Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I recently bought a 11" Macbook Air and it seems like I really lost the screen lottery: not only did I not get a Samsung, I didn't even get an LG! I ended up with AUO screen, which seems very washed out and dull looking, even at the higher brightness settings.

Any others have this screen, and can you recommend a good color profile (or is this screen beyond being saved by a different profile)?

Unfortunately I bought the computer through my university so I can't just exchange it in the hopes of getting a better screen.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I recently bought a 11" Macbook Air and it seems like I really lost the screen lottery: not only did I not get a Samsung, I didn't even get an LG! I ended up with AUO screen, which seems very washed out and dull looking, even at the higher brightness settings.

Any others have this screen, and can you recommend a good color profile (or is this screen beyond being saved by a different profile)?

Unfortunately I bought the computer through my university so I can't just exchange it in the hopes of getting a better screen.

I have that screen. To me it looks fine, except for the vertical viewing angle. Someone on another thread had a couple of profiles made with a Spyder; gives it a bit more contrast. At least I have no bad pixels and pretty even lighting. Hinge is good. No damage to casing. I'm happy.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Go into preferences and enhance the screen contrast. This should help a lot.

de.user

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I think the screen question is overrated. Just look for MBA 11 tests. The screen has 60% sRGB coverage (no matter if Samsung, LG, AUO). It is TN. It is okay, but not the best. The display on the 15 inch MBP is better (99% sRGB coverage).
But my professional external screen has full sRGB coverage and 107% AdobeRGB coverage. That display plays in another league.

I have a AUO display in my MBA 11" 2013, too. Just a few days ago I ran the calibration with X-Rite Colormunki spectrophotometer and Argyll CMS. You will find my profile here:

View attachment MBA Argyll native 2013-09-15 2.2 MQ-HQ 3xCurve+MTX.icc.zip

The calibration was set to use native white point from screen and the brightness of the screen was -5 (five bars less from full brightness).

The profile works very well and improves the color rendering from the screen a lot. Please give me a short reply if it looks good for you, too.

Kaizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Thanks for sharing your profile. I won't be able to test it out though - my screen was so terrible I ended up returning the computer. I'm just going to wait for the MacBook Pro retina refresh.

sheheryou

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
good,Go into preferences and enhance the screen contrast. This should help a lot.
QP

yukisan

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks good profile, but it's still yellowish.

Hi. de.user and everyone.

thank you good profile, de.user.

It's much better than the default profile. But I feel it is a yellowish color still.
Could you adjust to a little more bluish and white?

I also use MacBook air of LG and SAMSUNG. And I'm using "Color LCD-12.icc" for MBA of LG. It's really great color and contrast with LG display.
The profile makes LG display almost the same color as SAMSUNG display.
In this profile, dirty yellow disappeared.

And, I also tried another profile before, it is also better than default. However, it is difficult to see dark, and bit yellowish still.
View attachment AUO_Profile_1.icc.zip

I check this site for display ability.
The Lagom LCD monitor test pages. (White saturation) (Black level)

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.