Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alhavel

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Hampton Bays NY
I just added 16Gigs of RAM to my 27" iMac, it came with 4. I cannot believe how it behaves!!!!! They never should have sold it with only 4, it's a mid 2011 Mac, and now I think I really have something, I'm putting it to the test right now.:) Changed out the entire 2x2 to 4x4, unreal, so happy!!!

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I got my Quadra running Handbrake in 10+ windows, ripping videos in each one, and its also pulling tree stumps in the field. I can't understand why it's so freakin' slow.

:rolleyes:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
As I noted in the edit of my post, the matching pairs does not apply to your machine. RAM slots over the years have had a cyclical requirement. A long time ago, with SIMMs, you often would have to upgrade in sets of two or four. I don't recall if this was technically required or a performance issue. Later, as the technology improved, you could have mismatched sets. If I recall correctly, that was with the advent of DIMMs. Then speed improvements with chipsets and motherboards changed things back to favoring matched pairs of DIMMs. In your machine's case, since there are only two slots, and Apple shipped them with a single slot filled, it is not required to install in pairs. My old 2002 iMac was like that. In fact, it had two completely different types of slots. One was for notebook DIMMs and was user upgradeable, the other took traditionally desktop DIMMs and was only upgradeable for the adventurous.

Your machine officially only supported 4 GB of RAM (2x2GB) when it shipped, but as memory density improved, it was found that you could install a new 4GB DIMM in one of the slots to increase the max to 6 GB. Something about the motherboard chipset must prevent addressing of a full 8GB. My current MacBook (the last of the MacBook line) Officially supported 4GB, but later the increased density RAM came out and now it has 8GB in it. Who knows, the new 27" iMac may eventually be capable of 64GB if 16GB DIMMs are released and if the chipset can address that much.

Flash
The Flash video problem might not be related to your RAM at all. Flash is well known to be a generally poor quality language, though I'm sure it was cutting edge when first released. Apple doesn't even support Flash on any iOS device as a result. I play a few Flash based games, and nothing else I do comes near maxing out my CPU for as little as is actually going on as Flash games do. Encoding video (albeit not super fast) doesn't even cripple my computer like some Flash games.

All I know is that one slot has 2GB module and the other has 1GB module, total 3GB and it seems to be working and my 2007 iMac is reporting 3GB RAM.

Youtube uses flash to play videos doesnt it? How I upgrade my flash?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Running an mid 2007 iMac, Snow Leopard and 1GB RAM. System runs slow, especially when I have 10 or more browser windows open, hear the hard drive constantly grinding, will adding RAM make a real difference? If so, how much should I add to see a real and genuine difference?

Yes. Tons. Do it. That iMac ought to take 4GB of RAM. Assuming your hard drive is otherwise, fine, that'll allow your machine to not only run well, but even run Mountain Lion well.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Yes. Tons. Do it. That iMac ought to take 4GB of RAM. Assuming your hard drive is otherwise, fine, that'll allow your machine to not only run well, but even run Mountain Lion well.

I did it, bought 2GB module for $30, and now running 3GB and even when I do a lot of personal multi-tasking, it runs smooth and fast and has no swap out.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Running an mid 2007 iMac, Snow Leopard and 1GB RAM. System runs slow, especially when I have 10 or more browser windows open, hear the hard drive constantly grinding, will adding RAM make a real difference? If so, how much should I add to see a real and genuine difference?

Yes it will. Add as much as you can afford to.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
All I know is that one slot has 2GB module and the other has 1GB module, total 3GB and it seems to be working and my 2007 iMac is reporting 3GB RAM.

Youtube uses flash to play videos doesnt it? How I upgrade my flash?

Adobe Flash, can be downloaded from their website. Often it will notify you that there is a newer version, but that setting might be OFF. I should also add that on occasions, Flash has been found to be vulnerable to attack, and so there have been recommendations to disable it. Kind of depends on what you do on the web, and if you run any other security software.

I'd get another 2GB module. With a machine that old, you want as much RAM in there as the thing will support.

Check not only what the official amount supported is, but also what the machine will really allow. Mine is officially supported to 4, but runs 8, as I explained earlier in this thread.

I have always used DataMem, because I have had excellent customer support from them over the years. They aren't always the cheapest, but everyone values different things when they shop. The support is worth it to me. Here is a link to their Apple section.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Adobe Flash, can be downloaded from their website. Often it will notify you that there is a newer version, but that setting might be OFF. I should also add that on occasions, Flash has been found to be vulnerable to attack, and so there have been recommendations to disable it. Kind of depends on what you do on the web, and if you run any other security software.

Check not only what the official amount supported is, but also what the machine will really allow. Mine is officially supported to 4, but runs 8, as I explained earlier in this thread.

I have always used DataMem, because I have had excellent customer support from them over the years. They aren't always the cheapest, but everyone values different things when they shop. The support is worth it to me. Here is a link to their Apple section.

If I disable flash, how am I suppose to view videos on youtube? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.