Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I've been trying the past several hours to connect my HP and MacBook Pro with my Wifi router. My HP shows my MacBook and some of its folders, but it says it doesn't have permission to access files.

"You do not have permission to access (my Mac's name). Contact your network administrator to request access."

All of the setting are set using the Share and Network options in System Preferences.

My HP also doesn't show up on my Mac when I try to access the Network folder. Both computers have passwords, which I know was a requirement.

I have been able to network the two using a direct Ethernet connection, but I don't want to depend on this. I would like to keep my HP in my office (connected to the Printer and Scanner) and use my Mac around the rest of the house.

In addition, it looks like, with most of the guides, that making a different network would disconnect my computers from the internet.

Any and all help is appreciated, but so far the guides have not been useful.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I've been trying the past several hours to connect my HP and MacBook Pro with my Wifi router. My HP shows my MacBook and some of its folders, but it says it doesn't have permission to access files.

"You do not have permission to access (my Mac's name). Contact your network administrator to request access."

All of the setting are set using the Share and Network options in System Preferences.

My HP also doesn't show up on my Mac when I try to access the Network folder. Both computers have passwords, which I know was a requirement.

I have been able to network the two using a direct Ethernet connection, but I don't want to depend on this. I would like to keep my HP in my office (connected to the Printer and Scanner) and use my Mac around the rest of the house.

In addition, it looks like, with most of the guides, that making a different network would disconnect my computers from the internet.

Any and all help is appreciated, but so far the guides have not been useful.

I have never tried from a Windows machine to access a Mac machine but I have successfully accessed a Windows machine from a Mac ...

The process is fairly simple....

1. In windows, right click on the folder that you want to share, select properties and setup the share properties [i.e. name, permissions, etc.]

2. In OS X, open Finder and, in the menu bar, click on GO | CONNECT TO SERVER...enter smb://ip address or computer name and click connect...this will connect you to the shared folder on the Windows machine...

Good luck...

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.