Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Hi,

I have a 32gb iphone 4s that has mediocre battery life (not sure if it is below the 50% threshold) and I want to use applecare (a year left) to get it replaced at the apple store (in the states).

I charge it twice a day and constantly worry about the battery life.

I turn off bluetooth, minimise notifications, minimise brightness, turned off push mail, fetch once an hour, and I try not to use the phone. The standby time is like 9 hours with reasonable use. Mostly texting and a couple apps. I don't play games. Some ipod.

Other issues might be software. It does slow down and it has been crashing a fair bit. Nothing definitively wrong but I'd like a new one because the overall experience has degraded.

Can anyone give any relevant experience? I know sometimes you get a nice apple employee or sometimes you can be a really assertive or pushy customer to get more than officially allowed.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I have a 32gb iphone 4s that has mediocre battery life (not sure if it is below the 50% threshold) and I want to use applecare (a year left) to get it replaced at the apple store (in the states).

I charge it twice a day and constantly worry about the battery life.

I turn off bluetooth, minimise notifications, minimise brightness, turned off push mail, fetch once an hour, and I try not to use the phone. The standby time is like 9 hours with reasonable use. Mostly texting and a couple apps. I don't play games. Some ipod.

Other issues might be software. It does slow down and it has been crashing a fair bit. Nothing definitively wrong but I'd like a new one because the overall experience has degraded.

Can anyone give any relevant experience? I know sometimes you get a nice apple employee or sometimes you can be a really assertive or pushy customer to get more than officially allowed.

Why don't you try a restore? Saves you a trip to the apple store and it's what they're gonna tell you to do anyways.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If the battery is truly defective they can test it and confirm.

tried that.
You need to restore as new and use it stock so it's at a known "good" state which is standard troubleshooting. If the battery life issues disappear then the battery isn't the issue.

There's no reason for them to replace it if you have issues that aren't due to the battery itself and there are plenty of non-battery causes that you need to rule out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.