Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ok I've purchased a Mac Mini purely to be used as a server, On Startup it wants me to create a user, if I use my name and password the same as I have for my MacBook Pro surely I will have 2 of me showing up or how should I set this up to prevent this happening?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
If you are going to setup the server with OD, I'd use a different name. I use something like "sadmin", "serveradmin", and others. Use that as the default admin account.

Then create your user network account.

rlkarren

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
The first user on any setup is a local user with Admin privileges. You may use the same username and password on your mini as it is only a local user. You wouldn't necessarily have "two of you showing up", but you have two accounts, each on a different machine that happen to have the same username and password.

It would be best if that first user on your Mac Mini, be something unique and specific to that machine, with a very complicated password. Then, you have a few options:

1. Enable the Open Directory in Server.app and create an account for yourself and give yourself admin privileges.

2. Create another local user for yourself and give yourself Admin privileges.

3. Just use the admin user you created for server connections.

I use option #2, and never log in using my initial Admin account unless I absolutely have to. I do everything as the 2nd Local Admin account I created for myself.

rlk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.