Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Every time I got in that section, I see a promo offer and all the damn codes are gone! Can a post count limit be made for accessing that section. At least this will stop the lurkers.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why not use Forum Spy to track when new posts are made in that forum? Codes are first come, first served. You snooze, you lose.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I agree with the OP, codes should only go to members who can access the Marketplace. Make it a benefit of being a contributing member of the site. Like the OP, I've seen Guest vultures swoop in and snag codes. They don't have the courtesy to post which codes are taken and they rarely, if ever, give helpful feedback to the dev.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Maybe it should be like the Marketplace and require 500 posts. Of course then the OP would not see it...

Well I have two weeks off, I am sure I can spam... I mean make some informative and educational posts to get me to that number. :p

... and half of the codes must go to Demi's :cool:

just keep it as it; its a free gamble. Sometimes win, mostly loose, ...

I do, but just ain't quick enough on the trigger!

I agree with the OP, codes should only go to members who can access the Marketplace. Make it a benefit of being a contributing member of the site. Like the OP, I've seen Guest vultures swoop in and snag codes. They don't have the courtesy to post which codes are taken and they rarely, if ever, give helpful feedback to the dev.

Yup, be nice if something could be done.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It NEEDS to be done.

If you look at who's viewing those threads, it's mostly newbies who have no posts, or people who barely are active here. So they're getting something for free and not even bothering to give back to the community. It's not fair to the people here who are actually interested in giving feedback, and its not fair to the developers who rely on code sharing in order to make their apps better.

Another thing is that marketing scammers will sign up just to steal these codes in exchange for people doing their paywalls. Set up a page on Facebook, get tons of moronic users to "Like" and give them codes in exchange for them doing a survey to get them 15 cents. So the scammers benefit from having access to all these codes just by signing up to MR.

The whole thing is a lottery sure, but you have to think about the developers mainly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unless I'm misunderstanding the topic (and that's happened before). If we set a post count restriction, wouldn't we be blocking a lot of developers from providing the very codes that members are hankering for?

Many developers have low post counts as they come here to promote their apps and do not interact outside of that promotion.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Many developers have low post counts as they come here to promote their apps and do not interact outside of that promotion.
I know it would add some burden on the mods but could be a kind of verification be possible and check that a developer is legitimate by just clicking his iTunes link ? Could be even automized ...

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Unless I'm misunderstanding the topic (and that's happened before). If we set a post count restriction, wouldn't we be blocking a lot of developers from providing the very codes that members are hankering for?

Couldn't their "Vendor" status allow them access? Or create a "Developer" status?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Couldn't their "Vendor" status allow them access? Or create a "Developer" status?

Yes it possible, but it seems like a lot of work for one sub-forum and only to restrict access to established members. I think we run the risk of seeing less promo codes if we establish more restrictive policy. Just my $.02

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Yes it possible, but it seems like a lot of work for one sub-forum and only to restrict access to established members. I think we run the risk of seeing less promo codes if we establish more restrictive policy. Just my $.02

The number of app offerings could decrease, but probably not. The quality of interaction and feedback between dev and member would almost certainly increase. That in turn should make it an incentive for an exclusive area. Win-win for both groups that matter.

The current system sees a dev give a limited number of codes to the forum-at-large for advertising and improvement purposes only to have a guest swoop in, swipe the code and gives neither back in return. Who does this benefit? Not the dev and not the member, for sure. The only party to benefit is just some drive-by guest.

It doesn't have to be that way.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Screwed again. A dev posts 6 promo codes an hour and 20 minutes ago. All are gone and only 2 reported taken by forum members. It's frickin ridiculous. This BS needs to stop. Could we please get one of the mods to give a ****?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Screwed again. A dev posts 6 promo codes an hour and 20 minutes ago. All are gone and only 2 reported taken by forum members. It's frickin ridiculous. This BS needs to stop. Could we please get one of the mods to give a ****?

It's an honesty system...I agree if you take a code you should have the decency to post it as taken....Unfortunately, not everyone is inclined to do so. I can't really see the value of post count requirements either as they are likely to deter the vendors, who also tend to visit simply to promote their new app.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
you could but... if people lurk on here to get free codes then thats just sad.

I thought people had to be registered to see that section of the forum but I am probably wrong. Lurkers do indeed grab a lot of the codes.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16991791

UPDATE: (At least) another 5 codes have already been used by 5 ungrateful fellows: 4 from US, 1 from Singapore. Next time, I will think twice before offering more free promo codes.

... The rest were taken, without anyone posting that they did take them.

Honestly, MR is going to lose developers if they don't do anything about this.

Most developers post their codes in exchange for some feedback, reviews, and to get the word out about their app. What's the point if none of that is going to happen? People are just grabbing them up in just a chance they might stumble on it later on to use/play.

Sure, it's a hassle to verify developers, but it would be good for both users and developers alike to put some restrictions in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.