Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy62707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I want to use the Find my iPod with my iPod touch 4.2.1. From what I have read I need iCloud. Can I add iCloud to iPod touch 4.2.1? If not, is there another way to add the Find my iPod to my iPod touch?

thank you,
Cindy

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If you have an iCloud account that was "upgraded" from a MobileMe account, you can use Find my i{Device} by adding a MobileMe account in the settings app. I don't know about newly-created iCloud accounts, though.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Is there a way to force the iPod 4.2.1 to up grade to 5? When I ask it to update it says it is already up to date (when obviously it isn't if it isn't a 5).

Thanks
Cindy
What model do you have? The model number from Settings->General->About on the iPod will give us enough info.

iOS 4.2.1 was the last version support on the 2nd generation iPod Touch. So if that is what you have, you are up to date for it.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Is there a way to force the iPod 4.2.1 to up grade to 5? When I ask it to update it says it is already up to date (when obviously it isn't if it isn't a 5).

Thanks
Cindy

The only iPod touches that support iOS 5 are the one with the camera (4th generation) and the one before the one with the camera (3rd generation). If you're being told it's up to date on 4.2.1, you can no longer update. It's not possible to force the update. It either supports it or it doesn't and in this case, it's obvious it doesn't.

You must have the iPod touch 2G. It's the only iPod touch currently on 4.2.1. It has been discontinued and supports nothing past that. If you want iCloud, you MUST have a device that supports iOS 5. This site has a write-up on how to update your device if you ARE running iOS 5. http://techc0re.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/quick-tip-updating-your-ios-device/

Cindy62707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
What model do you have? The model number from Settings->General->About on the iPod will give us enough info.

iOS 4.2.1 was the last version support on the 2nd generation iPod Touch. So if that is what you have, you are up to date for it.

Version 5.2.1
Model MB528LL

Nowhere do I see a category that says what generation it is.

Does this help?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Version 5.2.1
Model MB528LL

Does this help?

You have a second generation.

In order to use iCloud you will have to get a 3rd Generation or 4th Generation iPod touch.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Version 5.2.1
Model MB528LL

Does this help?

Searching the model number on Google brings up the generation. It wouldn't say the generation on the device anyway. Your device does not support iOS 5 and was discontinued in late 2010, therefore, you cannot use iCloud. You have to buy an iOS 5 supported device to do so.

skiplo

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
It's possible if:

You can use iCloud on a 2nd gen ipod touch IF you already have an iCloud account. I also have a 4th gen ipod touch with iCloud account. There are other ways to obtain an account such as updating from mobile me, ect. I don't know of other ways but you can google it. I just know it works if you ALREADY have an iCloud account. Here is what I've found so far:

Connect your device by WiFi, then:

Mail:
Make a new Others > MailAccount in Settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Set it as follows:
IMAP (incoming Server)
Server: imap.mail.me.com
SSL: yes
Port: 993
Username: The Apple ID you use for iCloud (username@me.com)
Password: your password
Description: whatever you want

Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.me.com
Server: smtp.mail.me.com
SSL: yes
Port: 587
smtp Auth: yes
Username: The Apple ID you use for iCloud (username@me.com)

Calendars:
Make a new Others > CalDAV account in Settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Set it as follows:
Server: caldav.icloud.com
User Name: The Apple ID you use for iCloud (username@me.com)
Next open the Calendar App and select (check) the Calendars you wish to view on the device.
(some devices will sync quickly, others require restart)

Contacts:
Make a new Others > CardDAV account in Settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
Server:contacts.icloud.com
User Name: Apple ID you use for iCloud (username@me.com)
(if you have problems with sync, goto Advanced Settings. SSL=OFF. let it re-verify. Settings should be re-set by iCloud to
SSL: ON, and Port: 443)

Find My iPhone:
Make a new MobileMe account in Settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
User Name: Apple ID you use for iCloud (username@me.com)
There will be a switch to turn on Find My iPhone.

Documents:
Apps accessing iCloud for document storage require the iOS 5 SDK so I don't think we'll be able to use document syncing on iOS 4.

(NOTE: you may notice that AFTER you have used the info above, the actual Server listed on your device will be updated by
iCloud based upon your Username and Password)

Hope this is useful !

brasshorn

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
Many, many thanks! You've inspired me to join the forum and post this message. (I've been scanning and reading MacRumors for the past couple of years.)

I've played around with this trying to get this to work (translation: wasted a bunch of time), and had given up on it. I had pretty much given up on using the calendar on my iPod touch 2 and was sadly taking my iPad around everytime I needed access to my calendar. The iCloud syncing works great IMO, which is why I was dragging my iPad around, but I don't think it would have hurt Apple to make it compatible with the earlier units... Thanks again!

EDITED: First time post. I tried to shorten the quote of skiplo and ended up with some code and the quote?... So, I removed the quote.

Farhan360

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Can anyone dumb out what skiplo said because I have a 2g but I dont know how to add a new others or any of what he said and please make sure you cover everything

Last edited:

gipcastle

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
icloud on iphone 3G

Skiplo: Brilliant explanation 26 March. Mail and Calendars work absolutely fine but Contacts still not syncing. Any more tips you can give?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.