Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
If you have a Studio display on your machine, it isn't a dual core. It's a dual processor or a signal processor both with a signal core. Those can only take DDR1 ram.

I got the machine from a friend today, I think the display might be an extra he threw in so that I could use the machine. I believe I have a dual processor. I have two boxes inside the machine that say G5, and two cooling fans.... I could have swore I could use 2 GB in each slot??? I just rearranged the ram, my configuration now looks like this if you are looking at the RAM

Empty
RAM
RAM
RAM

RAM
RAM
RAM
Empty

This is a correct configuration for matching pairs right?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I got the machine from a friend today, I think the display might be an extra he threw in so that I could use the machine. I believe I have a dual processor. I have two boxes inside the machine that say G5, and two cooling fans.... I could have swore I could use 2 GB in each slot??? I just rearranged the ram, my configuration now looks like this if you are looking at the RAM

Empty
RAM
RAM
RAM

RAM
RAM
RAM
Empty

This is a correct configuration for matching pairs right?

If you have two CPU's and no liquid pumps, you have a dual processor. I don't think 2GB DDR1 sticks were ever made. Likely because most DDR1 memory controllers can't access more that 2 or 4GB of RAM. That is the correct ram configuration. Just make sure that the size of the ram sticks are the same, starting from the inner.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
If you have two CPU's and no liquid pumps, you have a dual processor. I don't think 2GB DDR1 sticks were ever made. Likely because most DDR1 memory controllers can't access more that 2 or 4GB of RAM. That is the correct ram configuration. Just make sure that the size of the ram sticks are the same, starting from the inner.

OK, Thanks for the info. I am completely new at this. This is my first Apple. I got it for free, otherwise I would have passed. I just rearranged my ram and now it show that I have 3GB RAM. I'm guess two of the 512MB ram cards were not paired so neither were working until i rearranged them in pairs??? So from what you are saying, I can max out mt RAM at 8GB with no issues? I don't want to overload the machine (if that is even possible with RAM??).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
OK, Thanks for the info. I am completely new at this. This is my first Apple. I got it for free, otherwise I would have passed. I just rearranged my ram and now it show that I have 3GB RAM. I'm guess two of the 512MB ram cards were not paired so neither were working until i rearranged them in pairs??? So from what you are saying, I can max out mt RAM at 8GB with no issues? I don't want to overload the machine (if that is even possible with RAM??).

8GB is the max for that machine. It can take it without a problem. Just try to get the low density ram. I'm not sure if G5's like high density. I know that G4's don't. Also try to get non-ECC ram. G5's can apparently use ECC ram, but with the ECC part disabled. But I've never personally tried it.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
8GB is the max for that machine. It can take it without a problem. Just try to get the low density ram. I'm not sure if G5's like high density. I know that G4's don't. Also try to get non-ECC ram. G5's can apparently use ECC ram, but with the ECC part disabled. But I've never personally tried it.

ok, non ECC ram, got it. Here are my mac specs... im still getting 16GB, maybe its wrong?

Power Mac G5
Processor: 2.0GHz G5 (PowerPC 970fx)
Serial #: XB3481JMNVS
Model #: A1047

Current Total Memory:
Current Hard Drive:
Model Family: Power Mac G5
Manufacturer: Motorola
# of CPUs: 2
Base Memory: 512MB PC3200 DIMM
Max Memory: 16GB
# Memory Slots: 8
Brand: Apple
Wireless: Optional
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.2.7
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64MB)
Base Storage: 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 4x Superdrive

Model Number: A1047
Sales Number(s): M9032LL/A
Machine Number(s): PowerMac7,2
Dimensions: 20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight: 39.2 lb
Production: Jun 23, 2003 - Jun 9, 2004
Factory: USA
Production Year: 2003
Production Week: 49 (December)
Production Number: 1789

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That is first model PowerMac G5. It can only take up to 8GB of ram. Where are you getting the 16GB from?

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
That is first model PowerMac G5. It can only take up to 8GB of ram. Where are you getting the 16GB from?

It is the last model they made before intel i think? If you read the specs it says max ram: 16GB.

Power Mac G5
Serial #: XB3481JMNVS
Model #: A1047

Current Total Memory:
Current Hard Drive:
Model Family: Power Mac G5
Manufacturer: Motorola
# of CPUs: 2
Base Memory: 512MB PC3200 DIMM
Max Memory: 16GB

# Memory Slots: 8
Brand: Apple
Wireless: Optional
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.2.7
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64MB)
Base Storage: 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 4x Superdrive

Model Number: A1047
Sales Number(s): M9032LL/A
Machine Number(s): PowerMac7,2
Dimensions: 20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight: 39.2 lb
Production: Jun 23, 2003 - Jun 9, 2004
Factory: USA
Production Year: 2003
Production Week: 49 (December)
Production Number: 1789

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is before Intell Macs by 3 years. Look at your serial number: XB3481JMNVS. Look at the 3-5 numbers. The 3 means it was made in 2003. The 48 means week 48, some time in December.

Now look at the type of ram, PC3200. This is a DDR1 designation. It's the fastest DDR1 ram spec.

Then there's the sales number: M9032LL/A. This is the number for the first PowerMac G5.

Lastly, look at the graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That was only ever on an AGP card. All PowerMac G5's, except for the last model, had AGP cards. The non-AGP model is the one just before Intell Macs. It can take 16GB of DDR2 ram.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
This is before Intell Macs by 3 years. Look at your serial number: XB3481JMNVS. Look at the 3-5 numbers. The 3 means it was made in 2003. The 48 means week 48, some time in December.

Now look at the type of ram, PC3200. This is a DDR1 designation. It's the fastest DDR1 ram spec.

Then there's the sales number: M9032LL/A. This is the number for the first PowerMac G5.

