Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Lifetimechaldo
macrumors member

Setting my brightness to automatic doesnt seem to do anything

If i put my screen on full brightness then set it to auto ajust it will never change from full brightness for some reason.

Also im having a wierd prob where my wifi disconnects often.

Are these normal?
Lifetimechaldo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:30 AM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

On the iPhone 5 the brightness does change, but not as dramatically as it did before.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:44 AM   #3
SunnyStudioNeo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimechaldo View Post
If i put my screen on full brightness then set it to auto ajust it will never change from full brightness for some reason.

Also im having a wierd prob where my wifi disconnects often.

Are these normal?
My observation is: it has a auto adjust range, which is based on the brightness level you set. That being said, if you set it to full brightness then turn on auto adjust, it will adjust within something like 85%-100% full brightness; if you set it to half brightness, then auto adjust range may be like 35%-65%.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:50 AM   #4
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

I've left mine at 50% and going from dark room to outside you can watch the slider go from 0 to 100%...
nwmtnbiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:55 AM   #5
PaulyD
macrumors 6502

I found I had to train mine by setting the brightness I want over a period of time and different levels of brightness. Now it sets to what I would like naturally without any manual changes

Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro iPhone 5 32GB white iPad 3 32GB white TV 2
PaulyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
evilrt
macrumors regular

set it in a dark place, not in bright. works better that way.
evilrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Oridus
macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ios auto brightness work as follows:

Set auto brightness on.
Set slider to position to where you want the phone to be set as the MINIMUM darkness you want the phone to go.

Example. Go to a dark room. Set brightness on auto and slider to 50%. Flash bright light at light sensor. Watch screen quickly get bright. Remove bright light from the sensor and the screen brightness will slowly go down to 50% but not lower. Now, do the same thing, but this time start your brightness slider at 0% and then apply light source. Now when you remove the light source, the slider will slowly but eventually go all the way to 0%.

If I'm correct, the slider serves as a minimum setting on auto brightness.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:54 AM   #8
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ios auto brightness work as follows:

Set auto brightness on.
Set slider to position to where you want the phone to be set as the MINIMUM darkness you want the phone to go.

Example. Go to a dark room. Set brightness on auto and slider to 50%. Flash bright light at light sensor. Watch screen quickly get bright. Remove bright light from the sensor and the screen brightness will slowly go down to 50% but not lower. Now, do the same thing, but this time start your brightness slider at 0% and then apply light source. Now when you remove the light source, the slider will slowly but eventually go all the way to 0%.

Yes this is how it works for me.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Archer1440
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Set auto brightness on.

Yes, correct.
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:45 AM   #10
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Set auto brightness on.

Thank you very much for mention this.
erratikmind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502

I find the iPhone 5 is much more responsive range wise than and of the the iPhones I've had since 3G. Especially toward the lower end. Like someone else says it is not as dramatic, but it will smoothly and gradually dim much more than it used to, which is good for using in low light conditions, but not as good for using the screen as a quick flashlight.
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone