Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Multiple models worked for the iPod didn't it?

I cant argue with that.

----------

But when in history has there ever been a mobile phone manufacturer who makes BILLIONS of dollars per quarter... while only having basically three phones on the market?

A fourth phone (and/or bigger phone) wouldn't kill them.

Oh... and Apple has forgotten about the 90s... because it doesn't really apply here.

Back then... Apple was only making computers... but not any money. In short... they were lacking in computer market share AND profit. They were days away from bankruptcy at one point.

Today it's nothing like that.

While the iPhone trails behind Android in smartphone market share... they make more than enough money to be in a strong 2nd place.

Let's not forget a vibrant app ecosystem and accessory market.

And some people actually LIKE Apple products!

Fair points - provided it was done tastefully.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
don't you mean the iphone "meh".

meh, it's too little too late. bigger screen but the same os from 5 years ago. MEH!

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
9. Pirating is an android innovation?
10. Not an android innovation nor is such an ability endorsed by Google (it's just known as pirating)

Gah, why do you assume he is talking about pirating? There is a lot of (legally) free music online, a lot of free netlabels, that have their music available freely as downloadables on their websites. If you don't have access to your computer you simply can't add freely available music to your iphone music library right now. That is a major inconvenience.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
don't you mean the iphone "meh".

meh, it's too little too late. bigger screen but the same os from 5 years ago. MEH!

They should change the OS every year. Completely new kernel, all new APIs... Then it wouldn't be so boring! I need an OS that excites me while I traverse through the menus to change font sizes and other exciting endeavors.

Gah, why do you assume he is talking about pirating? There is a lot of (legally) free music online, a lot of free netlabels, that have their music available freely as downloadables on their websites. If you don't have access to your computer you simply can't add freely available music to your iphone music library right now. That is a major inconvenience.

Since you can use one of many apps to basically replicate most of the "Music" (iPod) player experience on an iOS device, I wonder if Apple shouldn't just let you add music to that just like adding photos to your photo library. But at least if you don't like the iTunes sync idea at all, you can just sidestep that process entirely with an app (if you're willing to copy files in over wifi).

gm713

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
it is funny how the apple fanatics here are having strokes over the thought of a 4.8 inch iphone when they were just few months back complaining when a 4 inch screen was announced for iphone 5. they kept on saying say a 3.5 inch screen was big enough. yet they were first in line to get the iphone 5.

you jokers will be the the first in line for that 4.8 iphone as well.

you should be be happy they are getting iphones are getting bigger screens. a lot of people do want phablets nowadays. had apple came out with this phone math back in october i might have picked that up instead of a note 2.

----------

do you honestly think Jobs wouldn't approve of this. Jobs like all all CEO's are worried about make the loot. You have a very idealistic view of Job's practices. Apple would still be on a decline whether Jobs were here or not.

That man was a genius. But do not think he was different from any other leader of company. Leaders of companies have one main objective which is to make money.

Steve jobs said they wouldn't add video to ipod because no one would watch movies on a tiny screen. Then ipod video came out. He even said that tablets would fail because people want keyboard. Now we got a whole line of ipads. and the contradictions go on.

and how do you know what his vision was. maybe he would see the necessity of creating variation among iphones due to the shift of the consumer demands.

Agreed, a lot of "company leaders" aim to make money, but the one's who create their own companies are more often than not driven by passion and not money, which ends up being a bi-product of a successful company.

Jobs truly believed in creating great products and he never compromised while doing so. Read his biography to gain insight on how he operated, the extra rounds his design team would have to go through, and how he wouldn't release something until 100% satisfied - no matter what the consequences. This is what led to Apple becoming successful, not once but twice, under his vision.

Also you should read up on his philosophy of "one", which is reflected in plenty of Apple products - both hardware and software, including the iPhone home button.

PS: Jobs wasn't even willing to become Apple's CEO. He was content as Pixar's CEO. He became the iCEO, and eventually the CEO since no one else was cut out to save Apple from the condition that Sculley had left it in (90 days from bankruptcy). He eventually accepted the position because Apple was his baby and was truly "passionate" about it, and could not bear to see it die.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
I want a bigger screen on the iPhone like the SGS3.

I sure hope Apple doesn't make it even taller and leaves it the same width.:eek:

Funny story: one of my friends at work had a 3GS and was looking to upgrade to a bigger screen. The iPhone 5 screen was to small so he went to the SGS3.

When he had the 3GS he never asked for my help with how to use the phone.

He bugs me all the time asking questions. He asked how to forward a email the other day.

Funny thing I couldn't even figure it out.

Love the screen of the SGS3, hate the software, will hang on to my 4Steve model until apple releases what I'm looking for. May just buy an iPad Mini 2 and start using Skype. It will be way to big but who knows just carrying one device might just work out.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Big iPhone probably will be the premium one, not the cheap one.
It will coincide with full blown iOS7 to support that resolution.
Which means that probably both are slated for late summer or even september/october (together with retina mini)

Meanwhile, we'll get 6.5 and iPhone 5s as a kind of transition stop.
While Android is clunky, doesn't mean that it is not something to be viewed upon.
Windows also was clunky.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Don't wish for more megapixels. The sensor is too small, and increasing the number of megapixels will just make photos look grainier. 8mp is about the limit of what they can fit in there with a sensor so small. And they can't fit a bigger sensor in there, the physics of it simply wouldn't work. Improvements from now on will have to come in the form of more refined lenses and better camera software.

I also now that. But most customers dont. So if they DONT increase the megapixel they will not be taking seriously. People will say, "Same old stuff" and the stoke will continue its wild decrease.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Apple realised that geeks were almost exclusively choosing android, so they are going to make a bigger "android-flagship-like" phone.

The name is just to spark even more interest in geeks. iPhone Math.

Yup the math name draw ones attention to numbers or specs...

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The SIII was the top selling smartphone in Q4 2012, if that is "tanking" what is your definition of success?

really, any link to that assertion. Apple sold 47.8M iphone in 4Q and about 1/2 is Iphone 5.. So Iphone 5 sales is about 23.9M.. How does 23.9M less than 15M? The real top selling smartphone are the low price Android phone that sold for $100-$200 USD unlocked.

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-tips-record-high-4q-235430675.html

Jin Sung-hye, an analyst at KTB Securities, said Samsung shipped 15 million units of the S III and 7 million of the Note II during the final three months of 2012. The surprise popularity of the Note II device prompted other handset makers to increase the screen size of their smartphones as consumers embrace a wider mobile-phone screen to watch visual contents.

http://www.twice.com/articletype/financial/apple-reports-record-sales-flat-profits/104748

And Apple said it sold a record 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter, compared to 37 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold a record 22.9 million iPads during the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter. It sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 12.7 million iPods in the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I also now that. But most customers dont. So if they DONT increase the megapixel they will not be taking seriously. People will say, "Same old stuff" and the stoke will continue its wild decrease.

It sounds like you're saying they should sacrifice image quality to attract the customers? I don't see Apple every doing that. Apple would "preach" in the keynote all MP don't matter in this size sensor and guess what? They already have before we phones had a higher MP count than them but the iPhone still destroyed them on image quality.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
ridiculous, how some peopl always keep saying bigger is better.

yes u get more real estate, but thats personal preference, same with the iPad Mini.

i do not want a bigass phone in my pocket the iphone is already huge enough and i was satisfied with my 3.5" 4S, its supposed to be a compact computer that i can fit in my pocket, not some huge mico tablet which would make want to purchase a damn man purse for it or those belt holders.

most people are satisfied with the size of the phone, and i say most because im not talking bout tech geeks like us.

and for the iPad Mini its the same case, i like my iPad, i like the extra real estate, its better for watching Movies/TV/Videos. And of course it more powerful. its all preference i prefer a bigger screen and i dont mind the extra weight, others who aren't power users prefer the smaller size and can careless about the processor power and resolution.

anyways the iPad 5 is projected to be the same weight as the mini and the 128 GB upgrade (which hopefully means the 16 GB model is gone) is going to help a lot of the sales. and depending on the company most (Businesses) would rather just have a regular iPad to have that extra real estate for trade show and show rooms. but retailers would more likely go with the Mini or iTouch/iPhone.

and back on topic, this rumor seems like a whole lot of bull ****.

you guys really think a company like apple is going to come out with a name called "iPhone Math" or "iPhone Max"

if so, you are delusional my friend

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
The SIII was the top selling smartphone in Q4 2012, if that is "tanking" what is your definition of success?

sarcasm aside, the iphone 5 still sold 150 million more units than the SIII,

and do people even wait for the SIII to come out in front of stores? i honestly never heard of that

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
It sounds like you're saying they should sacrifice image quality to attract the customers? I don't see Apple every doing that. Apple would "preach" in the keynote all MP don't matter in this size sensor and guess what? They already have before we phones had a higher MP count than them but the iPhone still destroyed them on image quality.

Thats not what Im saying, but I am right. Stay 8 MP and they will be laught at.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Thats not what Im saying, but I am right. Stay 8 MP and they will be laught at.

Apple usually does't care about that. They most of the time just let their demos or actual products do the talking. That would be Apple playing the "specs" game and saying "well he have higher specs so we are better" when in actuality it would not.

They already get "laughed" at by having "lower" specs than other devices yet they still out preform most of them.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I think this "but it won't fit in my pocket" spiel is starting to get a little played out.

I usually wear fairly nice fitting, snug pants, yet I've still got tons and tons of room left in my pocket when I pop my iPhone 4 in there. I could easily fit something the size of a Galaxy S3 in there without feeling too crowded.

I mean really...

The S3 isn't that much bigger.

The argument still applies for iPhone 4(s) vs Galaxy S3 It's more a "it won't fit in my pocket COMFORTABLY" rather than at all. I still have my 4s and like the size much better than when I have tried larger android phones in the past.

I do agree the difference between iphone 5 and Galaxy S3 is pretty much nothing.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
...the iphone is already huge enough..

By chance are you a petite woman? In no way, shape, or form is the iPhone HUGE. Apple pitched the iPhone as compact, lol.

I have the Note II, and it's big....not HUGE. I'm 6'4 and find the Note to be the perfect size for me. For my wifes hands it's HUGE, but she's 5'3. :rolleyes:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
By chance are you a petite woman? In no way, shape, or form is the iPhone HUGE. Apple pitched the iPhone as compact, lol.

I have the Note II, and it's big....not HUGE. I'm 6'4 and find the Note to be the perfect size for me. For my wifes hands it's HUGE, but she's 5'3. :rolleyes:

yea im no where near 6'4 nor nor am i 5'3, im 5'9 and i find it a burden to carry around that bigass phone in your pocket.

all throughout work, a night of drinking either bar hopping or clubbing, etc etc

it just isnt ideal, atleast for me.

nobody wants a bigass rectangle sticking out of your dress pants

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
yea im no where near 6'4 nor nor am i 5'3, im 5'9 and i find it a burden to carry around that bigass phone in your pocket.

all throughout work, a night of drinking either bar hopping or clubbing, etc etc

it just isnt ideal, atleast for me.

nobody wants a bigass rectangle sticking out of your dress pants

A small sleek feature phone sounds right for you.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
iPhone 6 Plus. This article makes sense now. Could be around the time product development/marketing of the iPhone 6 started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.