Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I was doing some research and knew I needed to get an IPad Mini AT&T 4g LTE if I wanted to make the swap from my tmobile plan. So I went to the tmobile store to have them make me a nano sim for $20, which deactivated my current gsm SIM card. I place the new nano sim in the iPad mini an voila, tmobile pops up with 3G in upper left corner. I think everything is in the good but I try to use the Internet and its a no go. I go through the apn settings and use fast.t- mobile.com, epc.tmobile.com, epic.tmobile.com, etc... And none of them work. I live in San Diego btw where I am able to get 3G/4g on my galaxy nexus so I'm wondering why my prepaid data plan is not working here. The only thing I can think of is updating the carrier settings to 14.1 but I still don't have the option through options and about page. The current OS is 6.1.3. I think when LTE rolls here I won't have any problems finally getting data but this makes no sense. Will the apple store help me in this situation?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Try going to Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings.

When I switched from Straighttalk (ATT MVNO) to T-Mobile on my unlocked ATT iPhone, data would show up but not work until I reset the network settings.

Good luck, hope this works.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I had just bought the ipad from another owner and did a full reset. now that it's on 6.1.3 I will try the network reset and see if that does anything.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Yeah, did network reset and no changes.

Is there anyone on here using an ipad mini with a tmobile sim card and getting data? Please tell me what carrier you are on 14 or 14.1 and what APN settings you have. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do on my part or else I'm stuck with another "wifi" ipad.:confused:

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Did itunes as well. that is how I went from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3. I also didn't find any additional updates and my itunes is the latest version.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I plan on going to apple store tomorrow to see if they have a carrier update available. Tmobile is planning on releasing iPad mini 2 this summer so hence why it should work and some of the YouTube videos I've seen people have been able to pull speedtests on them.

Saboles

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Same thing here, on AT&T iPad wifi/cellular with TMobile. Purchased in December and had been using my iPhone 4 sim since then. About a month ago, it all stopped working, despite 4G/LTE being displayed in upper left corner. I have tried one other Tmobile sim card with the same result. Both of the SIM cards data work in cell phones. On May 10th, I went to the local (Kansas City) Apple Store. Same thing happens in new iPad. Tech had no real answers and basically claimed that there wasn't a lot they can do since they don't support Tmobile on the iPad.

Here is where it gets funny....through trial and error we learned that the tmobile sim data works just fine in a Verizon iPad (unexplainably). The thing is no LTE on Tmobile with a Verizon iPad.

Tmobile has no answers when you call them, just a canned response that they don't guarantee functionality on devices they don't sell. Someone at Tmobile has to know something, but nobody is coming off with the answer.

I agree it has something to do with the carrier update. That's about when mine stopped working. That is also the same time they publicly reported LTE was up in several markets including Kansas City.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
what i did is get a $30 at&t data plan, then imported my prepaid tmobile number for $20 to google voice. everything works just fine now, receive all texts, voicemails, and at&t 4g lte is pretty fast. i of course use a bt headset, but I'm happy with my results.:)

rrbc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Using Tmobile microsim in iPad

You have to do the activation right. I have heard of people who use the $30/month 5GB phone plan, but I chose the Tmobile prepaid mobile broadband plan for flexibility. First, I ordered the phone microsim* activation kit. Then I called Tmobile CS to activate. I told them I wanted to use the SIM in an iPad. They did a workaround in their system to activate for use in an iPad, since the broadband plans are normally only used in Tmobile devices. Buy or give them a plan PIN to start service.
Tip 1: In order to set up an online account, you have to temporarily move the activated SIM to a phone so you can receive the sms activation code (iPad cannot receive this).
Tip 2: Call 877-720-5195 to renew the prepaid mobile broadband plan. This is a 2-Step Process; buy, then load. Wait for the Second Prompt before you hang up.
*I use an iPad 3.

Last edited:

rrbc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Alternatives for iPad Tmobile data

T-Mobile blocks SIMs activated on phone plans from working in T-Mobile branded hotspots, USB modems and tablets (maybe they have finally figured out to block iPads using their phone plan SIMs too). Using T-Mobile service, a mobile broadband plan is required for T-mobile devices. T-Mobile MVNO SIMs don't seem to have the same restriction. For example, when I just want to use a small amount of data, I get my T-mobile 4G hotspot with Ptel Pay-Go SIM (10c/mb). I get 8 mbs down and 2.4 mbps up at my house, and can find a fast connection many more places than I can with the iPad Tmobile SIM, which uses the 1900 MHz channel for 3G in re-farmed areas. I will order a Lycamobile SIM to try in the hotspot (6c/mb). Am not sure it will work, since unlike Ptel, these SIMs roam on Tmobile and require an unlocked device.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I couldn't go anywhere for support to use an AT&T iPad mini on my $30 tmobile plan.i still brought my tmobile number with me through google voice and 3gb of LTE is more than enough on AT&T.

karlegas

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I couldn't go anywhere for support to use an AT&T iPad mini on my $30 tmobile plan.i still brought my tmobile number with me through google voice and 3gb of LTE is more than enough on AT&T.

I have similar plan and I was working few months ago with the iPad, trying to use it in my iPad 4 I get T-Mobile service and it says LTE next to the signal bars, however trying to access the internet takes me to a T-Mobile login page (the SIM is currently on the prepaid plan of Waltmart), looks the operator detects the iPad and not give the service like the phone.

Maybe there is a way to fooled T-Mobile and not use the broadband expensive plans.

Karl

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012

did you activate the sim on the ipad or at at&t website?
I have an att sim but will only activate thru their website,which I don't want to do.
Thanks!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Anyone come up with any solutions to this lately? The ATT iPad mini is connecting to the network just fine so don't know what to do, just isn't loading data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.