Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I'm trying to make a better workflow (that is, I'm trying to make *a* workflow) for managing my videos. Edited in Final Cut Studio, exported for DVD and for the Web. I'd like to encode the videos in Ogg Theora format to support the upcoming HTML5 <video> support in Firefox, and also in H.264 format for Safari/Chrome/iPhone/Flash/the rest of the world. The technique is described here. Yes, I know how decrepit and crappy Theora is and realize it would have been so much nicer if Mozilla would have gotten off their politics and just licensed H.264, but Firefox's market share is greater than Chrome, Safari, and Opera combined, so them's the breaks. Hopefully Mozilla will soon realize that H.264 is pretty much where it's at and license a decoder.

For the DVD I'm importing a single file exported from Final Cut with embedded Chapter points.

Is there a way to split a Quicktime movie on the chapter points and segment the files? That way, I could have a single file exported from Final Cut to use as a base for both DVD's and the web. I'm pretty sure tools like ffmpeg2theora aren't going to do this. I've never really used Compressor very much, but upon trying to set up a Theora job it fails. Every single time.

Has anyone gotten anything like this to work?

topfunky

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
Maybe AppleScript?

I need to find or write something exactly like this within the next month.

I think you could do it with AppleScript, but I haven't seen an example in the wild.

pearsonjc

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
JES Deinterlacer can split on Chapter Markers

http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html#DEI

I had made a request to the developer for such a function and he quickly complied:D

Once you've assigned your .mov file (with Chapters) as the Input, then check the "Chapter=batch" box, and shortcuts to the Chapter clips are immediately added to the same folder that holds your .mov file. Each one has a filename that is the same as the .mov file, but with "ref n" added at the end.

If you want to deinterlace and convert the clips, you can go ahead and run JES Deinterlacer.

But you can use the shortcuts as inputs to other software as well.

--John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.