Lastly, look at the graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That was only ever on an AGP card. All PowerMac G5's, except for the last model, had AGP cards. The non-AGP model is the one just before Intell Macs. It can take 16GB of DDR2 ram.

Interesting, I got all the spec by entering my serial number into everymac.com So all that information it listed is correct except the max RAM amount. It should be 8 instead of 16? Glad i asked or I would have followed what the site said!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I am very sure it can only register 8GB of ram. That site has a few incorrect specs on it. Guess I'll add this model to the list.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
I am very sure it can only register 8GB of ram. That site has a few incorrect specs on it. Guess I'll add this model to the list.

yes, please do! 8 GB will be plenty for anything I do.. im just tinkering with it, like i said it was free. He was going to just destroy it! Thanks again for all your help!

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
iceman,

your powermac G5 can only take up to 8GB of DDR RAM matched pairs low density.

The late 2005 which is of dual core varities can take up to 16GB of DDR2 RAM. And they have PCIe for the expansion and Graphics, while yours have either PCI/PCIx for expansion and AGP for Graphics card.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'm still getting the page that states 16GB of ram.

That's odd! I took some screenshots- are we on the same page?:p

Attachments

• ramspecs.png
    ramspecs.png
    36 KB · Views: 56
  • aboveurl.png
    aboveurl.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 69

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Likely not. It could be their CDN messing up again. Everymac is a rather shoddy made site.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
What now?

Ok, now that we got the RAM issue addressed. What was I missing out on by not having a MAC? Any must have apps/programs out there for my G5? Its just my tinkering computer, I have a HP laptop for regular use.

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
Stability. Ease of use. Enjoyment. Beauty. :)

i haven't quite got to the "ease of use" part. I've only ever had windows. So alot of things are different. I like the graphics. I have an older 21" wide cinema display, but i love the way it looks! I need to find a cheap keyboard for this thing... I have an OLD mac keyboard and half of the keys are junk. Any suggestions??

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
i haven't quite got to the "ease of use" part. I've only ever had windows. So alot of things are different. I like the graphics. I have an older 21" wide cinema display, but i love the way it looks! I need to find a cheap keyboard for this thing... I have an OLD mac keyboard and half of the keys are junk. Any suggestions??

If you're coming from Windows (or Linux), it will take a few days or a week to get used to just the basics, especially the window buttons being on the opposite side. But once you get used to that you'll start to notice how much easier OS X is to use than other OS's.

As for must have apps. iLife and iWork are number 1 in my book for must have's. You can also look at MacUpdate to find a ton of apps you've never heard of, read some reviews, and download them direct from there. (iLife '09 works on Power PC Macs. It includes iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, and iWeb - forget iWeb, Apple has dropped support for it. iWork '09 is the last version to work on Power PC Macs and has Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are Apple's far superior versions of Word, Excel, and Power Point - you might already have iLife or iWork on your Mac from the previous owner)

Keyboards are a personal thing, I think, as for what people prefer. How they feel, how big/small they are, wireless/wired, feel of keys, sounds, etc. It's hard to recommend something and have someone be 100% happy. If you have a large computer store near you they should have many models on display, you can always feel them before you buy anything.

Apple makes some very nice keyboards these days but they're not inexpensive. The wired/wireless models are in the $50-60 range I believe. I used an aluminum Apple wireless model for a while and then went and bought the wired version with the keypad on it because I need faster access to a keypad for work.

There is a company called Macally that makes some Mac specific accessories, including keyboards. That's the only other brand I know of other than Apple that has keyboards with the OS X shortcut keys, which is very handy, especially for a new Mac user to learn which keys do what.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist, people sell (older) Apple keyboards dirt cheap pretty regularly if you prefer a clean, working Apple keyboard on a budget.

Last edited:

iceman01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Minnesota
If you're coming from Windows (or Linux), it will take a few days or a week to get used to just the basics, especially the window buttons being on the opposite side. But once you get used to that you'll start to notice how much easier OS X is to use than other OS's.

As for must have apps. iLife and iWork are number 1 in my book for must have's. You can also look at MacUpdate to find a ton of apps you've never heard of, read some reviews, and download them direct from there. (iLife '09 works on Power PC Macs. It includes iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, and iWeb - forget iWeb, Apple has dropped support for it. iWork '09 is the last version to work on Power PC Macs and has Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, which are Apple's far superior versions of Word, Excel, and Power Point - you might already have iLife or iWork on your Mac from the previous owner)

Keyboards are a personal thing, I think, as for what people prefer. How they feel, how big/small they are, wireless/wired, feel of keys, sounds, etc. It's hard to recommend something and have someone be 100% happy. If you have a large computer store near you they should have many models on display, you can always feel them before you buy anything.

Apple makes some very nice keyboards these days but they're not inexpensive. The wired/wireless models are in the $50-60 range I believe. I used an aluminum Apple wireless model for a while and then went and bought the wired version with the keypad on it because I need faster access to a keypad for work.

There is a company called Macally that makes some Mac specific accessories, including keyboards. That's the only other brand I know of other than Apple that has keyboards with the OS X shortcut keys, which is very handy, especially for a new Mac user to learn which keys do what.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist, people sell (older) Apple keyboards dirt cheap pretty regularly if you prefer a clean, working Apple keyboard on a budget.

Thanks bro! As of now I am using an old green and clear semi transparent keyboard from i believe an original iMac? I remember years back apple came out with a bunch of different colored two tone all in ones.. the keyboard works for the most part, but i could for sure use a new one. I will be checking out those programs you mentioned as soon as i am done with this reply. All in all i gotta say i am pretty happy with my G5. I am only using it for basic we surfing and maybe some light photo editing... seems pretty snappy. I may of over did it with the 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HD, but I have no complaints as of yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.