Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think we will see a Retina MacBook Air?

• Yes

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • No, but we will see a higher resolution on the new MacBook Air

Votes: 30 19.2%
  • No and we won't see a new resolution either on the MacBook Air

Votes: 92 59.0%

• Total voters

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Apple could sure get one of these displays. I don't know whether it would use IGZO, though, as I read somewhere color reproduction is not very good on these displays.

There's also a 35W quad-core option that might fit the 13" rMBP. The 35W quad-cores use an HD4600 video card, though.

Right, it's the HD 4600 that makes things complicated.

There are a lot of options for ULV processors with HD 5000 graphics, so I would guess Apple would want to use those. An Air with HD5000 and a Pro with HD 4600 doesn't make much sense.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yep, the technology is definitely here, faster than I thought it would be. The question is whether Apple can built it to fit the pricepoint that they want, and whether there's enough volume of the screens available to meet demand.

Also, what happens to the 13" rMBP in a world with a retina Air?

I wonder if there might be several versions of the MBA offered (a 'standard' and a 'pro' version). For a lower price they could sell the 'standard' display (non-retina) and, for more money, they could sell a 'pro' version that comes with a retina display (and more RAM, larger SSD, faster processor, etc).

The MBA is kind of the current entry level laptop computer sold by Apple. There are, however people like me who would gladly be willing to pay more money and get the upgraded components.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if there might be several versions of the MBA offered (a 'standard' and a 'pro' version). For a lower price they could sell the 'standard' display (non-retina) and, for more money, they could sell a 'pro' version that comes with a retina display (and more RAM, larger SSD, faster processor, etc).

The MBA is kind of the current entry level laptop computer sold by Apple. There are, however people like me who would gladly be willing to pay more money and get the upgraded components.

I wonder if we might see a "13 retina Macbook Air" that's in addition to the normal 13" Air, uses the new 28W CPU with HD 5100 graphics, and basically replaces the 13" rMBP in a more Air-like form factor for $1499+.

Basically Apple's version of a Zenbook Infinity.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Right, it's the HD 4600 that makes things complicated.

There are a lot of options for ULV processors with HD 5000 graphics, so I would guess Apple would want to use those. An Air with HD5000 and a Pro with HD 4600 doesn't make much sense.

Definitely it doesn't. Well, let's see how things are going to play out. We're at less than one hour from the big event!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Definitely it doesn't. Well, let's see how things are going to play out. We're at less than one hour from the big event!

I would actually really like an Apple equivalent of the Zenbook Infinity. Retina screen, form factor more like the Air, with that 28W CPU with the Iris 5100 graphics. Sort of a Macbook Air +

One issue with that is there's only a single processor SKU in that 28W bracket, and Apple usually likes to have at least one CPU upgrade option so people can give them more money.

One of Kuo's predictions was a thinner 13" rMBP, maybe it will be something like that.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
No they won't. The best you will see this upgrade cycle is slightly thinner rMBP, which Haswell will allow them to do. But it is impossible to make an Air with retina display while retaining its current form factor and battery life, with the available technologies.

There are certain technological realities, people. Apple doesn't just make stuff by magic and smoke. And you cannot wish "retina MBA" into existence.

I think there is no justification for Retina on the low end model. Any graphics advantage would sooner go into battery life. It can be done, but I think Apple will wait for the 14 nm processor, and not a die-shrink of Haswell either.

2015, as a previous poster said, will make some sense. And only then if competing ultrabooks offer it (and they might not because they might go for all-day battery).

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
What are you talking about?!

Did the retina Phone 4 ruin the iPhone? Was it a lot thicker? Was the battery life significantly worse? Was it significantly more expensive?

No, no, no!!! It was a fantastic hit!

Apple could do the same with the MBA.

----------

Exactly! It's astounding how many people here are so certain they know what Apple can and can not do technically. The naysayers are not engineers who work for Apple.

i am glad Apple did the right thing and came out with the only laptop update i care about (and makes sense). it simply doesn't make sense to give macbook pro a retina. it's completely different than what they did with iphone 4. there is only ONE iPhone so they need to have the best and greatest. there however are many laptop models so you can choose the one that suits your needs. you want retina? the MBP Retina 13 inch is exactly what u need! it's only 0.5lb heavier than mba. what is the point of having MBA and rMBP if they are exactly the same???????

second, yes the battery will take a hit because the higher cpu/gpu required to run it. iphone 4 is far far smaller than a laptop size retina....the impact to battery life is much greater.

----------

People want it. That's why there are always people hogging them in Apple Stores. People just can't afford it, or in reality don't need the extra horsepower under the hood.

Retina in the Macbook Airs would be amazing for its physical size. It would only ruin the laptop in your eyes. From reading your post in the other thread I can't help but feel you would be better off with a cMBP anyway.

We know that leaked prices suggest that Apple is keeping the current prices for the Macbook Air. So either they have found a way to fit a retina display in without compromising on price, or we aren't getting one. Considering earlier rumors of the Macbook Air getting a retina display in Q3 anyway I'm more inclined to think we might just see the upgrade this WWDC.

You have to think though, in reality the Retina iPad screens aren't that much smaller than an 11" Air screen. It's doable. With the right power management.

i dont get this, 13 inch retina mbp and 13 inch mbp are exactly the same device, same ssd, same memory, same design philosophy to make it as thin and light as possible. at the end rMBP is ONLY 0.5 lb heavier. that means, it's the tradeoff u take for having a retina screen. in other words, we already have a retina MBA! that's the rMBP PRO 13 inch!! So what are people complaining about??? it doesn't make any sense to me that they want a retina MBA when 13 rMBP is exactly what Apple would have made if they make a rMBA!! They are the same freaking computers just diff screen!

i am very happy that Apple continued the regular resolution MBA cuz I had absolutely no need for retina and would love to save all the power for my battery :)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Really like the battery life and reduced price of the new Air, but I wish they had done something about the screen quality. Resolution is fine but an IPS display would have been really nice.

I guess the updates to the retina models are coming later this year as the new display panels and CPUs are ready.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
i dont get this, 13 inch retina mbp and 13 inch mbp are exactly the same device, same ssd, same memory, same design philosophy to make it as thin and light as possible. at the end rMBP is ONLY 0.5 lb heavier. that means, it's the tradeoff u take for having a retina screen. in other words, we already have a retina MBA! that's the rMBP PRO 13 inch!! So what are people complaining about??? it doesn't make any sense to me that they want a retina MBA when 13 rMBP is exactly what Apple would have made if they make a rMBA!! They are the same freaking computers just diff screen!

i am very happy that Apple continued the regular resolution MBA cuz I had absolutely no need for retina and would love to save all the power for my battery :)

i agree with this whole heartedly. i don't understand the other side of this position. that is the point of the ultralights - batterylife was definitely the limiting reagent - especially with the 11"

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
i agree with this whole heartedly. i don't understand the other side of this position. that is the point of the ultralights - batterylife was definitely the limiting reagent - especially with the 11"

Pick up a windows ultra book, in one hand, something like the Asus Zenbook. Then pick up an MBA in the other. Walk over to a table, and set them down.

First thing you'll notice is they are about identical in weight, thinness and size.

Flip the lids open and turn them on.

Second thing you'll notice is how much better the Asus screen is, in just about every metric. It's brighter, its sharper, it's got far better color saturation, and it's got better viewing angles.

That's the point.

The only thing I prefer about the MBA (13) screen is it's 16:10 AR vs 16:9 on the ASUS.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Pick up a windows ultra book, in one hand, something like the Asus Zenbook. Then pick up an MBA in the other. Walk over to a table, and set them down.

First thing you'll notice is they are about identical in weight, thinness and size.

Flip the lids open and turn them on.

Second thing you'll notice is how much better the Asus screen is, in just about every metric. It's brighter, its sharper, it's got far better color saturation, and it's got better viewing angles.

That's the point.

The only thing I prefer about the MBA (13) screen is it's 16:10 AR vs 16:9 on the ASUS.

like i said, "especially the 11-inch"

i think the idea is, if you want a high-res MBA then get the 13" rMBP. at only half a pound heavier and a slightly smaller footprint, it's functionally the same weight and size as the 13" MBA and has the better screen.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
i am glad Apple did the right thing and came out with the only laptop update i care about (and makes sense). it simply doesn't make sense to give macbook pro a retina. it's completely different than what they did with iphone 4. there is only ONE iPhone so they need to have the best and greatest. there however are many laptop models so you can choose the one that suits your needs. you want retina? the MBP Retina 13 inch is exactly what u need! it's only 0.5lb heavier than mba. what is the point of having MBA and rMBP if they are exactly the same???????

second, yes the battery will take a hit because the higher cpu/gpu required to run it. iphone 4 is far far smaller than a laptop size retina....the impact to battery life is much greater.

----------

Apple will update the MBA probably in 2014. And it will feature a retina display, and be even lighter and thinner. It's inevitable. But battery life will be kept, thanks to advances in display technologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.