Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
Hello everyone I am doing a project for college and need to make a phpmyadmin database of all apple product specifications. I am having a hard time finding this database. I have emailed many websites and also mactracker creator to try and obtain the database. No one has gotten back to me. Anyone have any ideas on how or where I can get a database?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No one is going to give you a database that contains all of the specifications. You'll need to do the legwork yourself.

Check out wikipedia, everymac and apple-history. You should be able to see the models and create your own database

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
No one is going to give you a database that contains all of the specifications. You'll need to do the legwork yourself.

Check out wikipedia, everymac and apple-history. You should be able to see the models and create your own database

I know they probly think im gonna compete with them, But it's honestly only for a school project. The data is easy to find but I don't wanna waste weeks doing data entry when I can use someone elses database.

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
So in other words, you want someone else to do your homework for you.

My homework is not building a database, My teacher tells us to use a database thats already built and not to waste time on data entry. My project is more of building a website and using MYSQL/PHPMYADMIN.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know they probly think im gonna compete with them, But it's honestly only for a school project. The data is easy to find but I don't wanna waste weeks doing data entry when I can use someone elses database.

Well reach out to those people and see, but to be honest, I don't think any organization will hand out their specification database. For instance EveryMac's claim to fame is the database that holds all the mac models. Thy spent a lot of time and money compiling and entering the information. They're not about to give it away.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
No one will give you their database- that is proprietary information that took them in some cases years to develop. I would create a simple database, and then just copy and paste the data from apps/sites like mac tracker or mac history.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
My homework is not building a database, My teacher tells us to use a database thats already built and not to waste time on data entry. My project is more of building a website and using MYSQL/PHPMYADMIN.

So, you can use any database then? Why don't you go download any number of public databases? You could download dbSNP.

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
Thanks for the insight guys, I guess I will make a simple database and just copy and paste the info I need. I can focuse on macbook pro and macbook air.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
1) phpMyAdmin isn't a database
2) No such databases exists. However, you could probably screen scrape Wikipedia for Apple products and their specs (Wiki has specs on almost every product - past and present).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.