Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinkade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
California
I wrote up a paper for school, saved it on my flash drive and went off to school.

Only problem is my school is entirely PC, and I didn’t remember to save it for word.

I need a program that can convert a pages document to word or let me open it in another program on the PC.

I tried installing open office on the computer here at school but it wont let me. I should be able to install most other programs though.

When my professor asks me who I don’t have it done I don’t want to say because I use a mac. Well I do, but I shouldn't.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I wrote up a paper for school, saved it on my flash drive and went off to school.

Only problem is my school is entirely PC, and I didn’t remember to save it for word.

I need a program that can convert a pages document to word or let me open it in another program on the PC.

I tried installing open office on the computer here at school but it wont let me. I should be able to install most other programs though.

When my professor asks me who I don’t have it done I don’t want to say because I use a mac. Well I do, but I shouldn't.

Email it to me at xxxx.com and I'll convert it for you.

Edit: two years later, I'm still getting requests because of this thread. I'm going to have to get out of this business -- sorry.

triplejadogg

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Hi,

Can someone help me with a conversion document.. I have a interview today and I updated my resume on Pages at Home and emailed it to myself at work which is a PC. I have no idea how to change the format.. can I email it to someone here and have you guys convert it for me??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

mnh73

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
An easy solution

Some continued googling revealed a much easier solution. Apparently the .pages format is really just a zipped file. You can open it with winzip, stuffit expander, or any such program. If you don't have one of those programs, one suggestion that I read that I'm pretty sure would work is to just change the file extension from .pages to .zip and then windows will open it with its built-in compressed folder utility.

Once you do open it, you'll find a bunch of individual files, but also a pdf titled "preview" which has the entire contents all in one convenient pdf.

Much easier than finding a generous soul to email.

MH

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've been unable to replicate that; the .pages "file" is actually a directory. There's a thumbs/page_thumb_1.tiff inside it containing a thumbnail of the document, but it's far too small. There's also a .gz archive but it only contains XML.

It's possible that newer (or older) versions of Pages (I have version 3, aka '08) use a different format though.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Some continued googling revealed a much easier solution. Apparently the .pages format is really just a zipped file. You can open it with winzip, stuffit expander, or any such program. If you don't have one of those programs, one suggestion that I read that I'm pretty sure would work is to just change the file extension from .pages to .zip and then windows will open it with its built-in compressed folder utility.

Once you do open it, you'll find a bunch of individual files, but also a pdf titled "preview" which has the entire contents all in one convenient pdf.

Much easier than finding a generous soul to email.

MH

I did this on my Mac...haven't tried it on the Windows box. The file will indeed change to .zip, and it does contain the pdf you talk about, but it's much smaller than standard 8.5 x 11.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I did this on my Mac...haven't tried it on the Windows box. The file will indeed change to .zip, and it does contain the pdf you talk about, but it's much smaller than standard 8.5 x 11.

It might not work on some documents. When you save in Pages, there's a checkbox that says "Include preview in document." If that's not checked, you don't get the full size PDF.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.