Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:18 PM   #151
adder7712
macrumors 68000

So it's ok for Apple to use plastic but no other manufacturers?

Granted, it's a low-end phone but still...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:54 PM   #152
Syk
macrumors 6502a

I think plastic is fine just like it is for Samsung. My phone is in a plastic case anyway.
Syk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:09 PM   #153
apolloa
macrumors 601

I don't mind plastic on mid range or low end phones, despite that the Nexus 4 uses glass like the iPhone 4, but I don't think Samsung should use plastic for the Galaxy S4 and then charge the same for it as the HTC one, Xperia Z, iPhone etc. And why can't Samsung use metal or glass like everyone else?
apolloa is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:22 PM   #154
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
So it's ok for Apple to use plastic but no other manufacturers?

Granted, it's a low-end phone but still...
heh heh, I think you answer your own question. If you pay $600-700 for a phone, you expect good quality. If you pay $300-400, you expect lesser quality. Like it or not, the look and feel of a smartphone is part of what we get for our money. Some people care a lot about the looks and feel while other don't. I think the interesting rumor is that the low cost iphone will use a shell make with a material mixing plastic and fiber glass. It should be interesting to make the comparison for phone in the same $300-400 price point and see how Apple come out.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:32 AM   #155
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZap View Post
Honestly, this is the most sensible rumor I've seen.
They need to retire the 4 and 4S this year in order to get all phones on the same 4" screen and lightning connector.
Agreed about the 4 and 4s. It sounds sensible enough as far as streamlining of product lines is concerned: An iPhone 5s and a 5, each in two configurations, ie the GSM/CDMA world version and the TD Chinese version. Where it gets more convoluted is, when onboard memory and colors are added to the mix. If they could come up with a single GSM/CDMA/TD chip, that would of course cut the line up in half.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 PM   #156
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post

But don't you think it will eat into margins? If I can get a similar spec iPhone for mega cheap why would I get the expensive one?

It's like the mini. It has to eat into 9.7" iPad sales...
Yeah... if you can get a "similar" iPhone for half the price of the "good" iPhone... I bet many people would just got for the cheaper one instead.

I'm just wondering what kind of line Apple will draw to differentiate the two types of iPhone.

Currently... Apple sells older iPhones for lower prices. But they aren't low enough for some markets. I have no idea how they will make a less-expensive, but truly capable iPhone.

iPods come in all shapes and sizes... from the $49 iPod Shuffle to the $399 iPod Touch. But they are two different devices with different use-cases.

I don't know how they can put the name "iPhone" on something that won't deliver the full iPhone experience.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:36 AM   #157
AllieNeko
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozumder View Post
Bring back the original iPhone, without 3G/4G/LTE, and put in a modern CPU & display. It would be perfect for all the people that don't only needs a phone & iPod without an annoying data plan.
Except, of course, for the severe lack of coverage. AT&T no longer has GSM (2G) over their entire network area. Even in places that do, some areas (such as New York) are running minimal and severely overloaded GSM networks to allow an additional UMTS (3G) channel. This is why AT&T doesn't allow 3G disable options on phones they sell. They want to shut down GSM. No AT&T phone, even prepaid, sold today does not support UMTS.

So no, no that isn't an option at all.
AllieNeko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:48 AM   #158
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilzVT View Post
Beginning of the end for Apple if this happens.

They're not a company who competes on price by giving up quality.
What in the report suggests a drop in quality? Plastic? A flexible plastic case actually would give almost the same - if not more - protection to the device internals than a rigid metal case.

I see no problems with a cheaper iPhone enclosed in a plastic case (but with a Gorilla Glass) like in the Samsung devices. The same way I like my late-2009 White Macbook. If a metal body gave me waterproof resistance then it would be another story.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Except, of course, for the severe lack of coverage. AT&T no longer has GSM (2G) over their entire network area. Even in places that do, some areas (such as New York) are running minimal and severely overloaded GSM networks to allow an additional UMTS (3G) channel. This is why AT&T doesn't allow 3G disable options on phones they sell. They want to shut down GSM. No AT&T phone, even prepaid, sold today does not support UMTS.

