Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:43 AM   #351
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ?
the main thing annoying to me about the lack of opticals isnt that I burn discs. It's that I would have to buy a DVD drive just to load software I already own.
Of course as we get farther down the road with Mac OS all the old optical disc based software will just get obsolete. Which kinda sucks for orphaned stuff that isn't being updated.
Of course the only people that care about this are gamer nerds and music software nerds.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:57 AM   #352
RBR2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
the main thing annoying to me about the lack of opticals isnt that I burn discs. It's that I would have to buy a DVD drive just to load software I already own.
Of course as we get farther down the road with Mac OS all the old optical disc based software will just get obsolete. Which kinda sucks for orphaned stuff that isn't being updated.
Of course the only people that care about this are gamer nerds and music software nerds.
"It is what it is." "That's just the way it is."

However one looks at it, Apple have chosen a path that does not include internal optical drives. According to many, the reason is that fewer people are using them anyway and so why bother? Even among the group that uses an optical drive, the number of occasions they use the device is simply not that great and is declining all the time. As the market has gone mobile, being able to shed the optical drive provides more freedom of design and enables a more compact device. People really are not enamored of hauling around a lot of weight. Just look at the new Macbook Air. It promises to be a huge hit because it is light, compact and offers the promise of excellent battery life. What's not to like?

Although PC manufacturers have not yet dropped the optical drive from their mainstream laptops, the ones intended to compete with the Macbook Air have and I can only guess how long it will be before the "full size" laptops drop the optical drive to shed some weight.
RBR2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:03 AM   #353
tywebb13
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR2 View Post
That's just the way it is.
No. That's just the way it isn't.

I use the optical drives all the time and want blu-ray in the new computers please. If apple won't provide this there are plenty of others who will (and do).
tywebb13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:36 AM   #354
RBR2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywebb13 View Post
No. That's just the way it isn't.

I use the optical drives all the time and want blu-ray in the new computers please. If apple won't provide this there are plenty of others who will (and do).
Native Blu-Ray support is supposedly coming with the new Mac Pro. We will have to wait and see if the same will be true for the rest of the lineup. Buffalo has a solution presently I am told.
RBR2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:14 AM   #355
lombax54
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling7 View Post
I had the money ready on Monday, but I'll be hanging onto it until this update is a fact. And not a day longer.
Same here...
lombax54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:42 PM   #356
emton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombax54 View Post
Same here...
6 hours of reading/watching reviews and countless more hours sitting and pondering and wavering later, I too am waiting patiently with money in hand for the haswell upgrade to the rmbp 13 inch!

sigh...
emton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:02 AM   #357
prospervic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Optical drive liberation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR2 View Post
However one looks at it, Apple have chosen a path that does not include internal optical drives. According to many, the reason is that fewer people are using them anyway and so why bother? Even among the group that uses an optical drive, the number of occasions they use the device is simply not that great and is declining all the time. As the market has gone mobile, being able to shed the optical drive provides more freedom of design and enables a more compact device. People really are not enamored of hauling around a lot of weight. Just look at the new Macbook Air. It promises to be a huge hit because it is light, compact and offers the promise of excellent battery life. What's not to like?
Indeed. Funny thing about the optical drive, in the last three years I've only ever used it when I was at home, and only once had the occasion to use it while I was out and about with my MacBook Pro (and that was due to bad planning). So, in preparation for buying my retina 15 inch MBP, I bought a Samsung external optical drive (it was only 30 bucks). It gets only occasional use, even with my wife and I sharing it (she has a 13 inch MBA). The Samsung has a little weight to it (probably due to the housing), and it sure is nice not having to lug it everywhere my MacBook goes when it's not even needed.
prospervic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:59 PM   #358
Razormau5
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tywebb13 View Post
No. That's just the way it isn't.

