Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I know the 2012 MacMini ships with an extra Sata connector. Does it support a internal superdrive, like the 2010 models?

If so, Im gonna take a 2012 Macmini logicboard and pair it with a 2010 Macmini case/superdrive

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
In most cases apple makes small layout changes to the case interior, logic board, and cooling system to prevent newer logic boards from fitting into older cases. I would definitely think that a 2012 logic board wouldn't fit in a 2010 case given that they changed the case with the removal of the optical drive in newer models.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
In most cases apple makes small layout changes to the case interior, logic board, and cooling system to prevent newer logic boards from fitting into older cases. I would definitely think that a 2012 logic board wouldn't fit in a 2010 case given that they changed the case with the removal of the optical drive in newer models.

Actually they just took the case from the 2010 server model and made it standard for all Mac Minis.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
thanks for replying, but....

I just checked with someone who DID THIS that altough the case is the same, The 2012 Logic board has bigger capacitors wich would make this mod impossible with a MacMini Internal superdrive.

It has to be a macbook internal superdrive (wich is smaller) and this superdrive itself has to be cut at 3 difererent points to fit. Its a big surgery.

I thinkg Im better buying an official external superdrive

Its just that adding a 2nd hdd is so much of a surgery itself, it got me thinking of putting a superdrive in there.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I just checked with someone who DID THIS that altough the case is the same, The 2012 Logic board has bigger capacitors wich would make this mod impossible with a MacMini Internal superdrive.

It has to be a macbook internal superdrive (wich is smaller) and this superdrive itself has to be cut at 3 difererent points to fit. Its a big surgery.

I thinkg Im better buying an official external superdrive

Its just that adding a 2nd hdd is so much of a surgery itself, it got me thinking of putting a superdrive in there.

Think I would stick to an external superdrive too :D

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland

Could you share a link to (maybe) a guide or description? I am seriously considering to mate the current i7 Mini with the older body with superdrive.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Could you share a link to (maybe) a guide or description? I am seriously considering to mate the current i7 Mini with the older body with superdrive.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=206580#206580

However, even I am now convinced that is better to simply put 2 SSDs and RAID 0 them as opposed to making this mission impossible mod, when you can simply buy a external superdrive for something you dont use anymore.

In addition, the MacMini can acess any computer's optical drive over the air, and I happen to have a notebook with a DVD drive next to it, it may be Mac or Windows.

Moreover, heres how to add a 2nd HDD/SSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA65MjfRG8&feature=player_embedded

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=206580#206580

However, even I am now convinced that is better to simply put 2 SSDs and RAID 0 them as opposed to making this mission impossible mod, when you can simply buy a external superdrive for something you dont use anymore.

In addition, the MacMini can acess any computer's optical drive over the air, and I happen to have a notebook with a DVD drive next to it, it may be Mac or Windows.

Moreover, heres how to add a 2nd HDD/SSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA65MjfRG8&feature=player_embedded

How fast do you get MB/s with raid 0 2 ssd?

with 1 sad (Vertex 4 rated over 500mb/s read/write) I am only getting 200mb/s for both, like sata 2 speed, what the heck?

geeji

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
However, even I am now convinced that is better to simply put 2 SSDs and RAID 0 them as opposed to making this mission impossible mod
Since I am the one who did this "Mac Mini 2011/2012 with internal optical drive" mod described on www.123macmini.com, let me comment about "big surgery" or "mission impossible mod" : it took me more time to describe the mod properly on 123macmini.com than to do it (less than 3h, going VERY slowly).
And it is definitely NOT big surgery, since at no time do you modify anything from the original Mac Mini; this mod is 100% reversible.
But for sure it is only fun for "tinkerers" and if you don't care much about the increased compactness of the final result, you will likely be better with something like the Newer Technology miniStack MAX (when finally available) or the LG BP06LU10 external Blu-ray burner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.