Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evolvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
York, UK
I just thought I'd see if I could clarify a minor point regarding the batttery calibration process listed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

After the laptop has been resting in its fully charged state for two hours and one disconnects the power adapter, is it permissible to allow the laptop to sleep at any point during the complete drain of the battery? i.e. could I disconnect my MacBook Pro in the morning while its sleeping and use it over the course of a day, putting it to sleep at various points, and then complete the drain of the battery in the evening? Or does the laptop have to be properly on from the start and during the entire drain of the battery?

Thanks for any help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
is it permissible to allow the laptop to sleep at any point during the complete drain of the battery?
Yes, you can let it sleep while draining, but it will take much longer to drain the battery that way. Why would you want to have it sleep, when the intention is to use the battery to drain it?
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Evolvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
York, UK
Why would you want to have it sleep, when the intention is to use the battery to drain it?

Because I carry my laptop with me most days. I'm a student and use it on campus. If calibrating the battery required the laptop to be fully on during the whole process, I would have to connect the power adapter as soon as I got home, wait for it to fully charge, wait for it to rest in that state for two hours, and only then begin calibrating. The fact that sleep doesn't interrupt the process, means I can use my MacBook all day at university, necessarily with periods of sleep, and finish draining the battery on the evening, saving me a lot of time and inconvenience.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link to the FAQ. So am I right in thinking that the only things that can interrupt the calibration process are shutting the computer off or reattaching the power adapter?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So am I right in thinking that the only things that can interrupt the calibration process are shutting the computer off or reattaching the power adapter?
Yes. Or interrupting the 2 hours fully charged with the AC power connected.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Yes. Or interrupting the 2 hours fully charged with the AC power connected.

I am calibrating my battery right now and in the first portion of calibration (charging to 100%) i shut down my computer and restarded a few times. Does that mean I interrupted calibration or is only when discharging?

Thanks,
Pietro

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am calibrating my battery right now and in the first portion of calibration (charging to 100%) i shut down my computer and restarded a few times. Does that mean I interrupted calibration or is only when discharging?

Thanks,
Pietro
Once it's fully charged, allow it to remain plugged in for 2 hours, without shutting down or restarting. It's fine if you restarted or shut down while you were charging it. I assume you're referring to the MacBook in your signature.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Once it's fully charged, allow it to remain plugged in for 2 hours, without shutting down or restarting. It's fine if you restarted or shut down while you were charging it. I assume you're referring to the MacBook in your signature.

Thanks,
Yes I was referring to the one in my signature (just got a replacement battery).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.