I use the optical drives all the time and want blu-ray in the new computers please. If apple won't provide this there are plenty of others who will (and do).
Then you should probably go and buy one of those, Apple aren't going to cater for the few when leaving it out means they can do more with the hardware that goes into them, so you will either have to put up or find another manufacturer. They certainly aren;t in that poor of a state to need to worry about the few potential buyers not willing to part with their cash for the sake of a DVD player.
Razormau5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:57 PM   #359
umbilical
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
maybe for october? or december? I need it now!!!
umbilical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:16 PM   #360
tijj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
I was all set to purchase a maxed out 15" Retina MacBook Pro after WWDC. I did expect them to update the machines at that time and I was surprised that they didn't. But unlike some of the other posters on here I'm not mad about it. Dissapointed, yeah but not mad.

The keynote was very entertaining I really enjoyed the playfulness that Greg Fegorini displayed with the crowd and I really liked the unveiling of the new Mac OS X Mavericks and iOS 7. The Mac Pro was a bonus and I am also really happy that Apple is turning to PCIe based SSD sticks as opposed to the SATA ones.

So overall I am happy to wait. I fully expect Haswell, increased battery life, PCIe SSD's and 802.11ac networking (Already got an 802.11ac router!).

I think the reason that they delayed the machines is because of Thunderbolt 2. I think that for them is an important specification to add to a "Pro" notebook while the MacBook Air doesn't really need it and since the Air lacks a Retina display I think it shows they are willing to withhold the "Best" stuff from the Air while the Pro could stand to wait for something like Thunderbolt 2. I think that is also the reason the Mac Pro is being delayed however they obviously want to wait for Ivy Bridge-E before they release that machine so that is another fa<i>Craig Federighi?</i>
Craig Federighi?
tijj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:47 PM   #361
diegocomerci
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by yycguy View Post
I am going to wait and get me one of these bad boys!!
You shouldn't wait any longer man. Go and get it.

I wrote about this beauty at http://www.squidoo.com/macbook-pro-r...onest-thoughts
diegocomerci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:29 AM   #362
yrelyk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I do not think a Haswell 15-inch rMBP will happen...atleast not without a redesign. Here is why.

The Air obtained better battery life by going from a 17W TDP CPU to a 15W CPU. The benchmarks that surfaced for the 13-inch rMBP have a 28W CPU and the old generation has a 35W CPU. This suggests better battery life on this model.

However, the new Haswell CPUs that would go into the 15-inch rMBPs are 47W, up from Ivy Bridge's 45W. So Apple will either have to sacrifice battery life on these models or make the laptop thicker to accommodate a bigger battery. I see them doing neither.

Keep in mind that Apple tests configurations that will never be released such as the AMD Macbook Air's (with APUs) that were to come before the Ivy Bridge air's.

Besides lower power (and thus battery life), the only thing Haswell brings is better GPUs. Since the 15-inch models have dedicated graphics they do not require such GPUs. For these reasons I see no benefit of a 15-inch rMBP with Haswell CPUs. The 13-inch model can benefit since it has no discreet GPU.

/my 2 cents
yrelyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 04:03 AM   #363
yrelyk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezonat0r View Post
Since the 13" now has essentially the same cooling system (i.e. two fans) as the 15", I don't see a reason they can't let me buy a 13" with 4 Haswell cores and 16GB RAM.

EDIT: Indeed, Apple always blows out their current models for back-to-school suckers. Any updates are going to come at least 14 days after that promotion has ended.
I agree with the back to school suckers...I was one of them (the $100 gift card is nice) I ordered a 13-inch 3Ghz 8GB 256GB. However, there are 2 reasons you will not see a quad core CPU in the 13-inch model (yet). For one, the only CPU that would work (i7-4702MQ) is a 37W CPU (up from 35W). This would decrease battery life unless apple makes it even thicker to accommodate a bigger battery. Also, this CPU only has Intel HD 4600 (GT1) graphics...where as the 28W CPUs (which would offer much better battery life) have the 5200 GT2 graphics.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this just isn't going to happen with Haswell. Also see my post about no Haswell 15-inch model for the same reasons (higher wattage CPUs and the 15 will not benefit from better iGPU as it has dedicated graphics).
yrelyk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #364
yrelyk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurim View Post
I really dislike that people have started saying "dongle" when they mean "adapter". They are different things.

A dongle is a small piece of hardware that attaches to computer, TV, or other electronic device and enables additional functions such as copy protection, audio, video, games, data, or other services that are only available when it is attached. The term "dongle" was originally used to refer only to software-protection dongles.

For example, in order to use software called PlayBack Pro, you need the usb dongle to authenticate your machine (although they have made a digital version of the dongle now to make it easier for someone to rent their license). QuarkXPress use to also require a dongle for each computer, not sure if it still does.

I too use software dongles (ProTools). However, do you remember PCMCIA or Cardbus ethernet adapters? They too used "dongles" to get from a tiny port to full sized ethernet. So yes dongle can refer to both.
yrelyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:00 PM   #365
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrelyk View Post
However, there are 2 reasons you will not see a quad core CPU in the 13-inch model (yet). For one, the only CPU that would work (i7-4702MQ) is a 37W CPU (up from 35W). This would decrease battery life unless apple makes it even thicker to accommodate a bigger battery.
Why do you assume that a 37 watt TDP CPU would decrease battery life compared to an earlier generation 35watt TDP CPU?

One thing that anyone with any recent laptop knows is that "if you push them hard, they get hot, the fans come on, and the battery is drained".

Many of the "power saving" features of newer CPUs apply to dropping the power consumption under light or idle loads.

If your use is "typical", a new 37watt CPU may give you much longer battery life than an older 35watt CPU. If you push them to the limit - maybe not much better.
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 04:43 PM   #366
laurim
macrumors 6502a
 
laurim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minnesota USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrelyk View Post
I too use software dongles (ProTools). However, do you remember PCMCIA or Cardbus ethernet adapters? They too used "dongles" to get from a tiny port to full sized ethernet. So yes dongle can refer to both.
But if they are "adapting" one port to another, that's an adaptor, not a dongle. Did they have an internal intelligence that, without it, the ethernet wouldn't work? Were they specific to an owner? Without that, it's not a dongle.
__________________
2013 MacPro, 8-core, 32 GB RAM; Two 17" 2011 MacBook Pros; 17" 2008 MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S; AppleTV 2; iPod nano; 3T Time Capsule; 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
laurim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:17 AM   #367
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Why do you assume that a 37 watt TDP CPU would decrease battery life compared to an earlier generation 35watt TDP CPU?

One thing that anyone with any recent laptop knows is that "if you push them hard, they get hot, the fans come on, and the battery is drained".

Many of the "power saving" features of newer CPUs apply to dropping the power consumption under light or idle loads.

If your use is "typical", a new 37watt CPU may give you much longer battery life than an older 35watt CPU. If you push them to the limit - maybe not much better.
Not to mention the fact that Intel moved quite a few things from the mainboard to the CPU package itself with Haswell (power regulators come to mind). Of course Haswell will have a higher TDP, but the mainboard will have less.
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:08 AM   #368
Diatribe
macrumors 601
 
Diatribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Back in the motherland
So who thinks that the new MacBook Pros might get the fingerprint sensor? I for one think that would be really cool but I think Apple might be inclined to first learn from the iPhone, then put it on the iPad and then into their notebooks.
__________________
Knowledge - fueled by curiosity
Mac Beginner's Guide | My Adium Xtras
Diatribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When can we expect a Macbook Pro Retina refresh? Tydog07 MacBook Pro 18 Jan 21, 2014 02:05 PM
What do you expect to see from new MacBook Pro? phillyfan9090 MacBook Pro 43 Aug 10, 2013 11:38 PM
Do you guys expect a lot from your MacBook Pro's? Bankaimadness MacBook Pro 51 Jan 3, 2013 04:10 AM
so what could we expect from macbook pro 2013 ? keramidas Wasteland 3 Jun 8, 2012 01:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC