend them for ENG type stuff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
Continuous focus for one. I want a video camera, not to use my DLSR as a video camera.
I think for better recommendations you really need to let everyone know the type of projects you'll be working on.

I would also say that you should never be using auto-focus.
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Video Converter to Convert Video Camera Movies Wicked1 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jan 24, 2014 02:41 PM
Video in camera app vs video in messages - interesting find adnbek iOS 7 3 Oct 7, 2013 08:23 PM
Trying to inport video from a Sony camera via iPad USB camera kit DrivinWest iPad 0 Oct 11, 2012 11:20 PM
Will This Waterproof Video Camera Watch Work w/ iPad Camera Connection Kit? HappyDude20 iPad 1 Jun 17, 2012 10:59 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC