Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rimmi2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hi I just got my first iphone. I have AT&T 4S....its a great phone. Only thing that is annoying me is that when I delete something from my mail...it disappears into thin air. Never makes it to the trash folder...like normally deleted from gmail or sparrow does. I have lost some very important e-mail with this if I accidentally touch the delete button.

I checked under settings--->mail-->mail account-->advanced and deleted items are listed to go the "Trash" on server. Its not happening though. I tried to change the folder...and still no luck...actually after changing the folder, when I exit and go back to the mail setting it automatically sets back to the trash folder on server regardless of which folder I assigned it.

Any help will be great. Please advice. Thanks.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hi I just got my first iphone. I have AT&T 4S....its a great phone. Only thing that is annoying me is that when I delete something from my mail...it disappears into thin air. Never makes it to the trash folder...like normally deleted from gmail or sparrow does. I have lost some very important e-mail with this if I accidentally touch the delete button.

I checked under settings--->mail-->mail account-->advanced and deleted items are listed to go the "Trash" on server. Its not happening though. I tried to change the folder...and still no luck...actually after changing the folder, when I exit and go back to the mail setting it automatically sets back to the trash folder on server regardless of which folder I assigned it.

Which email service is this in reference to (e.g. iCloud)?

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
You need to go to settings, then mail. Click on each email account you'd like and go to the bottom it says archive messages. Make sure that is off. Now when you delete your emails you do not want it will go straight to the trash. :)

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009

Settings-->mail-->mail account-->Archive Messages

What's the status of this switch?

As for accidentally deleting messages: how are you managing to accidentally swipe the message & then follow that up by accidentally pressing the delete button? Just curious. ;-)

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
You need to go to settings, then mail. Click on each email account you'd like and go to the bottom it says archive messages. Make sure that is off. Now when you delete your emails you do not want it will go straight to the trash. :)

If your email is set up via IMAP, the above should do the trick.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Yes you can delete messages from the iPhone mail app. You just have to follow the given instructions and chose not to archive them in your settings.

rimmi2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Settings-->mail-->mail account-->Archive Messages

What's the status of this switch?

As for accidentally deleting messages: how are you managing to accidentally swipe the message & then follow that up by accidentally pressing the delete button? Just curious. ;-)

Thanks that seemed to do the trick. I guess I was archiving the messages and thought they were disappearing. Any advantage of archiving vs. deleting? Seems like the archiving process went a lot faster than deleting it. Now the icon in the middle changed from down arrow to a trash box. How do I delete with swipe and delete button? Sorry a newbie to iphone don't know all the gestures. Thanks for the help.

funn1bunn1

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I want to say thank you for making this thread. I just retrieve a very important email from the All Mail folder from the Apple mail. What happened is that I didn't know what the middle button in the Iphone mail app does, and I clicked it, so glad it was just sent to the Archive.

puppers

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Detroit, MI
Surprised I have not see anyone mention this.

Set up google as exchange HERE

THEN MOST IMPORTANTLY do this after.

Open safari (not any other browser) on the iPhone. Go to m.google.com/sync and select ipad, then select "enable" "delete email as trash". Once this is done hit save. Now if you delete in MAIL it will be in trash in Gmail online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.