Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm thinking of replacing my hosting company email with Google Docs business mail. Seem to be no cons except the $10/month and not worrying about email seems worth the price. I'm thinking it would be more reliable, with better features and management. This would be for one small business web site needing only 1 mailbox and several aliases. Would this be a substantial improvement or trivial? An IT guy friend of mine uses it for his Photography business and he swears by it.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I'm thinking of replacing my hosting company email with Google Docs business mail. Seem to be no cons except the $10/month and not worrying about email seems worth the price. I'm thinking it would be more reliable, with better features and management. This would be for one small business web site needing only 1 mailbox and several aliases. Would this be a substantial improvement or trivial? An IT guy friend of mine uses it for his Photography business and he swears by it.

Do you mean business Gmail as outlined here:
http://www.google.com/intx/en/enterprise/apps/business/products.html#gmail

That's an excellent suggestion and seems a good fit based on your description, but you were not very specific as to features. Please tell us what mail features you would LIKE to have so we might suggest something else if you want to continue shopping around?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Do you mean business Gmail as outlined here:
http://www.google.com/intx/en/enterprise/apps/business/products.html#gmail

That's an excellent suggestion and seems a good fit based on your description, but you were not very specific as to features. Please tell us what mail features you would LIKE to have so we might suggest something else if you want to continue shopping around?

Thanks for reply. That's the one. We need mail addresses at our domain which is reliable and requires no or very little admin on our part. Large mailbox (30 GB), permanence, reliability, excellent search, you also get 30 GB GDrive plus GDocs word proc. Collaboration and sharing among users. We have two users and would use a max of maybe four aliases between us. Looking for something we don't have to think about.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have no idea of the traffic of your site, if it's a small business site, a few 1000 hits a day, you could try a shared host that offers 'unlimited' email and cpanel setup. A couple come to mind, HostGator and JustHost. They both offer fairly inexpensive hosting packages and email just comes along for the ride.

You can easily setup email accounts through cpanel: literally one click, type in the email name and click update. Whenever I setup new sites for clients I add in the ubiquitos info@yourdomain.com, abuse@yourdomain.com, postmaster@yourdomain.com, ect... and throw in whatever they wish, eric@yourdomain.com, sally@yourdomain.com. From there you just have to configure your mail client or setup the webmail ( I prefer roundcube ).

I don't have enough caffeine in me yet, so please forgive the ramble if i'm completely barking up the wrong tree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.