Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Where can I buy a 20", generic 1280x800 LCD?

Hello. I an looking for an LCD, but not one for an Apple product or any product at all, just a plain old bare LCD with the board and cable. It needs to use an "industry standard" connection if at all possible, and it'll help if its thin. I have been looking for days and have come up empty handed. I also need the option to possibly order in bulk. I have thought about asking suppliers but I don't know where to start!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

Your best bet is to look in non-consumer areas. Consumer tech is way past that resolution/size so you might have to call around to business suppliers to see if they have any old stock. It probably won't be 'thin', as these LCDs are built to be long lasting (well, long lasting back when they started making it, you'll probably be getting moderately old models/stock) and be in use almost 24/7 as information displays in public areas.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
Your best bet is to look in non-consumer areas. Consumer tech is way past that resolution/size so you might have to call around to business suppliers to see if they have any old stock. It probably won't be 'thin', as these LCDs are built to be long lasting (well, long lasting back when they started making it, you'll probably be getting moderately old models/stock) and be in use almost 24/7 as information displays in public areas.
The reason I chose this resolution was to get a better price, but the more I think about it I should probably get at least 1080p. If they are newer generation that'll be better. I plan on emailing some suppliers (like Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc.) For prices. Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Staples almost always has some 20" 1600x900 or so namebrand monitor on sale each week for around $89.

All my laptops at home and work have a 20"-23" monitor externally hooked up. The second screen really improves productivity, because I can leave mostly static items (mail, IM, debugger, etc) up in that side screen ... almost like a dashboard... while I do most dynamic work in the main screen.

Also check out ubid.com.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Staples almost always has some 20" 1600x900 or so namebrand monitor on sale each week for around $89.

All my laptops at home and work have a 20"-23" monitor externally hooked up. The second screen really improves productivity, because I can leave mostly static items (mail, IM, debugger, etc) up in that side screen ... almost like a dashboard... while I do most dynamic work in the main screen.

Also check out ubid.com.
I'm just looking for a bare, OEM display. Not a whole monitor. Thanks though!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
notjustjay
macrumors 603

eBay?

Maybe some eBay shop somewhere can actually deal in higher volumes.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #7
tgurske
macrumors newbie

You can find anything that you want on here for bottom dollar. You can also email the suppliers and ask them and they will try to sell you whatever they have access to: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...sb=y&CatId=541

Also, http://www.pricewatch.com/monitors/
tgurske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

I'm looking for something like this http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/521948..._LCD_PANEL.jpg

Not a monitor or TV
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:12 PM   #9
tgurske
macrumors newbie

The first link I sent has 225,987 LCD modules: http://www.alibaba.com/LCD-Modules_pid400401

Like this one: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/64...LCD_Panel.html

and this one: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47...ch_Laptop.html

If you can't find it on there, it doesn't exist.

The second link has good deals so you might find a retail packaged display that you can disassemble that might be within your budget.
tgurske is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice