Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
eyepea
macrumors member

Reading a HFS+ Encrypted Drive in Windows

I have an encrypted external hard drive that I encrypted through the standard OSX Mountain Lion Disk Utility (journaled encrypted). It is my 'back up of my backups' that I store off-site.

I was just wondering it the s#@t hit the fan and I lost all my Macs and I needed quick access to my drive can I read it on Windows through a program? I am guessing I would just need to read so I can copy it.

I can read HFS+ drive through Paralles, and I am aware of programs that allow you to read and write on HFS+ drives in Windows, but what about when it is encrypted?

I need to encrypt this drive because it has all my personal data and is stored off-site to if it is stolen I need the data to no be recoverable.

Why would I need to recover it in Windows? Well you never know... I might only have a Windows PC available if all anarchy breaks loose... Also I might need access to it via a Windows PC in an emergency.

I could reformat the drive as NTFS so it is readable on both as OSX has no problem reading NTFS, but then I am storing everything in Windows format (I would use Parallels to copy Mac files to the Windows drive) just for the unique possibility I would need to access it in Windows in an emergency. I would prefer to stick with Mac if possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help.

IP
eyepea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
maflynn

I believe because its encrypted you're out of luck. It really won't be readable as there's no tools to help you with this
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3
eyepea
macrumors member

Thanks Maflynn. That was my understanding as well. Not the end of the world, but would have been good to have a contingency plan that worked on Windows.

Thanks,

IP
eyepea is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac