Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got tired of using the OS X version of excel and have since created a boot camp partition. The upside of this, is its the best performance (I also have other apps I need to run which are better via native execution vs. VMs).

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I agree with the majority of posts - Windows Excel runs much faster in a VM than native Mac Excel. The Mac version is tolerable on simple spreadsheets, but maddening on complex spreadsheets (the kind we mostly rely on here at work)

Another thing to consider is that if you need to run any Excel add-ons, they probably won't work on a Mac. That was the deal breaker for me.

Office 365 gives you access to both versions, and will allow you to upgrade to the expected new version of Mac Office when it's finally released.

mstrout

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Rewriting PC version shortcuts

I worked in banking for years and have been very very accustomed to the PC Excel shortcuts. I'd prefer to work on a Mac so I'm curious whether it's worth just rewriting PC version shortcuts.

There is the option, as I understand, to manually write custom shortcuts within Mac Excel. Has anyone just tried to re-write all the PC version shortcuts within Mac Excel? Are there limitations in doing so? The first issue I noticed was re-writing the Paste Special shortcuts. Whereas in PC Excel you can type Alt+E+S to pull up Paste Special and then various shortcuts from there (i.e. +T for Paste Special Format Only), I could only seem to go so far as to re-write Paste Special in Mac, but not the various Paste Special iterations beyond.

Any thoughts?

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,
To virtualize Office, what does work best in your opinion, Parallels or Fusion?

Please advise, thanks, daniele

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hello,
To virtualize Office, what does work best in your opinion, Parallels or Fusion?

Please advise, thanks, daniele

Both offer trials so try both? Personally, I think Vmware Fusion is more stable and robust product. I've had stability issues with Parallels, though that was with an older version.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Both offer trials so try both? Personally, I think Vmware Fusion is more stable and robust product. I've had stability issues with Parallels, though that was with an older version.

Thanks for the reply.

I will try them both for sure.

One doubt, does Fusion allow the dock integration of the Excel, opening it as it were a Mac native application without having to open the VM and the Excel?

Thanks,
daniele

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the reply.

One doubt, does Fusion allow the dock integration of the Excel, opening it as it were a Mac native application without having to open the VM and the Excel?

Thanks,
daniele

I don't believe their is a lot to choose between Fusion and Parallels. Parallels has today just released a new version 10, which is comparable with Yosemite. I have used Parallels for years, without any stability problems.

Parallels allows you to chose which Application files you want to open by default in Mac or Windows. I have set mine to use the OS X as the default option for MS Office files. I can't comment on Fusion as I don't use it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks,
daniele

Yes, Vmware offers that level of integration. Technically though both Parallels and Vmware start up to run the application, its just that you don't see the windows desktop. The App starts up from the dock.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Yes, Vmware offers that level of integration. Technically though both Parallels and Vmware start up to run the application, its just that you don't see the windows desktop. The App starts up from the dock.

Thank you so much.

Would you mind advising how to do this? I have looked up but I have not found a tutorial.

I have a VM with windows 8 installed, now I am about to install office. An then?

Thanks again, daniele

Giev

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
Performance

Excel for Mac is single threaded, and that alone has a huge performance impact.

Any serious excel workload within a Paralles VM will beat the native Excel@Mac. Its not even a competition.

Dave Bruns

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Excel shortcuts

I've used VMWare + Excel running on WinXP and now Windows7 for years without much trouble. In general, it's stable and fast on a mid-range 2008 iMac with 6 GB of RAM. Because I'm not a heavy windows user these days (I just fire up VMWare when needed) I don't save any files to the windows environment. Instead, I save all files back to the mac side and let time machine back them up. This is actually pretty cool, because you can treat the windows environment as a "disposable shell": I keep a backup on a large external drive (the win image is about 50 GB, and changes all the time, so you'll probably want to exclude this from Time Machine) and when things go wrong on Windows (every year or so...) I just throw it in the trash and grab a copy of my backup. In a twisted way, it's actually better than windows :)

All that said, I use Excel 2011 daily on the Mac and, for casual use, it works great. With larger files, you will notice slower performance, but for many things, it's absolutely fine.

Excel for Mac is much slower and missing a few of the key keyboard shortcuts I use every day -like F2 to edit a cell, ALT + to total a column of numbers, etc.

However, all of the shortcuts that make excel a breeze on windows are not as apparent on the Mac.

The shortcuts do cause some headaches, mostly because there are so many to keep track of. However, most shortcuts do exist on both platforms, they are just sometimes different for the same action. I have a (nearly) complete side-by-side list here: https://exceljet.net/keyboard-shortcuts

[full disclosure: I created that list of shortcuts. I'm always looking to add or update, if you know of others]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.