Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 10, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
chambord
Banned

Source of this original art?

Hi all,

I came across this picture while reading about North Korea a while back (no politics, please!) I've been a fan of propaganda art for a whole, so I like this piece of art they are holding up in this picture (although I don't like what it stands for.)

I was curious if anyone had a link to the original piece of propaganda art that is featured here? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	411689  
chambord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambord View Post
Hi all,

I came across this picture while reading about North Korea a while back (no politics, please!) I've been a fan of propaganda art for a whole, so I like this piece of art they are holding up in this picture (although I don't like what it stands for.)

I was curious if anyone had a link to the original piece of propaganda art that is featured here? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you
I find your endeavor of collecting propaganda art to be fascinating. While I'm sorry I can't be of any help in finding the art work pictured, I am curious if this a an hobby, or related to some work you are doing.

If this question somehow takes you into the area of PRSI, or if it's just none of my damn business...just ignore my question.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I found this link here:
http://www.pressherald.com/news/nati...013-03-31.html

Where under the image you are directed to Maine Today to purchase a print of this image. Something tells me, or I hope, they wouldn't sell a print of an image they didn't have rights to. Not crediting the photographer is odd so I wonder if you couldn't call their offices and ask. It really depends how much you want to know who took the original image.

It's a neat little treasure hunt for sure, good luck.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
chambord
Banned

It's just a hobby I love the style of it. I also like the Russsian space propaganda art. In this particular piece, the AK47 looks magnificent (that gun is a work of art in its own right), the colors are so bold, and it gets its message across without having to read Korean. I have several pieces. But I especially love this piece.

What is PRSI? If you mean like PTSD, then no
chambord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambord View Post
It's just a hobby I love the style of it. I also like the Russsian space propaganda art. In this particular piece, the AK47 looks magnificent (that gun is a work of art in its own right), the colors are so bold, and it gets its message across without having to read Korean. I have several pieces. But I especially love this piece.

What is PRSI? If you mean like PTSD, then no
PRSI is a sub forum here on MR...Politics, Religion, and Social Issues.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Just a suggestion that you might try Google image search - but it might be something of a challenge due to the "picture of a poster" nature of what you're looking for.

Or, do a Google search for "north korean propaganda poster" and take a look at the images it offers up.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Just a suggestion that you might try Google image search - but it might be something of a challenge due to the "picture of a poster" nature of what you're looking for.
I was going to suggest this too. The OP could crop out the people and use google image search to find similar images. It is worth a shot.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
heehee
macrumors 68020

Try TinEye reverse image search. I would help but I'm on my phone.
heehee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

I agree that this is an interesting area of study and research. I suspect that a lot of the original inspiration came from state propaganda of the Soviet era in the USSR.

Here, the ironic thing is that immediately after the Revolution[s] in 1917, most of the intelligentsia (including the artistic intelligentsia) sided with the revolutionaries (Tsarist Russia had been a by-word for reactionary attitudes for ages).

Thus, in practice, this meant that early Soviet art was both cutting edge in the sense of modernity and widely known and accessible. It was also necessary as a tool of communication as - in the early days at least - literacy was a problem in the USSR, (a mass education drive addressed some of these deficiencies) and later, in some of the successor states as well, such as Korea, and indeed, earlier on, China. Thus, striking, eye-catching posters, radio and film were all important aids in promoting the message of the revolutionary state.

Artists such as Pen and Chagall and Mayakovsky ran 'schools' - the so-called 'Russkii Avant-Garde' [one such was in Vitebsk, in modern Belarus, the birthplace of Chagall, which I was lucky enough to be able to visit some years ago] in the early Soviet era with the noble aim of 'bringing art to the masses', before times changed, and with it, artistic fashion, which meant that by the 30s, many of the best artists from the early Soviet times had ended up in western Europe or, later still, the US, as they had fallen out of favour with Stalin, whose own taste was conservative and very literal in what he wished art to portray.

This meant that even when it descended into crudest state propaganda, there was a peculiar strength to some of that Soviet art from the Stalinist era - those blocs of solid strong colours, (combinations of black, white and red predominated), striking composition, stark lines. This taste in art and propaganda was exported to countries which were ideologically attracted to the Soviet revolution after WW2 (China and Korea come to mind) with local embellishments and variations in the imported themes, (the old 'Communism With Chinese Characteristics' idea).

Years ago, shortly before the old USSR collapsed, I (bought, in the Hermitage, in what was then Leningrad,) and subsequently read an amazing (and occasionally unintentionally hilarious) book of Soviet propaganda art. Among other things, this showed examples of the art of regional revolutionary regimes which also included their respective depictions of Lenin. Thus, some far eastern variations showed a Lenin with pronounced Asiatic features; some communist African states had a black Lenin, and so on. On that trip, I also bought some large posters and maps - which are now history rather than propaganda, and thus, even more interesting.
Scepticalscribe is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion