Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Rich2Putt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Windows 7 From Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...pr_product_top

From the Manufacturer
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 OEM to use in Bootcamp? If so, any issues in installation?

Thanks
Rich2Putt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
IndyBob
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2Putt View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...pr_product_top

From the Manufacturer
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Has anyone purchased Windows 7 OEM to use in Bootcamp? If so, any issues in installation?

Thanks
Yes, I have purchased 2 of them so far. No problem at all. Just remember the Windows 7 Builder Channel OS is married to the system board and cannot be used on another machine once it is activated.
__________________
27 inch iMac Late 2012, 24GB Ram, 1T Fusion, i5, OS 10.9 Mavericks
iPhone 5 32GB Verizon
iPad Air 32GB 4G Verizon
IndyBob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:41 PM   #3
THOPMedia
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
Yes, I have purchased 2 of them so far. No problem at all. Just remember the Windows 7 Builder Channel OS is married to the system board and cannot be used on another machine once it is activated.
Two questions:

What level of bloatware does the OEM version have compared to regular retail version?

Under what circumstances is it actually "legal" to use OEM software like this or is the only issue that it includes no customer support from MS?
THOPMedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOPMedia View Post
Two questions:

What level of bloatware does the OEM version have compared to regular retail version?
Only bloatware on the disc is Windows… just kidding. All it has is the OS, same as you'd find on a retail disc (the manufacturer is the one who images the bloatware onto the machine).

Quote:
Under what circumstances is it actually "legal" to use OEM software like this or is the only issue that it includes no customer support from MS?
OEM is meant to be installed on 'new' machines. It is also, as stated above, tied to the first machine it is installed on; you can reinstall it, just not on other machines like the retail license allows.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
THOPMedia
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
OEM is meant to be installed on 'new' machines. It is also, as stated above, tied to the first machine it is installed on; you can reinstall it, just not on other machines like the retail license allows.
Cool, I get that its "meant" to be installed only on new machines (by a manufacturer of computers) but being that I am not a manufacturer, nor is the OP, is it actually illegal or just simply unsupported by MS?
THOPMedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOPMedia View Post
Cool, I get that its "meant" to be installed only on new machines (by a manufacturer of computers) but being that I am not a manufacturer, nor is the OP, is it actually illegal or just simply unsupported by MS?
It's perfectly fine for a consumer, like you and the OP, to purchase and install it on a 'new' machine. The worst Microsoft could do to you if they decided that you're breaking the EULA/ToS is void your activation - though I've never heard of that happening to anyone for using an OEM license on a Mac.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC