Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I only know I have to check whether there any scratches , cosmetic problem.
What else to check when we first get iPhone 4/4S/5
How to check camera quality and sound quality, dead pixels etc? Thanks!

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada

More importantly, call someone. See if the phone works for its primary reason. Make sure you get a good clear strong signal, and also check the promximaty sensor.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

I think you pretty much nailed it. Check signal strength.

I got a new sim from AT&T which totally destroyed my LTE.

had to switch back to the original.

If you're getting slow LTE don't settle

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
--dead pixels
--dust under screen
--chips in the aluminum finish
--interlacing horizontal or vertical lines problem. Easily seen on blue toolbars, or when moving your eyes across screen, hard to explain but definitely present
--loose power/volume buttons
--rippling screen when pressing volume buttons

I had all of these issues over 5 different phones, all black.

I ended up keeping one with a chip in the aluminum finish and a loose power button as those were the least egregious problems.

Would have no problem buying another iphone 5 if Apple let me choose among 10 of them. Never had this many issues with any other phone trying to get a "good one".

Interestingly, battery life is worse than the iphone 4 it replaced, although the iphone 5 is light years faster.

I'm pretty sure that the iphone 5 will be my last iOS phone. Android will be ready for primetime by then. I can not justify the high cost anymore of owning an iphone. Quite surprised at how iOS has stagnated and how Android is only getting better. I thought that the maps debacle was completely overblown, until I went to a new city. Major, and we are talking nationally or world-renowned landmarks were in the wrong place. Just by about 3 blocks, but I would head South like the maps said, and I trusted my eyes that the big honking building that was in front of me, just like I had seen in the movies, was in fact north of me. My eyes were right. Mind you, I went straight off an address, which means that maps was getting actual addresses wrong. Maps wasn't wrong every time, but it was wrong alot of the time, so much so that I simply could not trust maps when I needed to get anywhere. How would I know when maps would be right and when it would be wrong? Completely lame.

All of the above issues would be more forgivable if the competition weren't alot lot cheaper. My unlocked device was nearly $900. Pretty ballsy, and if you're going to sell for that high margins, you'd better deliver.

Last edited:

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
check to see if the speaker works, check the gps/wifi/bluetooth, load it with media (music, videos, podcasts,etc), plug in your earpods and check the lightning port just to name a few

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
More importantly, call someone. See if the phone works for its primary reason. Make sure you get a good clear strong signal, and also check the promximaty sensor.

Yeah and while you're at it, make sure you can watch a movie in full from itunes. And make sure that every single one of your contacts get your texts. And make sure that the weather app works for every city and town in the world.

No but seriously just check the immedietely apparent hardware, then if there are any hidden problems theyll show themselves as you use the phone. Apple is really good with replacing their stuff, and theyre nice about it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I had the same dilemma this week and though I had reservations about buying a phone from Craigslist, I just couldn't pass up the deal. So I booked an appointment at the Genius bar to check out the phone. I told the seller up front it was a condition of purchase. The Apple store staff checked the 4S for free and the seller was happy to meet me in a nice public place.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Just use the phone and if an issue comes up, restore. Saves you a trip to the apple store, if it persists restore it again, if it still happens then just replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.