[All iPads] Holiday return policy only applies to purchases in apple retail stores? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Quantus
macrumors regular

Holiday return policy only applies to purchases in apple retail stores?

The following link states that there is an extended return period for purchases between Oct. 27 and Dec. 25: http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_pol...retail_us.html

The policy does not appear to apply to online purchases because there is a separate link on the same page for the latter. Why does Apple limit the extended return period to retail purchases?
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Quantus
macrumors regular

Anyone know? Do we have until early Jan 2013 to return our Minis?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I think only way to find out is to call or go to an Apple store and ask.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

I asked this morning via customer relations. Holiday return policy applies in store and online. The iPad Mini falls within that since we all took delivery November 2 or later.

Solved.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
unibility
macrumors regular

BestBuy's return policy on products purchased as a gift are eligible for Jan. 24th, 2013 return.
unibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Alicia4065
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Alicia4065 Send a message via Yahoo to Alicia4065
my receipt from the apple store says my return date is Nov 16. I know when I but stuff from BestBuy during the holiday extended shopping the latter date is posted on it.
Alicia4065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
I asked this morning via customer relations. Holiday return policy applies in store and online. The iPad Mini falls within that since we all took delivery November 2 or later.

Solved.
Did you ask specifically about purchase through the online store? I called this morning too and was advised that I only have 14 days.

The extended return period doesn't make sense to me unless it is supposed to be for unopened devices. That way, if mom/dad buys an ipad now and their kid receives it as a gift on Dec. 25, the kid can still return the ipad if it isn't what he wanted.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
Did you ask specifically about purchase through the online store? I called this morning too and was advised that I only have 14 days.

The extended return period doesn't make sense to me unless it is supposed to be for unopened devices. That way, if mom/dad buys an ipad now and their kid receives it as a gift on Dec. 25, the kid can still return the ipad if it isn't what he wanted.
Yes, though I gave my example of having bought the iPad Mini WiFi, and deciding to upgrade to the LTE when available. They said no problem.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #9
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

I guess after the regular 14 days, you get a gift card. That's what I think it says in the terms.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
I guess after the regular 14 days, you get a gift card. That's what I think it says in the terms.
No, if you have the original receipt, you can get a refund in the same way you paid. So if you paid by credit card, you can get a refund to your credit card, if you paid cash, I suppose you get back cash.

However, when purchasing somebody a gift, you can ask for a gift receipt. A gift receipt just lists the time and place of purchase, but doesn't list the amount paid. When you give the gift, you also hand off the gift receipt. Then, if the gift recipient wants to return the gift, he takes the gift, along with the gift receipt, back to the store. And Apple's policy is that someone coming in with a gift receipt can only get a gift card, not a cash or credit card refund.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Quantus
macrumors regular

I'm not going to gamble on the extended policy applying to the Mini I purchased online.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:19 PM   #12
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

If it helps, I did the online chat thing that they have at the Apple Store online. I said I wanted to purchase an iPad Mini for someone and would be ordering it from the online store. If it just has the usual 14-day return period then I'd need to wait until just before Christmas to order, which would be a pain. I posted the text from the link that the OP gave and asked if the extended return period is for the online store as well as the brick & mortar stores. He told me that yes, it is an extended return period and I could return it as late as January 7.

So, sounds like it's true, but you might want to call Apple just to verify.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:48 PM   #13
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
No, if you have the original receipt, you can get a refund in the same way you paid. So if you paid by credit card, you can get a refund to your credit card, if you paid cash, I suppose you get back cash.

However, when purchasing somebody a gift, you can ask for a gift receipt. A gift receipt just lists the time and place of purchase, but doesn't list the amount paid. When you give the gift, you also hand off the gift receipt. Then, if the gift recipient wants to return the gift, he takes the gift, along with the gift receipt, back to the store. And Apple's policy is that someone coming in with a gift receipt can only get a gift card, not a cash or credit card refund.
Oh cool
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Quantus
macrumors regular

The lower level employees behind the chat link have authority to bind apple? They could be mistaken.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

So under this policy you can return an iPad even if it is opened until Jan 7th? How about the Smart Cover? Can you return that as well for a refund?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Quantus
macrumors regular

The policy doesn't make any sense until it is for unopened, still in shrink wrap, devices.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
The policy doesn't make any sense until it is for unopened, still in shrink wrap, devices.
Somebody who receives the item as a gift could open it, try it, then decide it isn't for them or they want to exchange it for something else.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Dyce
macrumors member

Bought an ipad 4 and mini from best buy and the rep said I have around early January to return it.
Dyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:35 PM   #19
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

My receipt from yesterday says "Return Date November 18" right on it.
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Quantus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
My receipt from yesterday says "Return Date November 18" right on it.
Purchased in a retail store? My invoice from an online purchase doesn't state a return deadline.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #21
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Purchased in a retail store? My invoice from an online purchase doesn't state a return deadline.
Yeah, purchased at retail:

jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:36 PM   #22
token787
macrumors regular

Thanx OP. Good info.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:20 AM   #23
jfulcher
macrumors regular

I'm hoping this will work to hold out for the LTE and then return the wifi only model.
jfulcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:20 AM   #24
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

As far as I know, Apple always has extended return periods around the holidays. Most places do. Otherwise people would have to wait to purchase gifts until 1-2 weeks before Christmas, which isn't practical. It makes much more sense to extend the return period.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:05 PM   #25
gpcartky
macrumors newbie

Apple Online Store Return Policy Link

This should help:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

This lists the extended holiday return period for purchases made from the Apple Online Store in the US. It is specific to the online store, not retail stores, but it looks like they are treating them the same by extending the return period to January 7, 2013.

One more thing, my receipt from the Apple Store where I picked my iPad Mini up on November 2 does not list an extended return period (says return by November 16) but it would be tough to for them to argue with a policy posted to their own website. I confirmed the return policy with the staff from whom I picked it up. I am confident that if my wife wants to return it after Christmas there won't be a problem.
gpcartky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad