Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:47 AM   #26
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
For most things, he Magic Trackpad is amazing, but there a a few situations where you will want more control, in which case, any mouse or trackball will do. Logitech and Microsoft have some good, but cheap options.
Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #27
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:47 AM   #28
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Yeah... there's no reason you can't use both a trackpad and mouse simultaneously

Most of the time I use my trackpad on my Mini, but when I fire up Portal 2 I grab the logitech mouse from its charger, and certain apps that work better with a mouse (lots of clicking/dragging).

The only downside to the trackpad is that it eats batteries quickly. I've gotten into the habit of turning mine off every time I'm done using the system which really helps. I'm at about 6 months on my original set of batteries with about 60% life remaining.

My old logitech wireless keyboard (predates bluetooth) is super-efficient though. The original set of AA batteries had corroded by the time they needed to be replaced, and that's with nearly daily usage. When I retired my old Windows tower I moved that keyboard to my new Mini.
A big reason why most wireless mouse and keyboard still use a proprietary RF adapter is because conventional Bluetooth is not the most energy efficient wireless technology. This may soon change now that BT 4.0 is starting to be widely adopted.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #29
pup
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I would like to buy one but only if it has a physical switch.

So, does it have a real click or what I read somewhere pressure sensitive rubber feet.
I hate tap to click, it never seems to work with me, clicks when I don't want and visa versa.
Yes, it has a real click, with an option to use tap-to-click if you prefer. I find the physical click to have a bit too much resistance for my taste, but perhaps it would loosen up with use.
pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #30
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup View Post
Yes, it has a real click, with an option to use tap-to-click if you prefer. I find the physical click to have a bit too much resistance for my taste, but perhaps it would loosen up with use.
Cheers

Next time if I am in a shop which sells them I'll try myself.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:03 AM   #31
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but you can set it up to drag by gesture. I mine set up so that three fingers will equal a drag.