Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:03 PM   #26
Clipboard88
macrumors newbie

I too had the same issue. In fact it also was dealing with an app. I went a little overboard...I have access to old used plc's. One Plc, two ice cube relays, and a car door lock actuator later created my master piece. However, I quickly realized I had nothing to "touch" the screen as the door actuator pushed out and sucked in. After doing some reading on capacitive screens, I realized a penny connected to earth ground should work just the same as a human finger. (I'm an electrical engineer by day, extreme tinker by night). So I swapped my power cord to a three prong to pick up earth ground (my house is properly grounded). Landed the ground to a terminal block on my din rail, connected a wire between it and tapped the other end to a penny. That wire runs through a hole on the end of the actuator...so it moving slides the penny...it being grounded slides the screen around while I'm at work! The Plc makes it actuate every 30 seconds.

One could also use copper tape stuck to the screen (grounded), but ran through a normally open set of contacts. Having a cycling timer close the coil on the relay every 30 seconds (or whatever time you need). It would perfectly simulate someone tapping the screen where the tape has been placed.
Clipboard88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
timsutcliffe
macrumors 6502

You could try a grape. Not sure why it worked but it did.
timsutcliffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:33 PM   #28
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

I know what might work but only on pr0n sites [!]
Old May 1, 2013, 02:41 AM   #29
grace4star
macrumors newbie

Stylus. Seriously, use a stylus. There are many ones, but before you buy it make sure it isn't under $3 because they could be pretty crappy. There are millions - but I think they have some at the Apple Store which is probably the best one. Not sure though.

Source: mum owns a stylus, so does nanna, all my aunties and cousin.
grace4star is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:43 AM   #30
micros
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace4star View Post
Stylus. Seriously, use a stylus. There are many ones, but before you buy it make sure it isn't under $3 because they could be pretty crappy. There are millions - but I think they have some at the Apple Store which is probably the best one. Not sure though.

Source: mum owns a stylus, so does nanna, all my aunties and cousin.
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you Tybouff, but at least I read the question! Incredible how many people only read topic titles and post useless answers here...
micros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:04 AM   #31
ImpKali
macrumors member

Typical stylii in the vein of the Nintendo DS stylus don't work with multitouch screens. You need one that makes something resembling the electric current in a human finger. Here's the one I used when I still had my iTouch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Sty...-iPad/15406798
Old May 4, 2013, 01:55 PM   #32
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

This is an old topic, and the person needed a stylus which could interact with the screen without the need for a human or other electrically conductive meat bag to hold it.
Read the topic before posting
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 07:44 PM   #33
Potatoeinmyanus
macrumors newbie

a very cheap answer (and late)

I know its a very late reply but I found myself looking up this question yesterday, and I managed to work out a way to do this. This may be useful for people still looking for a way to to this. My reasoning is much like yours was, to play (cheat) a game on the iPod while I was away. Anyway I first started balancing batteries on the screen using tinfoil to earth them to the ground which at first worked ok but only for about 5 mins at a time. In the end what works best (though still not long periods of time) is to soak a small piece of sponge about 1cm x 1cm x 1cm in SALT water. Wrap tinfoil around the piece of sponge and make sure the tinfoil touches the ground / surface it is resting on. This for me works until the sponge drys up usually about 4 hours.

Hope this helps
Potatoeinmyanus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:04 PM   #34
Dillicious
macrumors newbie

Take a Nerf Elite dart (blue with orange tip) and a triple A battery (aaa). Put the battery inside the back end of the dart (negative side first). It only needs to to about 1/6th of an inch in to help hold it in place. then cover the whole thing with tin foil. It works without anything touching it and i use it for about the same reason as you.
Dillicious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 09:59 AM   #35
Dan70
macrumors regular

A nipple works... don't ask.

EDIT

On Touch ID as well.

EDIT 2

Still, don't ask.
Dan70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2014, 04:32 AM   #36
ADEBOWALE
macrumors newbie

I have a solution today and it really works well but I will have to sell the technology
ADEBOWALE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:05 AM   #37
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEBOWALE View Post
I have a solution today and it really works well but I will have to sell the technology
I have an answer to your (two year old) problem!

...But I can't tell you anything about it! Oh ho ho ho! It's like I have no answer in the first place!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:32 PM   #38
Iphonedai
macrumors member

I just saw this on kickstarter, probably useful??

called 6thfinger, check it out. I've bought one definitely useful for gamers.

Last edited by Iphonedai; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Iphonedai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:41 PM   #39
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

A cockatoo tongue.

He was investigating something on my iPhone, with the keyboard up, and I let him get close to the display. He managed to type a character with his tongue.

While he does verbally communicate with us (and vice-versa), I don't have the patience (and I don't think he does either...) to teach him to text.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:26 AM   #40
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedai View Post
check it out, im definitely using it as a gamer. Not sure if this is what you looking for?
:d:d:d

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...without-human/
What... the...?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:38 PM   #41
JAT
macrumors 603

Is this seriously a 2 year thread about people that don't understand that you can just go to a store and buy a stylus? Or, like, a pack of 3 for about $4?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch