Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

View Poll Results: Which keyboard do you use?
Wireless keyboard 73 48.67%
Wired keyboard with numeric keypad 58 38.67%
3rd party keyboard 19 12.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Tom J
macrumors regular

I've been using this for about four months and love it
http://bullettrain.com/express.html
Tom J is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
Does the wired keyboard feature usb 3 ports? Now that would be a major plus!
The wired keyboard has 2 USB ports, one on either side under the ESC key and under the F19 key. The thing that's particularly good with the keyboard is that these USB ports actually has some power in them and can act as an able hub.
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bumbo View Post
The wired keyboard has 2 USB ports, one on either side under the ESC key and under the F19 key. The thing that's particularly good with the keyboard is that these USB ports actually has some power in them and can act as an able hub.
But are they usb3 capable now that the iMac is?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #29
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
But are they usb3 capable now that the iMac is?
Oh sorry, misinterpretated the question! And I have no idea sorry. :/ But a good question and something I'd like to know as well, come to think of it.

EDIT: The Apple Store states USB 2.0 for the keyboard if you were to buy it on it's own.
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:11 PM   #30
Chihawk725
macrumors member

Went with the wired for my BTO iMac. Thought I was the only one lol but after reading the opinions in this thread it seems like 90 percent of those with a good reason to choose between one of the two options went with the wired
Chihawk725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:22 PM   #31
rpg51
macrumors 6502

I'm using this Logitech keyboard - very happy with it. Wireless. Solar. Quiet and smooth keystrokes. No battery changing. Plus - it has a true "delete" key for reformed pc users.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-silver-for-mac-glamour-image-lg.png
Views:	56
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	382388  
rpg51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:09 PM   #32
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I'm using this Logitech keyboard - very happy with it. Wireless. Solar. Quiet and smooth keystrokes. No battery changing. Plus - it has a true "delete" key for reformed pc users.

I use the same one in black (Logitech K750), and since I also use a logitech performance mx mouse, I only have to use up 1 USB port. It's an awesome keyboard, and actually think I like it more than Apple's now (been using it for a week). My ONLY complaint is the lack of light on the caps lock key, but really, it's not THAT big of a deal. I love that just ambient light keeps it charged.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1214449-capture-d-ecran-2011-08-1812.52.03.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	382402  
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:30 PM   #33
bayleaves
macrumors regular

Wired

I was using the wireless for awhile, but I really missed the numeric keypad. So I ordered another wired one. Not sure we actually need ANY more keyboards at our house.
bayleaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:36 PM   #34
Rgladman
macrumors regular

Quote:
I also use this keyboard and like it very much.
Rgladman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:00 PM   #35
ATC
macrumors 6502a

We use the wired Apple KB with numeric keypad. We do too much number crunching to make do with Apple's wireless KB. It's beyond me as to why Apple hasn't already made a wireless full-KB.

Quote:
This logitech wireless full-KB looks awesome, just wish it was BT instead of USB. I may to have order one and try it out.
ATC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:10 PM   #36
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bumbo View Post
...and I use the buttons to the left of it (whatever they are called).
Those are collectively known as the navigation keys.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:19 PM   #37
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

A1016 wireless. Works best for me. Like having the extended keyboard with numeric pad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	629870777_o.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	382415  
firedept is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:23 PM   #38
dXTC
macrumors 68000

My first iMac (late 2007) came with the wired keyboard as standard. I liked the two extra USB ports-- one for my mouse, one for my iPod sync cable. So when I bought a newer iMac with a standard wireless, I paid extra for the wired one. The wireless one is currently unused. Too bad I can't use it with my tvs.

However...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I use the same one in black (Logitech K750), and since I also use a logitech performance mx mouse, I only have to use up 1 USB port. It's an awesome keyboard, and actually think I like it more than Apple's now (been using it for a week)...
This model is interesting, if only for the solar functionality. The black one looks slick.
dXTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:56 PM   #39
iohass
macrumors regular

Quote:
ordered my first imac with the wired num pad keyboard, but this one looks very nice
iohass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #40
yanksno1
macrumors newbie

Yea, I've seen that Logitech keyboard. If I decide to go wireless, I'd prob buy that one. Some guys at work have the PC version and like it a lot. The Mac version looks really nice too. I'm buying a new Performance Mouse MX too (such a huge improvement over the magic mouse with the extra buttons), so it'd be nice to use 1 usb receiver for both.
yanksno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:30 AM   #41
rpg51
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
We use the wired Apple KB with numeric keypad. We do too much number crunching to make do with Apple's wireless KB. It's beyond me as to why Apple hasn't already made a wireless full-KB.

This logitech wireless full-KB looks awesome, just wish it was BT instead of USB. I may to have order one and try it out.
Actually, a similar keyboard but with BT but no numeric keypad is available from Logitech. I tried it and returned it. The one I tried was very noisy and clicky clacky. I did not like it. The USB version I have is terrific and I prefer it over the Apple keyboards by a fairly wide margin. I use a Logitech wireless usb mouse as well and they both work together using only one receiver in one usb port for both.

EDIT - BTW - it may be that the key layout on the black version is different than the key layout on the white version of this keyboard. Not 100% sure. But if you look at the logitech web site they have the same model number only the white is listed as "for mac" and they do reference a mac specific key layout.

Last edited by rpg51; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:38 AM   #42
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
A1016 wireless. Works best for me. Like having the extended keyboard with numeric pad.

Gee how loud is typing on this thing ?
NVRENUF! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #43
ATC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Actually, a similar keyboard but with BT but no numeric keypad is available from Logitech. I tried it and returned it. The one I tried was very noisy and clicky clacky. I did not like it. The USB version I have is terrific and I prefer it over the Apple keyboards by a fairly wide margin. I use a Logitech wireless usb mouse as well and they both work together using only one receiver in one usb port for both.

EDIT - BTW - it may be that the key layout on the black version is different than the key layout on the white version of this keyboard. Not 100% sure. But if you look at the logitech web site they have the same model number only the white is listed as "for mac" and they do reference a mac specific key layout.
Thanks. Yeah I saw that small BT one but it didn't interest me as I already also have Apple's BT keyboard. We need the full numeric KB, I just wish Apple would make a wireless one.

I read on amazon lots of reviews and many people mention the lack of caps lock light on the 750 being a negative. I wonder if in practice it would be the same for me. Never had a KB without caps lock light.
ATC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #44
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF! View Post
Gee how loud is typing on this thing ?
I'm pretty quite with it. But my darling wife who is a legal secretary can be loud with it. She prefers it over the aluminum one though.
firedept is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:15 AM   #45
talmy
macrumors 68040

23 year old Northgate Omnikey/102. Heavy and clicky. I doubt that any of the new keyboards are built as well as this one.

I do use an Apple Magic Mouse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0980.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	382488  
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:25 AM   #46
HunterMaximus
macrumors member

Currently on the wired one. Ordered a wireless one with my new iMac to have an option as much as anything (although I've spend some time in the past with the wireless one, so I have a good feel for both).

I like having the full-size arrow keys and the home/end cluster, as well as no function key in the lower-left corner. But I'm not a big fan of the extra width the numpad brings (ergonomically I'm not sure it's great to have the mouse out that far). If I could get a tenkeyless in a style closer to Apple's, I'd get it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately the only ten keyless options I've seen have been of the noisy mechanical variety, which I don't want.
HunterMaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:45 AM   #47
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Wired. I like the full keyboard, no batteries required, and USB port for quick connection of flash drives.

I have a wireless trackpad for a mouse though.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:43 PM   #48
rpg51
macrumors 6502

I like the logitech stuff so much I've decided to sell the apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse that came with my new iMac. They are gathering dust.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac