Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneix

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Just want to know before I buy if i can run SWTOR on my mac. its mid 2008 and specs are

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM
ATI HD Radeon 2600 256 MB vram

if not please cn anyone advise whats need to improve

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
by the way, just to report:

The 2011 Mac Mini with i7/2.7Ghz, 4GB memory, 6630M, 750GB HDD, etc plays SWTOR at 1920x1200 with everything on full except shadows. Shadows have to be turned to low, but once that is done, it plays perfectly through bootcamp and Windows7 64-bit.

Just FYI in case anyone needed to know.

----------

Just want to know before I buy if i can run SWTOR on my mac. its mid 2008 and specs are

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM

Yes, you should be able to play it, though I would upgrade your memory to 4GB. The cost of the upgrade will be minimal. Just install windows using bootcamp, upgrade to the latest video driver for your video card, and you should be good to go.

The 2600 is more powerful than the 9400M I was playing on, and with everything turned to low or very low I was able to play fairly well at 1920x1200 which is the same resolution as your iMac.

Varigon

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM

I have a 2008 iMac with a slower 2.66GHz C2D processor, but I have 4GB RAM in mine. I haven't played much but it runs OK at very low settings at native resolution. I'm running the game in Windows 7 using boot camp.

shortychamp

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
What settings will my MBP run with old republic ????

2.4GHz MacBook Pro
(MC374LL/A) 2.66GHz MacBook Pro
(MC375LL/A)
Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 cache 3MB shared
System bus 1066MHz
Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB
Hard drive6 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm 320GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
Video iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
Expansion One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), SD card slot
Audio Stereo speakers with subwoofers, omnidirectional microphone, combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)

I would like to know how good old republic will run with my laptop and what settings i need to set to get the best rsults thanks

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
So my friends are asking me to join them in SWTOR. I have the following 3 Macs, and wondering which one is the best to use.

- MacBook Pro (Mid-2007) C2D 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

- iMac (Early 2009) C2D 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

- MacBook Air (Mid-2011) Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Reading this thread, it seems the best way is to use BootCamp.

Thanks.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
So my friends are asking me to join them in SWTOR. I have the following 3 Macs, and wondering which one is the best to use.

- MacBook Pro (Mid-2007) C2D 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

- iMac (Early 2009) C2D 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

- MacBook Air (Mid-2011) Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Reading this thread, it seems the best way is to use BootCamp.

Thanks.

while theoretically the 8600M is the fastest performing GPU there... being that those models have seriously bad problems of dying, i wouldn't game on it. The Geforce 9400 is a bit too slow. The Intel HD 3000 will run it better.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
while theoretically the 8600M is the fastest performing GPU there... being that those models have seriously bad problems of dying, i wouldn't game on it. The Geforce 9400 is a bit too slow. The Intel HD 3000 will run it better.
I had my 2007 MacBook Pro checked at the Genius Bar, where they ran that GPU test, and it came out fine. I'm hoping that since it has not failed in the last 5 years, it is not part of that bad batch of GPU's.

So assuming the MacBook Pro is good, you think it is the best one to run the game? Is performanance more dependent on the CPU or the GPU?

Thanks for your reply.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I had my 2007 MacBook Pro checked at the Genius Bar, where they ran that GPU test, and it came out fine. I'm hoping that since it has not failed in the last 5 years, it is not part of that bad batch of GPU's.

So assuming the MacBook Pro is good, you think it is the best one to run the game? Is performanance more dependent on the CPU or the GPU?

Thanks for your reply.

you'll just have to play with the settings... SWTOR seems to be heavy on the CPU, but the GPU is important as well.

and all 8600M GPUs are bad, no matter what Apple tells you, or what "tests" they run. They are ticking time bombs.

I had one run for four years... I had one run for a year... I had Apple replace them with the "fixed" versions that have also died later as well, and I know several other people who have ones that went bad that were supposed to good, or had been replaced already. I wouldn't trust it even if its lasted 5 years now.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
So I decided to use the MacBook Air 13-inch and use Windows 7 64-bit through Boot Camp. I was able to try the game over the weekend, through their Weekend Pass Free Trial. I was able to play pretty well with Low settings, at the MBA's native resolution (1440 x 900). I even tried to raise some graphic settings like texture and render, and it still played fine. The FPS was between 22-25. Just don't enable vsync or AA.

I was playing on an RP server, and wasn't able to try the PVE or PVP servers, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It looks like I might just get this game.

SWTORonMBA

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I successfully have the game running. I have a 13" MBA with 128gb. I partitioned 50gb for Win 7 Home Premium and copied my SWTOR folder from external to laptop. I'm running the game on low settings and it's perfectly fine.

Hey I tried seeing if I could PM about this, but apparently I can't. So I sent you a friend request...

Anyways, it seems you and I have the same macbook air. The 13 default. 128 gb, hd3000?

I am a noob when it comes to running bootcamp and it seems what you did is the best way to maximize performance on SWTOR. Right now, I'm running parallels and I get about 20 FPS on average, in war zones I get a crawling 0-10 FPS.

I want to run bootcamp and partition my hard drive. What do I need for my macbook air to do this? When I run boot camp assistant it says I need a USB flash drive...

Also, I was wondering what FPS are you getting on your boot camp partition?

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Hey I tried seeing if I could PM about this, but apparently I can't. So I sent you a friend request...

Anyways, it seems you and I have the same macbook air. The 13 default. 128 gb, hd3000?

I am a noob when it comes to running bootcamp and it seems what you did is the best way to maximize performance on SWTOR. Right now, I'm running parallels and I get about 20 FPS on average, in war zones I get a crawling 0-10 FPS.

I want to run bootcamp and partition my hard drive. What do I need for my macbook air to do this? When I run boot camp assistant it says I need a USB flash drive...

Also, I was wondering what FPS are you getting on your boot camp partition?

Sorry my reply was so late. Just now noticed it.

Honestly, I have no idea what the FPS got. I haven't played the game in months. I do know that it ran pretty smoothly. All I did was partition 50gb to Windows 7. I had no other programs installed on the "boot camp'd" Win 7. Installed SWTOR. I believe I had the graphics set to medium. I think the highest setting made it a little laggy.

I stopped playing it on the Air though because I was afraid the computer would overheat.

anderssewerin

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
Stretched graphics, iMac with ATI HD 4800

EDIT: Here's the drivers I was missing, and they totally solved the issue:

http://www.techpowerup.com/155538/AMD-Rolls-Out-Catalyst-11.11a-Performance-Driver.html

END OF EDIT

Hi,

My kid want to play SW:TOR on our 27" iMac under Bootcamp. It installs, but the 3D objects are all stretched, and look ridiculous.

I have tried the tips from this thread:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=530443

No joy.

I can install the newer ATI Bootcamp drivers, but the link for the Catalyst 11.11a performance driver is dead, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
All this windows and bootcamp stuff is cool. but i freaking hate windows and cant ever use it in my house again, i am forced to at work though. My question is when is this game coming natively to OS X??????

Reactions: orbital~debris

neurophysicist

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Dagobah
Hello,

Sorry if this was already addressed in previous posts, but I was wondering how people found performance to be since TOR came out.

I have an early 2011 MBP, quad core 2.2 (6750 HD) and 8 GB 1600 MHZ.

I use Windows 7 via Parallels occasionally for some apps for school and I was wondering how much difference people noticed in performance between Parallels and Bootcamp. I'd prefer not to install Windows natively, and I don't mind having graphics settings down when playing the game if I stick to Parallels. Thanks for the help.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Hello,

Sorry if this was already addressed in previous posts, but I was wondering how people found performance to be since TOR came out.

I have an early 2011 MBP, quad core 2.2 (6750 HD) and 8 GB 1600 MHZ.

I use Windows 7 via Parallels occasionally for some apps for school and I was wondering how much difference people noticed in performance between Parallels and Bootcamp. I'd prefer not to install Windows natively, and I don't mind having graphics settings down when playing the game if I stick to Parallels. Thanks for the help.

The performance cost is too extreme. Not to mention all sorts of glitches and hang ups that exist in lots of parallels apps. Don't do it. Go natively and you will see.

elephant

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
London, UK
Just wanted to give some hope for those who want to use Parallels:

Installed SWTOR yesterday in Windows 8 through Parallels 8 Desktop, and although I was skeptical at first, I can run the game in 2560x1440 fullscreen on my mid-2011 iMac 27" (2.7GHz i5, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB) with very high framerates.

Granted, I can't run it on highest graphic settings, but it's not on the lowest either. MOst is on low, character texture is on high and shader is on low to give it more depth. Works perfectly.

Only problem is that even though I've increased mouse speed to maximum in Windows, it's still feels a bit like syrup. Any tips on how to increase mouse tracker speed above Windows' scale?

MGregory666

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
UK
Sorry to restart an old thread but has any one come across any news of a native port for SW: TOR? The last I heard was back in January 2012 when the good Dr's were still at Bioware and they stated that a native OS X port was something they were wanting to do. Obviously since then Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have left and its not been mentioned since.

So has anyone read or heard anything to the contrey? I play the game and love it on my Boot Camp partition but a native port is something I have always wanted. I mean all other MMORPG's do it. It's part of the reason why WoW has been so successful over the years as their Mac user base is huge. :apple:

Reactions: orbital~debris

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
and all 8600M GPUs are bad, no matter what Apple tells you, or what "tests" they run. They are ticking time bombs.

unless you get it replaced, the replacements HAD to use proper solder on the joints , not the shoddy stuff that cracked and disintegrated under heat load over time.

But yes, if its an original shipping 8600, its going to die eventually, i ran my macbook pro 24/7 under PCMARK in bootcamp until it died and got apple to replace the logicboard under the extended warranty, its now sound and running strong.

----------

I absolutely grew to hate this game with a passion just by playing it and listening to Bioware devs.

I loved the game, right up until it went free to play, and they started spamming everything with the store...that and the horrible horrible trolls and "gold" farmers that all flocked in once the paywall dropped.

Not since the Starwars Galaxies NGE upgrade has a game been so royally fubared

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I loved the game, right up until it went free to play, and they started spamming everything with the store...that and the horrible horrible trolls and "gold" farmers that all flocked in once the paywall dropped.

Not since the Starwars Galaxies NGE upgrade has a game been so royally fubared

I loved old school SWG, but I disagree. I think SWTOR is a much better game now as a F2P title. It never felt like a real MMO. It works a lot better this way. As a Co-Op story action RPG. Thats the strength. Thats the fun bit, and what makes it stand out. It never was and never can be a real MMO.

comato

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
help running swtor on my mac

I'm trying to run SWTOR on my mac, i've downloaded CrossOver, installed SWTOR, (along with IE, Direct9X and C++ (all on CrossOver) because a vid on youtube said it was necessary) but i keep getting one of two errors

1st and far more common, "the patch has failed to download", for the record my connection is fine and my firewall is disabled.

2nd "you do not have administrative permission" the weird part about that is that the little window that says so seems to have a more windows format, (font, grey window, the button ( i don't know if i'm explaining this right)) like it's the windows partition that doesn't recognise the authority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.