Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:47 AM   #26
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
For most things, he Magic Trackpad is amazing, but there a a few situations where you will want more control, in which case, any mouse or trackball will do. Logitech and Microsoft have some good, but cheap options.
Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.
__________________
2011 Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 500GB HDD + 3TB NAS
Haswell rMBP 13" - i7/512GB
Mac Mini 1.83GHz Core2Duo, 3GB RAM, 60GB SSD
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #27
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:47 AM   #28
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.
A big reason why most wireless mouse and keyboard still use a proprietary RF adapter is because conventional Bluetooth is not the most energy efficient wireless technology. This may soon change now that BT 4.0 is starting to be widely adopted.
__________________
Pebble SmartWatch - iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #29
pup
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.
Yes, it has a real click, with an option to use tap-to-click if you prefer. I find the physical click to have a bit too much resistance for my taste, but perhaps it would loosen up with use.
pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #30
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup View Post
Yes, it has a real click, with an option to use tap-to-click if you prefer. I find the physical click to have a bit too much resistance for my taste, but perhaps it would loosen up with use.
Cheers

Next time if I am in a shop which sells them I'll try myself.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:03 AM   #31
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but you can set it up to drag by gesture. I mine set up so that three fingers will equal a drag.
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #32
Neiloid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hants, UK
To drag I click the bottom left corner with my thumb and drag with my middle finger.

I got my track pad after getting my Magic Mouse and it took a while to move over to the pad but I like them equally now and use whichever is closest to hand TBH.

I love 'em both.
Neiloid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
sigh. I loved my magic trackpad. I got a magic mouse and put my magic trackpad somewhere along with the wand that connects it to the magic keyboard and now I cant find it. Pretty sad really considering my room is so small its about the size of a gas station bathroom. Just dont know what I did with it though. I refuse to buy another one since I know its around somewhere.
__________________
A Mac.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #34
blanka
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Either solution is below the experience of a Wacom. If only they could deliver the A4 (big) one at 200 bucks or so, and a little less ugly.
blanka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:27 AM   #35
saha-med
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
i saw trackpads at macsales much cheaper. Their refurb keyboard is also cheap.

Anyone know if their refurb products are of good quality (although they have warranty its gonna cost me a bomb to ship it back thats why)
saha-med is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse [for Mac mini] fatlardo Mac Peripherals 10 Apr 4, 2013 04:12 PM
Has Anyone Tried The Mobee Magic Numpad for Apple Magic Trackpad? beeinformed Mac Peripherals 0 Jan 29, 2013 05:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC