Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
ShrubbySoup
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Unhappy MBA 2012 SSD/Pictures issue


Hi,
I baught a Mac on sunday and i have notices a real drop allready in my SSD space. it says i have over 3GB of music on here and around 800MB of pictures, which as you should see from my screenshot, i don't. also there is 20GB of 'other' on there which i have no idea what it is. Please help, Connor
__________________
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (SOLD) iPod Touch 2nd Gen (BROKE) iPod Classic (SOLD) iPad 2nd Gen 32GB (SOLD)
iPad Mini 16GB
Macbook Air 13" 128GB 4GB 2012
ShrubbySoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrubbySoup View Post
Hi,
I baught a Mac on sunday and i have notices a real drop allready in my SSD space. it says i have over 3GB of music on here and around 800MB of pictures, which as you should see from my screenshot, i don't. also there is 20GB of 'other' on there which i have no idea what it is. Please help, Connor
That "other" is everything that does not fall into one of the other categories, like the OS. 20GB sounds about right.

Those numbers come from the Spotlight index and can be buggy. Try reindexing Spotlight to fix it. Open the Spotlight pane in System Prefs and in the Privacy tab drag Macintosh HD into Privacy, then drag it back out. That will force a reindex. Check your number again after the reindex.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3
ShrubbySoup
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
That "other" is everything that does not fall into one of the other categories, like the OS. 20GB sounds about right.

Those numbers come from the Spotlight index and can be buggy. Try reindexing Spotlight to fix it. Open the Spotlight pane in System Prefs and in the Privacy tab drag Macintosh HD into Privacy, then drag it back out. That will force a reindex. Check your number again after the reindex.
I have jsut tried that and now it says there is nothing other than 30GB of 'other'
I think i have broke it even more, help!

EDIT: It has now gone back to saying that not everything is 'Other' but still that i have 300MB of pitures that arent there etc...
__________________
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (SOLD) iPod Touch 2nd Gen (BROKE) iPod Classic (SOLD) iPad 2nd Gen 32GB (SOLD)
iPad Mini 16GB
Macbook Air 13" 128GB 4GB 2012

Last edited by ShrubbySoup; Mar 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
ShrubbySoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrubbySoup View Post
I have jsut tried that and now it says there is nothing other than 30GB of 'other'
I think i have broke it even more, help!

EDIT: It has now gone back to saying that not everything is 'Other' but still that i have 300MB of pitures that arent there etc...
Did you wait long enough for it to finish reindexing? While it is indexing, there will be a pulsing dot in the Spotlight icon in the menu bar.

That 300MB of "pictures" includes any jpg etc on your system, not just your personal photos. For example, many apps come with jpg or png files that are included as graphic elements in the app... and those are all included in the 300MB. Same for videos, there are some small videos included with certain apps. Do any of the categories still look WAY off?
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:36 PM   #5
ShrubbySoup
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Did you wait long enough for it to finish reindexing? While it is indexing, there will be a pulsing dot in the Spotlight icon in the menu bar.

That 300MB of "pictures" includes any jpg etc on your system, not just your personal photos. For example, many apps come with jpg or png files that are included as graphic elements in the app... and those are all included in the 300MB. Same for videos, there are some small videos included with certain apps. Do any of the categories still look WAY off?
There are around 800MB of pictures and 3.5GB of music aparently still on here, but now i think of it, GarageBand had music loop files installed, hence the 3.5Gb but i still cant think of where i would have that many pictures?
__________________
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (SOLD) iPod Touch 2nd Gen (BROKE) iPod Classic (SOLD) iPad 2nd Gen 32GB (SOLD)
iPad Mini 16GB
Macbook Air 13" 128GB 4GB 2012
ShrubbySoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrubbySoup View Post
There are around 800MB of pictures and 3.5GB of music aparently still on here, but now i think of it, GarageBand had music loop files installed, hence the 3.5Gb but i still cant think of where i would have that many pictures?
800 MB seems about right. I show 8.6GB of photos, but my personal "Pictures" folder only has 7.8GB. So the difference is about the 800MB you are seeing. If you do a wildcard search for jpg you will see thousands of them in all sorts of apps. The Desktop backgrounds alone take a bunch of space.

I think you are fine.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
ShrubbySoup
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
800 MB seems about right. I show 8.6GB of photos, but my personal "Pictures" folder only has 7.8GB. So the difference is about the 800MB you are seeing. If you do a wildcard search for jpg you will see thousands of them in all sorts of apps. The Desktop backgrounds alone take a bunch of space.

I think you are fine.
Thanks dude, you really helped
__________________
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (SOLD) iPod Touch 2nd Gen (BROKE) iPod Classic (SOLD) iPad 2nd Gen 32GB (SOLD)
iPad Mini 16GB
Macbook Air 13" 128GB 4GB 2012
ShrubbySoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:47 PM   #8
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
If you want some easy space, delete the sleep image-you will free the amount of space equal to you RAM i.e 4 or 8 GB.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 5 16GB
AnorexicPig is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
mac, mba, pictures, ssd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
128 GB Toshiba SSD Dead @ 15 Months (MBA 2012) - SSD Replaced henryonapple MacBook Air 35 Nov 18, 2013 12:13 PM
13' mid-2012 MBA ssd died, can i replace it with a 64gb ssd from mid-2012 11'' MBA? pcacd001 MacBook Air 9 Sep 13, 2013 01:44 PM
Late 2012 MBA SSD & 2013 MBA SSD Interchangeability mfldmike MacBook Air 4 Jun 21, 2013 03:52 PM
Get 2012 MBA 13.3 with 4GB and 256GB SSD or 8GB and 128GB SSD? user786 MacBook Air 10 Aug 11, 2012 05:58 PM
Pop 2011 13" MBA SSD into 2012 MBA unixunderground MacBook Air 3 Jun 25, 2012 07:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC