Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
rimmi2002
macrumors member

Deleted Mail Messages are not going to Trash

Hi I just got my first iphone. I have AT&T 4S....its a great phone. Only thing that is annoying me is that when I delete something from my mail...it disappears into thin air. Never makes it to the trash folder...like normally deleted from gmail or sparrow does. I have lost some very important e-mail with this if I accidentally touch the delete button.

I checked under settings--->mail-->mail account-->advanced and deleted items are listed to go the "Trash" on server. Its not happening though. I tried to change the folder...and still no luck...actually after changing the folder, when I exit and go back to the mail setting it automatically sets back to the trash folder on server regardless of which folder I assigned it.

Any help will be great. Please advice. Thanks.
rimmi2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002 View Post
Hi I just got my first iphone. I have AT&T 4S....its a great phone. Only thing that is annoying me is that when I delete something from my mail...it disappears into thin air. Never makes it to the trash folder...like normally deleted from gmail or sparrow does. I have lost some very important e-mail with this if I accidentally touch the delete button.

I checked under settings--->mail-->mail account-->advanced and deleted items are listed to go the "Trash" on server. Its not happening though. I tried to change the folder...and still no luck...actually after changing the folder, when I exit and go back to the mail setting it automatically sets back to the trash folder on server regardless of which folder I assigned it.

Which email service is this in reference to (e.g. iCloud)?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:32 PM   #3
rimmi2002
macrumors member

for gmail. I am not syncing my mail through icloud.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
ajohnson253
macrumors 68000

You need to go to settings, then mail. Click on each email account you'd like and go to the bottom it says archive messages. Make sure that is off. Now when you delete your emails you do not want it will go straight to the trash.
ajohnson253 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Okay. How is your Gmail account set up (e.g. Exchange)? Sorry for the questions but understanding your exact setup will help those trying to troubleshoot.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Settings-->mail-->mail account-->Archive Messages

What's the status of this switch?

As for accidentally deleting messages: how are you managing to accidentally swipe the message & then follow that up by accidentally pressing the delete button? Just curious. ;-)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
You need to go to settings, then mail. Click on each email account you'd like and go to the bottom it says archive messages. Make sure that is off. Now when you delete your emails you do not want it will go straight to the trash.
If your email is set up via IMAP, the above should do the trick.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Gmail messages can't actually be deleted from the iPhone mail app. They are getting "Archived" instead. They will be in your "All Mail" folder.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Almy
macrumors 6502

Yes you can delete messages from the iPhone mail app. You just have to follow the given instructions and chose not to archive them in your settings.
Almy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:12 AM   #10
rimmi2002
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00f View Post
Settings-->mail-->mail account-->Archive Messages

What's the status of this switch?

As for accidentally deleting messages: how are you managing to accidentally swipe the message & then follow that up by accidentally pressing the delete button? Just curious. ;-)
Thanks that seemed to do the trick. I guess I was archiving the messages and thought they were disappearing. Any advantage of archiving vs. deleting? Seems like the archiving process went a lot faster than deleting it. Now the icon in the middle changed from down arrow to a trash box. How do I delete with swipe and delete button? Sorry a newbie to iphone don't know all the gestures. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 PM   #11
funn1bunn1
macrumors newbie

I want to say thank you for making this thread. I just retrieve a very important email from the All Mail folder from the Apple mail. What happened is that I didn't know what the middle button in the Iphone mail app does, and I clicked it, so glad it was just sent to the Archive.
funn1bunn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:46 PM   #12
puppers
Banned

Surprised I have not see anyone mention this.

Set up google as exchange HERE

THEN MOST IMPORTANTLY do this after.

Open safari (not any other browser) on the iPhone. Go to m.google.com/sync and select ipad, then select "enable" "delete email as trash". Once this is done hit save. Now if you delete in MAIL it will be in trash in Gmail online.
puppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone