Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today launched Amazon Cloud Drive Photos, an iOS app designed to give Amazon Cloud users a way to access, view, and manage cloud photos from the iPhone.

With the app, users can both upload iPhone photos to their accounts and browse existing photos. Photos can be queued for download and uploaded automatically whenever the Cloud Drive app is opened.

amazoncloud.jpg
- Store and secure thousands of photos in your Amazon Cloud Drive
- Protect your memories - photos from your iPhone or iPod touch are automatically saved to Cloud Drive whenever the app is running
- Have access to your entire photo collection in the Amazon Cloud, even those that aren't in your Camera Roll
- View your photo albums in stunning layouts from your iPhone or iPod touch
- Share your Cloud Drive photos on Facebook, Twitter, and through e-mail
Photos stored in Amazon's cloud can be viewed through the iOS app or through a browser, which gives Amazon Cloud Photos a slight boost over competing Apple service Photo Stream. Like many other cloud services, access to Amazon's Cloud Drive is free, with 5GB of storage included. Additional storage space costs $0.50 per gigabyte per year.

Amazon Cloud Drive Photos for the iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Releases 'Cloud Drive Photos' App for iPhone

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I dont like my photos to be synced in any 'cloud'.
Not sure I'd want some pencil neck behind a desk approving the photos and judging me on my many depraved acts that may or may not be on said iPhone.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I use Flickr myself but have not really used it to sync my photos. I like how Amazon is a "neutral" third party. Plus their uptime/data servers are top notch. A trusted company.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I'm looking for a decent cloud photo service, but I'm not sure which one to use yet. The problem is, I have a small child and take way too many photos of him. This fills up all of the free space on my 32GB iPhone, so I need to delete the photos. But, I would like to always have access to them, and other important abums (wedding, family, vacation, etc).
Dropbox photos albums seems like a good idea, but they haven't updated their iPhone app yet.
Google+ looks interesting, and I already use a lot of Google products, so it's a good fit.
I don't like the idea of uploading everything to Facebook, because they modify the original image file, making it smaller. Plus, I just don't use Facebook that much.
What does everyone else use?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like the number of services for syncing photos is disproportionate to the number of people that actually want a service like that.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
RAW handling?

This is weird, just two days ago there was a post about how Apple needs to have a better cloud photo solution, or their competitors soon would. That didn't take long.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm waiting for an iPad version. Until then I'm sticking to Adobe Revel. But Amazon has pretty much won me over with everything.

It's really nice to have a choice between them all really. You might not like the Kindle Fire, Kindles in general, or Nexus devices, but you can still have a majority of those services on your iOS device.

Since it doesn't have video support, I use Quik.io which lets me connect to my MBP with just login details and an internet connect of some sort.

All that just to not have a 128GB iPad. :rolleyes: It works though!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I use Flickr myself but have not really used it to sync my photos. I like how Amazon is a "neutral" third party. Plus their uptime/data servers are top notch. A trusted company.

I agree with you. Amazon is much more trustworthy than say, Google. This does look worth at least trying out.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Bottom line folks, you need 2 backups, one offline (external hard drive) and one outside of your home - that is the cloud.

You can pay a service like Carbonite, or you upload your **** for free to Amazon/Dropbox/ICloud

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
RAW handling?

This is weird, just two days ago there was a post about how Apple needs to have a better cloud photo solution, or their competitors soon would. That didn't take long.

I have found that to be the case alot with apple of late... but the build quality on the products... and I just prefer the less stressed and ADD nature of OSX and iOS, I have invested alot of money in.. :cool:

belviking

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
Belgium
iphoto compatible

great new development for sharing/storing pictures in the cloud. With the deletion of iDisk unfortunately Apple does not have a good solution for storing files/folders in the cloud. iCloud does so for individual files but making a cloud backup of my iPhoto library(s) was not possible anymore. I recently decided to make a cloud backup of my iPhoto library to Amazon and happy to see this new development. Cloud Drive Photos lets me browse through my iPhoto library stored on Amazon. (Events is however not (yet ?) supported)
/jm

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I dont like my photos to be synced in any 'cloud'.
Not sure I'd want some pencil neck behind a desk approving the photos and judging me on my many depraved acts that may or may not be on said iPhone.

Spideroak is 100% private, they can't even retrieve your password.

https://spideroak.com/

Tresorit encrypts and the keys stay on your computer

http://tresorit.com/features/

50gb through lifehacker

The only thing with this one is the mac and ios apps are coming soon.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I tried this out yesterday, and just like Dropbox and Box, it removes the information (geodata, time, date, etc.) from my photos. Looks like I'll just have to pay $20 for 10 more GB of iCloud space since none of my 4,000+ photos are backed up, but that doesn't solve my problem of wanting to free up space on 16GB 4S.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Carbonite is another one where you can use their iOS app to upload your photos (And backup your Mac). Not cheap - but unlimited storage.

I use it to back my Mac up.

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Bottom line folks, you need 2 backups, one offline (external hard drive) and one outside of your home - that is the cloud.

You can pay a service like Carbonite, or you upload your **** for free to Amazon/Dropbox/ICloud

I agree with you.

I also use Carbonite for its unlimited storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.