So no, no that isn't an option at all.
Except in other countries. Here in Brazil GSM is the rule, 3G/HSDPA is only available in the big cities. Nokia still sells a lot of 2G-only + WiFi phones here. This is what I always say, but Apple needs to change its way of thinking when designing a cheaper iPhone. It has nothing to do with less build quality but it has to do with what subset of features is best to the consumers of a less expensive iPhone.
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 AM   #159
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
(...)
Currently... Apple sells older iPhones for lower prices. But they aren't low enough for some markets. I have no idea how they will make a less-expensive, but truly capable iPhone.(...)
Think of an iPhone 4 in a cheaper case, no 4G/LTE, 8GB of internal memory, no retina display.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:41 AM   #160
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post

Think of an iPhone 4 in a cheaper case, no 4G/LTE, 8GB of internal memory, no retina display.
I guess... but then they'd have to sell it for at least $299 to maintain the Apple brand and profit margins. Remember... Apple doesn't ship junk.

There are still Android phones that you can buy unlocked for $149... Apple isn't competing against those, right?
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:41 AM   #161
CoolSpot
macrumors member

The real question is "How will Apple cripple this phone so that the high-end iphones remain attractive?"

They certainly aren't going to let people get away with just a plastic case and the full iphone experience.
CoolSpot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:09 PM   #162
Premium1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post
Am I the only person who no longer wants thinner and lighter?
The new iPhone 5 is almost too light. It needs to have some heft, otherwise, it makes it hard to hold.
Agree make it a little thicker with a larger battery
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:10 PM   #163
i486dx2-66
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSpot View Post
The real question is "How will Apple cripple this phone so that the high-end iphones remain attractive?"

They certainly aren't going to let people get away with just a plastic case and the full iphone experience.
One possibility is that it basically matches the iPhone 5 for features, but doesn't have the advanced features that the next premium iPhone will have. So it isn't "crippled" at all (relative to what is available now) - it just doesn't get whatever hardware improvements are coming next.
i486dx2-66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:11 PM   #164
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
I guess... but then they'd have to sell it for at least $299 to maintain the Apple brand and profit margins. Remember... Apple doesn't ship junk.

There are still Android phones that you can buy unlocked for $149... Apple isn't competing against those, right?
I think the lowest end phone that Apple can make would be someone that could compete with a Galaxy Ace II. Actually, a less expensive iPhone would cost the price of a Galaxy SIII Mini, but would be just slightly better than an Ace II.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #165
mossme89
macrumors 6502

If the build quality is at least on par with the iPod Touch, it should be a hit. Take the new Touch for a spin. Yeah it's plastic, but it still feels great. My biggest worry with a low cost iPhone is an antiquated processor. I hope it at least has an A6. An A5 is starting to be a bit dated.
mossme89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:19 PM   #166
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

The cheaper iPhone is as always, the 2 year old iPhone at new iPhone launch event.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:57 AM   #167
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Instagram was iPhone-only and now that every Android has it, it sucks.

The same with the iPhone; "premium" people (ugh, what a horrible word did I choose) buy Apple products and now that everyone will be able to get one it won't be cool and exclusive anymore. D:
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:27 PM   #168
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I know what you mean. I wouldn't get one personally but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

These look really nice:

Is this actually available somewhere?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:31 PM   #169
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
Is this actually available somewhere?
Maybe this place?

https://mendmyi.com/colourlab-v2/iphone/iphone-5/

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #170
Droidrage729
macrumors 6502

Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-...

I think spec wise the cheaper iPhone 5 will have 4s internals with maybe a 5 mp camera. Which I am ok with long as its 300-350. I have never had an issue with plastic phones its all I've had since I got my iPhone 5 and my thought process when getting one was whoa it's gunna be awesome to have an aluminum phone yessss.
Droidrage729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:44 AM   #171
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Looking back, clearly it was unwise to expect one iPhone model to carry the load for an enormous company competing in a 7 billion person market.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion