Apple Predicted to Discontinue 17-Inch MacBook Pro - Page 35 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:19 AM   #851
Zendokan
macrumors regular

I'm happy that I bought the 2011 model of the 17" MBP in 2012 when I found out that the 17" was discontinued.

Working as a consultant in the bank, insurance and electronic payment sector, I'm not only happy for the 17" inch screen, but also for the ethernet port and the build-in Superdrive.

I know that progress should not be stopped, so I have made my peace with carrying an USB3toEthernet dongle and an external Superdrive if they are still acquired in a few years when I have to replace my MBP with a rMBP.
Hell, probably in a year, I will remove my internal Superdrive and put it in an external housing when I build-in a SSD.

The only thing I hope is that the second or third generation of rMBP will have a 17" again.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:49 PM   #852
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
I'm slowly coming around ....

I currently own a Macbook Pro 17" (2010 edition) which I upgraded with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of memory, and purchased a Henge dock to put it in when it's on my desk.

I'm one of the people who owned a 17" Powerbook G4 at one time, went to a 15" MBPro after that, and decided I preferred the 17" ... so moved back to one this last time around.

Even a few months ago, if you asked me what I thought about Apple discontinuing 17" MBPros, I'd have said "It's a terrible idea!"

But honestly, now that I've handled more of the 13" Ultrabook portables out there, used a few Macbook Airs, and took a closer look at the 13" and 15" retina display MBPros? I'm starting to think a 17" laptop and screen really isn't that worthwhile. I doubt I'd buy another 17" model in the future....

The main reason I was so pro-17" models before was the need for more screen resolution/real-estate. 1440x900 really wasn't enough space for your application windows - especially when using MIDI and music or video editing packages. The newer, better displays make everything fit without the need to go 17" wide on the LCD. Yes, everything looks a little bit smaller, but realistically, I'm going to have my laptop docked to an external display, keyboard and mouse much of the time. When I undock it and take it with me to use as a true portable? It's better if it takes up less space (like trying to open and use it in a cramped airline seat).

And while sure, you could theoretically offer a retina 17" display with even MORE screen space? There really aren't any video chipsets for mobile devices yet that can push that many pixels around at a decent rate of speed. So in that respect ,the tech. just isn't ready yet for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
I highly doubt it, especially with the different resolutions with the Retina 15" - You can get just as much screen estate as you could with the 17"
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #853
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
And while sure, you could theoretically offer a retina 17" display with even MORE screen space? There really aren't any video chipsets for mobile devices yet that can push that many pixels around at a decent rate of speed. So in that respect ,the tech. just isn't ready yet for it.
I'm not sure that's true. My MBP 17 is hooked up to an ACD 30 running at 25601600 as well as the internal monitor at 1920x1200 without even breaking sweat.

It really depends how much of your time is mobile. A 15-inch screen is just too cramped when you need to run two major apps side-by-side.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #854
MBP17er
macrumors newbie

Mavericks on the 17" in 1920 x 1080 is looking good.

I know the Retina screens look nice but I don't care because I have the Big Daddy of MacBooks.
MBP17er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:32 PM   #855
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Is'n't ut also about time Apple also discontinued the 15-MBP ?

Its the only one with optical drive, and there are external alternatives by all means..

I predict this will have to go soon too.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:10 AM   #856
whitedragon101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Is'n't ut also about time Apple also discontinued the 15-MBP ?

Its the only one with optical drive, and there are external alternatives by all means..

I predict this will have to go soon too.
If it does go they will have a lovely space on their production line.....

17" rMBP ftw !!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:23 AM   #857
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?
When I got my macbook pro last year I got it over the air because it had more storage and I wanted a dvd drive.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #858
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbikeman View Post
It really depends how much of your time is mobile. A 15-inch screen is just too cramped when you need to run two major apps side-by-side.
I guess a lot of 17" owner only spend a quite small % of their time mobile. Even as Apple's 17" was the lightest of its kind back then, it remains a large beast.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion