Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Looking through the list of Amazon Prime movies available for streaming, I'd have to say it isn't nearly as robust as Netflix's offerings. Amazon is dishonest in the may it counts how many titles are available for streaming. They don't have nearly as many shows as they claim.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Looking through the list of Amazon Prime movies available for streaming, I'd have to say it isn't nearly as robust as Netflix's offerings. Amazon is dishonest in the may it counts how many titles are available for streaming. They don't have nearly as many shows as they claim.

I may be misremembering but I think they count episodes of tv shows as videos. Which is true is a way but also massively inflates the number if you are comparing it with a service that doesn't.

----------

It's not working for me on my iPad (3rd-Generation.) I get an error "Warning. Playback is not allowed on this device." iPad is on iOS 5.1.1. I rebooted it, removed and reinstalled the app, but no go. I wonder if the app checks the iPad if it's jailbroken, which mine is.

This is covered in 2 earlier posts.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
awesome
been looking fwd to this for a while

ive been bumming my friend's netflix because it's more convenient to run it at my dining table than eating in front of the tv for the xbox amazon streaming :D

towlieban

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
video doesnt play

I download this app on my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 which is jailbroken.

I have the latest version of xcon installed.

When I run the app and click on a movie or TV show and click on watch now, it appears that the video is about to play because it goes into video mode where I see the slider and play/pause controls but after a few seconds it closes and returns to the screen that displays info about the movie/TV show.

I've reinstalled xcon and rebooted my iPad but nothing has helped. I don't get any error messages whatsoever.

Has anyone had this problem ?

How can I fix it ? I'm dying to use this app

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Well really the video streaming is just a side perk to free two day shipping, Im not sure if it was intended to compete with services like netflix.

I agree with you though, plus most of the offerings are from the 90s or earlier where netflix offers more modern selection.

Looks like Amazon gave up on the Kindle Fire being the primary delivery device, which is a good thing because the Kindle Fire is severely outdated vs the competition now.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Macrumors should add a symbol for "news" that is "US-Only"

I hate it when Macrumors posts a story about a great announcement like this only to find it is a US-only announcement. Darn!

A little flag icon or something to indicate right from the beginning that this is the case would be cool. I do realize that in general the US has a hard time believing there is life beyond their borders, but it would be great if Macrumors could acknowledge their international audience just a little.

iamthinking.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I hate it when Macrumors posts a story about a great announcement like this only to find it is a US-only announcement. Darn!

A little flag icon or something to indicate right from the beginning that this is the case would be cool. I do realize that in general the US has a hard time believing there is life beyond their borders, but it would be great if Macrumors could acknowledge their international audience just a little.

iamthinking.

Contact the hosts and ask them directly. To be honest - my best guess is their sources don't always specify when / where services will be active in the first place. When they have had this information, I've seen it included before.

towlieban

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
App does not play any video, no error message

Like the title says, the App works but when you click on Watch now to watch a video, the App starts the media player, it says loading for about 10 seconds then it returns to the previous screen. No error message appears.

My iPad 1 is jailbroken and I have xCon installed. I have reinstalled the app and reinstalled xCon and no luck.

Any ideas ?

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
I've found a few different movies on amazon that are not on netflix, so I am excited about this app.
54.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.