Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 8, 2013, 09:03 AM   #26
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
EDIT: Thought this model wasn't in the first post because I clicked the wrong link.

I just ordered the Plugable USB 3.0 7 Port hub, arriving today.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA9GXKM

28 reviews, 5 stars, many of are Mac users.

Didn't care about looks. But it's not that bad since it has the USB ports on top, and angled. Plus the power supply and USB cable are on the same side. I mention that since that Satechi may look the best, until you see it with cable sticking out each end.

Not sure about how it handles charging iPhones and iPads, but they have a deal where if you buy this hub, you can get their 1A power usb adapter for $2 each. Not sure if it can supply full power for an iPad, but could also be handy on the go to for tricky USB ports with USB-Thunderbolt cables.

I had to get this for my external USB 3.0 drive and keyboard and mouse used on a Early 2013 rMBP 15'. I was planning to use my Dell 30" USB 3 hub, but when you power the monitor off, it kills the USB ports too.
Funny looking 7 port hub...guess 6 are hidden.

Seriously, be thankful you were not around during the Plugable debacle.

Their hubs did not work with new rMBP's and they blamed Apples new OS release.

Turned out to be their product all along (after almost 6 months of denial)

You should be good now and I use their 4-port with no issues.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2013, 05:09 PM   #27
TimothyB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Funny looking 7 port hub...guess 6 are hidden.

Seriously, be thankful you were not around during the Plugable debacle.

Their hubs did not work with new rMBP's and they blamed Apples new OS release.

Turned out to be their product all along (after almost 6 months of denial)

You should be good now and I use their 4-port with no issues.
Whoops, I'll update the post. Guess I had the darn power adapter offer they have in the clipboard. Plugable 7-port Hub

I haven't set the thing up yet, been juggling files between drives transitioning from PC to Mac and consolidating to one drive that's backed up to Time Machine.

I can report couple things so far. Port have a tight grip, so if you are constantly unplugging things, place it where you can comfortably hold it down at the same time. When plugging anything in, the ports sound and feel gritty, like rough rock. Not pleasant compared to most USB ports. Not having a USB hub in the past, seeing how large this is in person, I'll now pay attention to ones that are sleek for future purchases. It should stay put on a surface. Instead of four rubber feet, it has long rubber strips on left and right sides, but looks glued on compared to most feet that are partially recessed.

Glad I avoided those issues, especially over a USB hub. Switching to Mac, and reading reviews, I decided it was best to narrow my choices to devices that has many positive reviews for Mac, just to avoid any unexpected compatibility issues.

Last edited by TimothyB; Nov 8, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
TimothyB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 04:03 PM   #28
TheyCallMeBT
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalb View Post

It works great with all the usb 1 and usb 2 peripherals I have but the only USB 3 items – both hard disks demount at odd moments – such as in the middle of a file xfer or opening the disk window. This leads to a corrupted disk and requires erasing and reformatting. Althernatively when using the disk the system will report error code -50 and do nothing.

So you're saying that just plugging in the USB 3 HDD makes it mount and demount, and results in the USB 3 disk becoming corrupted and losing your data? Do I have that right? I do video production for a living, and I have two USB2 drives and one USB3 drive. The thought of that happening to me... well, I'd be SOL.

If I understood that correctly, will you post the link to that one so that I know to avoid it?
TheyCallMeBT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:25 AM   #29
MisteurJ
macrumors newbie

Mavericks compatibility ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarti View Post
I just bought Anker 10port Mac Style usb 3.0 hub after reading reviews.

It looks a bit odd but it is aluminium style instead of the plastic and has powerful power adapter.
Hi,
do you know if this one works with Mavericks 10.9 and/on a late-2012 iMac ?

Just saw it's the VL811 iniside, not the last revision...

