Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
No, I don't think so. Apple isn't losing its way.
Although Android occupies a large part of market, Apple still has the advantage of it. As an Apple fan, I believe that Apple will be better and better.:cool:

Yep . Who cares about standard USB, sd card, it's about the OS. Yes Apple has been in catchup mode, bad them, but that's done.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I think Apple is spreading itself thin into too many areas, but I just use what I need. I've finally learned the iPad is unnecessary for me since I don't take my Mini on my commute and barely use it.

As long as they keep making computers that work for me, I'll support them.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I think Apple is spreading itself thin into too many areas, but I just use what I need. I've finally learned the iPad is unnecessary for me since I don't take my Mini on my commute and barely use it.

As long as they keep making computers that work for me, I'll support them.

It's the opposite. While they should have dumped the Mac mini, cMBP 13", iPhone 4s and iPad 2 long ago, iPods too, they should also have made:

3 iPhone models: 4", 4.7, 5.5
3 iPad models: 7.9, 9.7, 12
1 MBA: 12
3 rMBP: 14, 16, 18
iMacs are good
nMP is good

But clearly they could enter:

iWatch
TVs
Cars
Fiber/4g networks
mobile payments
Selling power and datacenter space.

Instead of throwing away money to greedy shareholders, they could use those 60 billion to fulfill great possibilities.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It's the opposite. While they should have dumped the Mac mini, cMBP 13", iPhone 4s and iPad 2 long ago, iPods too, they should also have made:

3 iPhone models: 4", 4.7, 5.5
3 iPad models: 7.9, 9.7, 12
1 MBA: 12
3 rMBP: 14, 16, 18
iMacs are good
nMP is good

But clearly they could enter:

iWatch
TVs
Cars
Fiber/4g networks
mobile payments
Selling power and datacenter space.

Instead of throwing away money to greedy shareholders, they could use those 60 billion to fulfill great possibilities.

That's how you see it and there's nothing wrong there. I just think that's is too much without giving consideration to quality control. Bump up the quality control on existing products before branching out further. Yeah, the rMBP and nMP are terrific, but I would love to see that kind of innovation in their other desktops since I am not in the financial bracket to purchase either of those machines.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… sunk to sparse incremental innovation and in many cases, just playing catch up to competitors. …

… I don't believe they've lost their way. They have become what all mass marketers become, a solution for the general public. Unfortunately for many of us, we're not part of that group. …

… I'm left with the feeling that Apple has become somewhat sterile. More specifically: a sterility to the company's public expression of its own plans and abilities … something like that. …

From just over a year ago:

Apple is less exciting without Steve Jobs. … I and many are still hopeful of what Apple can come up with next, so they haven't lost our attention yet.

The need a handful of really crazy product developers... Woz kind of nuts-n-bolts guys that just make crazy stuff that breaks all the existing rules...Just to piss Johnny off.

Steve's real talent was picking the best "rough diamond" out of a bag o rocks and then selling it. Apple needs a new source of "bags of rocks" and the stomach to back crazy bad ideas just for practice.

They almost need a second company that can play fast and loose with all of Apple's established rules. Something about one step up from a Maker-space... And when that company finds great ideas, Apple can polish them up.

– I like that idea. If a 'new Apple' presents itself to me in a sterile way, maybe that's because the fast-and-loose stuff is so strictly under wraps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.