Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hello!

I am want to mirror the display on Mac to a Windows PC. Preferably through Wi-Fi network without an internet connection, means through a wi-fi router.

I looked into solutions and found some alternatives such as turning the windows pc into an airplay server using AirServer. What I want to know is it possible to turn on Airplay Mirroring on my Mac (10.8) then get the display mirrored using applications such as Airserver? There are plenty which support airplay mirroring for iPhone/iPad to Windows so I want to know if its possible for Mac to Windows.

Or any alternatives to mirror the display to Windows. Any help highly appreciated! :) Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
AirDisplay might be what you are looking for, though I do not know, if it is able to actually MIRROR a display.

Why do you want to do this in the first place, or what do you want to accomplish?

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
AirDisplay might be what you are looking for, though I do not know, if it is able to actually MIRROR a display.

Why do you want to do this in the first place, or what do you want to accomplish?

It does specify that it can Mirror the Mac Display should give it a try sometime.

I have a presentation coming up next week and the projector supports only VGA input. I ordered a Mini Display to VGA adapter which is still in shipping. So I am looking at alternatives if the adapter doesn't arrive in time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am want to mirror the display on Mac to a Windows PC. Preferably through Wi-Fi network without an internet connection, means through a wi-fi router.
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
VNC client software will let you view your Mac desktop on a PC; and control your Mac from there too.

You can probably get a decent windows VNC app for free; the Mac is already set up to handle it.

This looks to be a list of popular Windows apps:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/softwareapplicationstools/tp/top-vnc-free-software-downloads.htm
Thanks a lot! I will look into using this method as it seems much easier to do.

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

I did consider team viewer as I had used it back in the day but the thing is will it be possible to disable all the menu items and such? As it'll be a presentation I don't want others to see them.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks a lot! I will look into using this method as it seems much easier to do.

I did consider team viewer as I had used it back in the day but the thing is will it be possible to disable all the menu items and such? As it'll be a presentation I don't want others to see them.
There is a presentation mode. I haven't used it in a while, but read the TeamViewer documentation on it.

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
There is a presentation mode. I haven't used it in a while, but read the TeamViewer documentation on it.

Yeah I tired it yesterday worked flawlessly! Connected using a LAN Cable and no hassles. The Presentation mode didn't work but the Remote mode with the menus hidden worked :) Thanks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.