Last edited by MisteurJ; Nov 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
MisteurJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:36 AM   #30
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

HooToo® HT-UH006 USB 3.0 Hub 7-Port

HooToo® HT-UH006 USB 3.0 Hub 7-Port Bus-Powered (5V/3A Power Adapter, Latest VIA VL812 Chipset, 3.3 feet USB 3.0 Cable), Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 and Supporting Windows / Mac / Linux OS:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKOVVR4/

Pros:
- Small, energy efficient power supply
- Power indicator
- Surge protection
- Enough space between the USB ports
- Retains the USB 3.0 device speed (various users report this)
- Compatible with USB 3.0 Macs (OS X 10.8.5+)
- Flat design, with the incoming data port on one side, and the outgoing data ports on the other side. That design sounds reliable.
- Standard, 5 V power connector, so that you can replace the power supply, if necessary.
- The hub works also without a power supply, if necessary.
- The price is low, compared to other 7 port USB 3.0 hubs.

Cons:
No visible shielding. That’s probably no big problem, if you use double shielded USB 3.0 cables. Users report no problems with 2.4 GHz devices (keyboard & mice). User “tmwsiy” writes on newegg.com:
“The overview of this product states that wireless KBs and mice may not work correctly with this device but I have not had any issues. My computer sits on a credenza behind my desk and I had my wireless receivers plugged into my front USB ports on my computer. This caused all kinds of interference and the mouse was just not usable. After I installed this hub via a 15' cable under the carpet, I plugged in the receivers on each end and they both work great.”

A short review is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqZ3DZ7lRA

A longer review is here:
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...ort-USB-30-Hub

Note: Both videos are available as HD videos.

The question is: How reliable is this hub for you!? Thanks for your answers!

:-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --

Last edited by Mr. Retrofire; Nov 21, 2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Added pcper.com review.
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:02 AM   #31
Robalb
macrumors newbie

Hi TheyCallMeBT

Yes you have that right - my USB 3 drive would demount in the middle of a file save and then have to be reformatted, loosing all the data.

The Anker was 3 USB 4 port hub ASIN: B007ZW1TYW. But I bought it in July. Its chipset may have changed since then.

In September Anker support emailed
We would like to recommend you the below hub for your iMac which has better compatibility with Mac OS.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uspeed-Charg...ords=anker+hub

but I haven't bought one yet to try.
Robalb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 04:35 AM   #32
anarti
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisteurJ View Post
Hi,
do you know if this one works with Mavericks 10.9 and/on a late-2012 iMac ?

Just saw it's the VL811 iniside, not the last revision...
Works like a charm, no difference.
anarti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:55 AM   #33
Steven Roller
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
EDIT: Thought this model wasn't in the first post because I clicked the wrong link.

I just ordered the Plugable USB 3.0 7 Port hub, arriving today.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Alumi...ugable+usb+3.0

28 reviews, 5 stars, many of are Mac users.

Didn't care about looks. But it's not that bad since it has the USB ports on top, and angled. Plus the power supply and USB cable are on the same side. I mention that since that may look the best, until you see it with cable sticking out each end.

Not sure about how it handles charging iPhones and iPads, but they have a deal where if you buy this hub, you can get their 1A power usb adapter for $2 each. Not sure if it can supply full power for an iPad, but could also be handy on the go to for tricky USB ports with USB-Thunderbolt cables.

I had to get this for my external USB 3.0 drive and keyboard and mouse used on a Early 2013 rMBP 15'. I was planning to use my Dell 30" USB 3 hub, but when you power the monitor off, it kills the USB ports too.
I am not a hub-fan, but as many guys there, I like them because of it's really convenient for more and more PC tablets there during nowadays. And because of the demand on hubs is increasing, a variety of hubs are emerging. Anker's hub really great espcially Anker's customer service. I recently got LOFTEK usb hub (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H73HPRO/) as I was attracted by the hub appearance. Really cool! Not expensive price but great composition, of course,with good performance! My experience sharing here.
Steven Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:50 PM   #34
thedeske
macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/CoolGear%C2%AE...words=coolgear

I have experience with the 4 port version. Quality IMO
thedeske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2014, 04:39 PM   #35
HFoletto
macrumors member

Hi!

Does someone knows if this hub will be able to nicely charge and transfer data between my mac and my iPhone?

Thank you.
HFoletto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals