Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I'm not sure, but I think it's the wire. When I connect my iPod, the problem is, one side of the connector doesn't work, the other just barely. When I plug in, it requires to be jiggled a bit so it can start charging. If I touch the wire connector, if I pull it, it stops charging. I tried with my PC, my Mac and my external charger. It always make that charging sound when you connect, I hear it like 3 times in a row, and I'm sure it affects the battery a lot. I still have warranty. Can somebody help me?

qwerty994

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
California
I don't have another one. This is the only device in my house that has a lighning connector. I have 2 30-pin cables and 2 30-pin docks.

Then unfortunately you're going to have to buy another one. Or if you have a friend with one, try that one.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
if you have a warranty then theyll replace it even if you broke it. i had the same problem a few years ago, just return it and consider purchasing another backup one or even a lightning to 30 pin adapter.

Beyongthewall

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Houston
Definitely sounds like the charging cord is broken. Try with a different one.

Agreed ! The charging cord can be bought under 1$ in my area, and it works well as the original.

PS. most of current mobile chargers has an additional charging kit for iOS device and it is very convenient for outdoor usage.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
if you have a warranty then theyll replace it even if you broke it. i had the same problem a few years ago, just return it and consider purchasing another backup one or even a lightning to 30 pin adapter.

Do I need to make a Genius reservation or I can just bring it to somebody who works at the Apple Store?

----------

Do I need to bring only my iPod Touch with his wire? Do they have the serial number to verify that it still have a warranty?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Ok, so I go to the Apple store with a Genius reservation. Yes, it is the cable problem, they changed it for free and it works now.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapters cost more than a Lightning cable. May as well just buy a spare Lightning cable.

jmac3

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
what sucks about those large docking ports is it's a perfect trap for pocket lint, dust and all kinds of debris.
, that may have been passed on to the charging cable as well. get some 99% iso and a stiff brush and clean out both ports on ipod and cable. dont keep jiggling it, or you can eventually really break something

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
New cable. I've had 3 lightning cables replaced so far.

Man, that sucks. Why the h*** did they changed the connector after 10 years using a good connector? The 30-pin was better, more reliable and just the fact that my iPod Touch have that new connector means it won't work with older accessories unless I buy an Lightning to 30-pin adapter. Seriously, Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.