Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I was at the Apple store today getting my iPhone swapped out due to a 'crunchy' home button, and much to my surprise, the Verizon iPhone 4S requires a SIM card - it can't function without one. Traditionally, 3G CDMA phones don't need a SIM, but apparently the iP4S needs one... Am I the only one who didn't know this? haha

Last edited:

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I was at the Apple store today getting my iPhone swapped out due to a 'crunchy' home button, and much to my surprise, the Verizon iPhone 4S require a SIM card - it can't function without one. Traditionally, 3G CDMA phones don't need a SIM, but apparently the iP4S needs one... Am I the only one who didn't know this? haha

I was not.. aware of that.

I never carry a SIM card in my 4S and it works fine with Verizon's network. Only time I ever put in a SIM card is when I go overseas, and even then I don't use a Verizon SIM.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I was at the Apple store today getting my iPhone swapped out due to a 'crunchy' home button, and much to my surprise, the Verizon iPhone 4S require a SIM card - it can't function without one. Traditionally, 3G CDMA phones don't need a SIM, but apparently the iP4S needs one... Am I the only one who didn't know this? haha

You have proof? Have you tried using it without the SIM module?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Unfortunately, i do not have proof. However, when he took the SIM Card out of my iPhone, the iPhone said no sim and there was no service. I even said to the guy, "Wait... the Verizon iPhone has a SIM card? I thought Verizon phones don't need them..." His response, "Yeah, all Verizon 4S's have a SIM card"

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Unfortunately, i do not have proof. However, when he took the SIM Card out of my iPhone, the iPhone said no sim and there was no service. I even said to the guy, "Wait... the Verizon iPhone has a SIM card? I thought Verizon phones don't need them..." His response, "Yeah, all Verizon 4S's have a SIM card"

Then just toggle the Airport mode on and off. It should pick up a Verizon CDMA signal without the SIM card.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
It is a sim card for international roaming

^^^ This. And the sim should be identical to this:

photo taken from member hbah427
SIMCard.JPG

ace198

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
My Verizon iPhone 4S works fine with and without the micro sim card. Not sure if you would need the sim inside when activating.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
So will a 4G LTE Verizon iPhone use a larger SIM slot with a single SIM for both world use and 4G US use?

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Learned something today.. Thanks.

Took the sim out of my purchased from Verizon 4s and phone works normally. Good to know. My daughter is going to Europe in 2 weeks and I am betting she is going to loose the verizon sim when she replaces it with a local one. (based on previous experience.) so her phone will still work when she returns home, regardless.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Learned something today.. Thanks.

Took the sim out of my purchased from Verizon 4s and phone works normally. Good to know. My daughter is going to Europe in 2 weeks and I am betting she is going to loose the verizon sim when she replaces it with a local one. (based on previous experience.) so her phone will still work when she returns home, regardless.

Call Verizon to have them unlock the SIM slot though.

The Verizon 4G LTE iPhone will probably end up using a microSIM. Probably...

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My sim card accidentally got locked as I was fiddling around with the settings. Rather than calling vzw to get the code to unlock it, I simply took it out, and my phone worked again. So now if I put in the sim card, I lose service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.