Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Evidently ...

As Billy Crystal, playing Fernando Lamas was fond of saying: "It's better to look good than to feel good, dahling" or "you look mahvelous".

Hollywood creates much better fiction ... and this movie likely demonstrates that to a tee.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Call the waaaambulance. Who in the hell cares if Woz get's his feelings hurt.

gee golly...maybe somebody should make a film about you how you're not "straight" person..or maybe you like little kids.... (well not to these extremes)..but my point remains..

should we say...who cares because that's who you are?

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Oh come on, Woz! It's a movie, it's supposed to take some creative license. I'm sure the true way it happened is probably rather boring...nobody wants to see that!

I would agree . . if this was creative. Woz is right and he's the last of the duo, so I think he should have some say so .

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I am sure the way Woz recollects events might actually be fiction.... Who cares, Woz?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I am sure the way Woz recollects events might actually be fiction.... Who cares, Woz?

+1

"eyewitness reports" are often wrong hours/days after the event - and we're supposed to believe that Woz's recollections of events 30 years ago are 100% true?

It seems like a minor point that Woz is upset about, let it go.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
When it comes to films like that if so much is not even based on what happened to any great degree what is even the point? Might as well just be a made up story about some random company. Maybe I am just more picky with this types of ideas.

However getting everything done perfectly is not going to be easy after that many years nor if one can ask everyone involved which of course would have their own idea of what really happened.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah who cares Woz. Movie should still be good. Plus it's just a movie, Woz.. Relax man.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh, give me a break, Thomas! Did you notice the subtitle of his book includes the phrase "How I invented the personal computer"? Woz gets more credit than he deserves from Apple Fanboys and so-called computer "journalists" alike. If you believe he invented the personal computer, allow me to convince you how I invented sex.

Fact is, Woz _did_ invent the personal computer. Jobs realized that to sell it in numbers, it must come with a built-in ready-to-use power supply and a keyboard, and he found the first buyers. And Markulla knew how to run a company and how to sell things in big numbers.

And if you had invented sex, you wouldn't even have been born.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
fact is, woz _did_ invent the personal computer. Jobs realized that to sell it in numbers, it must come with a built-in ready-to-use power supply and a keyboard, and he found the first buyers. And markulla knew how to run a company and how to sell things in big numbers.

+1

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah.. "Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture."... sounds like capitalism to me... oh Woz...

What's he supposed to do? Read the guy a copy of his book in the interview?

I've got his book and there's way too much to cover in a brief interview to get the full picture (at least of Woz's perspective).

I'm quite sure Woz is comfortable enough as it is without having to push his book hard. I'm sure it was more of an off the cuff remark as in "well, i've written what happened if you want my version of the story" thing. I'm sure they can borrow one from the local library without needing to purchase, also (he did say READ, not BUY).

kdarling

macrumors P6
Fact is, Woz _did_ invent the personal computer. Jobs realized that to sell it in numbers, it must come with a built-in ready-to-use power supply and a keyboard, and he found the first buyers. And Markulla knew how to run a company and how to sell things in big numbers.

Well, I like Wozniak, and I'm glad he put up with Steve Jobs long enough for the latter to become influential, but he did not invent the personal computer. He invented one of them, at a time when others were doing the same thing.

As for Jobs, he got the idea of a single beige enclosure from the desktop calculators he had seen at HP, just like everyone else.

The big numbers didn't happen for a while, as the Apple II cost a lot, starting at $1300 for a unit with no monitor. That's the equivalent of almost $5,000 today. It was also only available in geek stores at first.

It was $600 computers like the TRS-80, and later even cheaper computers from Atari and Commodore, widely available at local stores, that made home computers affordable and popular. They outsold the Apples by a huge margin for years.

trs80_sales_percentage.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

It was Ed Roberts who coined the phrase "personal computer" when the Altair 8800 was released. This was a year before the Apple I.

There was also Micral which was about 3 years before the Apple I

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Yeah.. "Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture."... sounds like capitalism to me... oh Woz...

He should be more like apple, anti capitalism......oh, wait.

----------

People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

So you would not say anything if someone was portraying your life wrong? I find that hard to believe. How about if it was portrayed as someone else fathering your kids? Just entertainment, right?

----------

The preview was so badly staged and acted that I thought it was a horror movie. Watch "Pirates" if you want a good film about Apple.

...poetic?

Don't you get it? Completely changing someone else's life is poetic.;)

----------

Let's see guys

Real Woz is fat - movie Woz is fat

Not sure what he's complaining about?!

You mean like californians are self centered and arrogant -movie californians should be portrayed that way also.

----------

The best part of the movie is the end, where Jobs ascends into heaven.

Did they leave out the part about his fanboys lining up to pleasure him?

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
So you would not say anything if someone was portraying your life wrong? I find that hard to believe. How about if it was portrayed as someone else fathering your kids? Just entertainment, right?

More cutting in....I could see how such things could bother someone, if a movie is based on real life events I aspect them to at least try to get things right or what is the point? They might as well just make up names and companies and let people figure out who they are suppose to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.